Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G2 or Encore, pros & cons #65438 02/28/2010 8:14 AM
240 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
G2 or Encore for a scoped handgun? Does one have a nicer trigger than the other? Better grip? etc? I plan on shooting straight walled cart. here in southern MI. I seem to run across more used contender barrels, so Im leaning that way. Anything in the Encore I might be overlooking?

Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: 240] #65440 02/28/2010 12:54 PM
silly goose Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I am new to the T/C's, but have a contender(not g2) and an encore. In my limited experience, I like the contender better, just because it is lighter and more compact, as well as it has a much better trigger, but this may just be between the two I have. And I am not looking for the super duperest to shoot 300 yards either. I think the only real advantage to the encore is the ability to shoot more potent cartridges, and possibly the weight to soak up a bit of recoil. The biggest deciding factor is what cartridges you would like to shoot, as well as how do they feel in your hand. The guys on this board will set you up soon enough, but thats my limited opinion. It would break my heart to choose between the two. Good luck.

I went from pow to Boom. I love the BOOM!
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: 240] #65441 02/28/2010 2:07 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The Contender has a much better trigger, lighter weight, smaller grip and shorter reach to the trigger. The Encore is better suited to anchor my duck boat, IMO. The G2 has the strength to handle most straightwall chamberings, if you can't kill it with a 45/70 it can't be killed. True, the Encore will handle more but how much more will you need. I prefer bolt guns for the bigger bottlenecks as they are inherently more accurate than the Encore. I know there are a lot of Encore lovers out there, but I am not one of them. Get the G2.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: silly goose] #65445 02/28/2010 2:18 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: 240gr&up
Here in southern MI. I seem to run across more used contender barrels, so Im leaning that way. Anything in the Encore I might be overlooking?

You probably see more Contender barrels because they have been around a lot longer.

The Encore handles 100% different with a nice set of custom grips!! There have been a few people on this sight that have handled my Encores that were really surprised to see how they both looked and felt in their hands.

Originally Posted By: silly goose
The biggest deciding factor is what cartridges you would like to shoot, as well as how do they feel in your hand.

Great advice Goose!!! The advantage of the Encore is that it can handle bigger rounds like the 454, 460 S&W, or 405Win. However, with these big rounds also comes significant recoil. LOL If you are willing to break the barrel that isn't an issue. But don't leave out the Contender!! It can do quite well with rounds like the 45-70(at moderate levels,) 375 win, 44 Mag(Just awesome out of the Contender) and even the great all powerful 445 Super mag!

Just because you can't find a caliber in a factory barrel don't count it out. MGM can make you a custom barrel at a great price! You can put one togeather yourself for about the same price as a good used package. Particularly if you shop the classifieds. In my experience, the hardiest part is just getting the frame.

Alright... I know I forgot something (I always do...LOL) But ultimately I am just anther posterior in the crowd!! So with all that being said... Tig??? Dan??? Rod??? Anyone else???

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: TCTex.] #65446 02/28/2010 2:24 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Well... I didn't have to list Rod! He beat me to the punch!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: TCTex.] #65449 02/28/2010 4:17 PM
Mike S Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am sorta NEW (5YRS) To this Compared to some here.
But I choose the G2 because of the way it feel's in my hand.
The Encore Just Doesnt Fit and its Heavy.
On the other hand the Encore Is a PERFECT RIFLE.I Already have Multiple Barrels for it.
I have been Tempted to Buy a Set of Custom Grips for the Encore.
And see how it FEEL'S That way !
Ofcorse I would then have to Buy another Frame For a Pistol
And then MORE BARREL'S For it along with the Barrels I am Aready
in the Prcess of Buying For my G2!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU CANT TELL ALREADY it's Vary ADDICTIVE Around HERE !!!!
And These Guy's are No HELP at all
\:\)

Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: s4s4u] #65450 02/28/2010 4:21 PM
SKR Offline
 Quote:
The Contender has a much better trigger, lighter weight, smaller grip and shorter reach to the trigger. True, the Encore will handle more but how much more will you need

That information concurs with all info I could find searching online in the largest differences and why some still prefer the original Contender frame over EITHER the G2 or Encore.

I was under the impression that BOTH the G2 and Encore had the same trigger differences from the older standard contenders?

The gunsmiths ( plural) I checked with to do "trigger work" lumped them in a dif group from the older Contenders as far as needing trigger work.

Is that incorrect?

I went with the original Contender and have to "rethink" the cartridges I want but I subscribe to the large group that most you do in that I have to be able to "put 'er there" first and foremost.

Regardless of how big a round I COULD shoot, what gun and round I CAN accurately shoot for humane hunting shots is numero uno for me and was the basis for 90 percent of my decision as was my necessity to keep the cost down.

Might buy an Encore someday but I don't think I REALLY have a "need" for more powerful rounds enough to justify the added costs involved.

Just my thoughts. Either of them will they have for others and fulfill your needs handily. It's just a matter of preferences IMHO.

Last edited by SKR; 02/28/2010 4:23 PM.

Thanks for putting up with me and GOD BLESS!
Steve
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: SKR] #65451 02/28/2010 4:52 PM
Mike S Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I Tried Both the G2 and the Encore Pistol frame on for size
BEFORE I Made Up My MIND .
The G2 Grip to Trigger reach was Perfect , The Encore was so
LONG that I Could ONLY TOUCH the TIP of my Trigger Finger to it.
The OLD STYLE Contenders I have Held Seem to be Close to the G2
in Reach. IMO
Weight Differance of Contender to G2 is Not real Noticable,
THE Encore is Heavy.
I am sure someone here can tell you the Actual Weight of each frame.

Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: Mike S] #65455 02/28/2010 7:38 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Something else to think about... When I grab an Encore it is because I am going to be shooting long(ger) distances. I usually have a set up that will utilize the use of a sandbag. In which case weight isn't an issue. What is really funny is that I am starting to grab a SRH more and more when my longest shot is 50-75 yards. So, I guess what I am getting at is think about what type of hunting "YOU" are going to be doing and buy what fits your needs. JMHO

Benjamin Franklin
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: TCTex.] #65457 02/28/2010 8:46 PM
240 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks for the responses everyone. I will probally start searching for used original contender frame. I've got my 4 5/8" Rugers unscoped for close stuff, Im interested in the Contender for its scope mounts and forearm, ... maybe a 120 yard shot off a rest? What is the pressure limit for the contender? I've seen a 480 Ruger barrel listed for the Encore, wondering if J.D. Jones could build one for the Contender? Need to do some research.

Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: 240] #65458 02/28/2010 8:54 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I don’t think a 480 is doable in a Contender...

Bullberry’s sight has a pretty good list of rounds you can chamber in the Contender.

http://www.bullberry.com/TCbarrels.html

http://www.matchgrademachine.com/chamberings_public.php

Benjamin Franklin
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: 240] #65459 02/28/2010 9:33 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Not to sound like a Contender "hate-er" but I have converted to all Encores. There is no question the trigger on the old T/C's is better but with a little work an Encore can be tuned pretty good.

This is my thought--- If I am shoot 100 yards or less I will be using one of my scoped wheel guns. For shots 100+ yards I like the Encore. A contender in most cases limits out at 250yards or so depending on the cal. But the Encore gives you a bit more power and extended range for the capable shooter.

I have Encores in 257 Roberts, 308 Win, 243 Win, 356 Win-- I can shoot 225 NAB's at 2400fps or 55gr NBT's at 3600 pretty good for anything 100+ yards

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: H2OBUG] #65461 02/28/2010 11:17 PM
240 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The 480 might not be a option in the contender. I see a couple 444 marlin Contenders on Gunbroker. And figured the 444 opperates @ 44,000 psi, the 480 @ 48,000 psi, maybe the cut off for the Contender is 45,000 psi? Not sure? Im gonna check tc's website.

Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: 240] #65462 02/28/2010 11:54 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: 240gr&up
The 480 might not be a option in the contender. I see a couple 444 marlin Contenders on Gunbroker. And figured the 444 opperates @ 44,000 psi, the 480 @ 48,000 psi, maybe the cut off for the Contender is 45,000 psi? Not sure? Im gonna check tc's website.

The Contender maximum is 42,000 PSI as stated by T/C. Larger case heads offer more backthrust than smaller ones so pressure is only a part ot it. The 480 is a no-go, as is the 454. If you load, a great straightwall big bore is the 445 Supermag. The 444 Marlin is on the edge and can be pushed over if not careful. The 45/70 is a great straightwall, you can asimilate 454 or 480 performance with less pressure, in the Contender or G2.

Rod, too.

Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: TCTex.] #65477 03/01/2010 3:17 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
The Encore handles 100% different with a nice set of custom grips!! There have been a few people on this sight that have handled my Encores that were really surprised to see how they both looked and felt in their hands.

If you ever get up this way, Duane, bring your pistols. I'd like to experience that ;-)

Rod, too.

Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: s4s4u] #65488 03/01/2010 7:54 AM
240 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

S4S4U,
Thanks for the Contenders specs. I looked on TC's website, but didn't see it.
I think as recommended earlier, I need to find a shop that has both pistols in stock, ...choose the gun, ...then pick a cartridge. Thank you fellas.

Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: s4s4u] #65491 03/01/2010 12:52 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
If you ever get up this way, Duane, bring your pistols. I'd like to experience that ;-)

Not a problem and anytime...

There are a couple of grip makers out their that will make a set to your hand dimensions! They well make the Encore handle TOTALLY different! Believe it or not, the have transformed my Encores from my secondary into my “go to” hunting set ups. Something I NEVER thought would happen.

Benjamin Franklin
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: TCTex.] #65496 03/01/2010 2:11 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Just a side note on the limits of the contender to add to what s4s4u said. Speaking of barrel diameter strictly. The contender barrel is just a litttle over .800" in diameter at the chamber. Then you drill 4 holes in the top of the barrel almost to the chamber in a parralel line with the chamber for a scope mount. So when the chamber is large like a 444 Marlin or 45 Colt and you run the pressures up more than the old cartridges were designed for it's flirting with disaster. It's kind of like squeezing an egg that already has a cracked shell. Of all the blown up contender barrels I have seen pictures of most were 444 Marlin, and split at the chamber.

The encore barrels are 1" in diameter so the extra "meat" will allow bigger cartridges with more pressure.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: 240] #65498 03/01/2010 2:22 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Thanks for the Contenders specs. I looked on TC's website, but didn't see it.

It's not on their website, but that is the number they specified not to excede, to those developing the load data; e.g Hodgdons, Accurate, Hornady, etc.

Rod, too.

Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: 240] #65500 03/01/2010 2:57 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
I have both the old Contenders, G-2 and Encores. I prefer the old Contender for me. However, I encourage "new" shooters to get the G-2. The biggest difference is the safety factor with the G-2. With the "old" Contenders if the hammer is ever pulled back & then released (not fired), the frame must be broken to reset the hammer. Otherwise, pulling the hammer back & releasing it will fire the pistol. I witnessed at 30-30 fired into the engine of a guide's vehicle by a "new" handgunner a few years ago because of that characteristic. For us "older" contender guys, we will often break a G-2 or Encore without thinking even about it.

Thus, if you purchase an "old" contender frame, learn to handle that factor.

In addition, the G-2 & Encore do not have an externally adjustable trigger. However, a knowledgeable gunsmith (or individual) can clean up the triggers on them (and maybe replace some springs) to yield an excellent trigger on either.

Good luck.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: TCTex.] #65505 03/01/2010 6:54 PM
Mikewin Offline
addict
addict
As an extreme amateur when it comes to T/C single shots - I've never fired one - I have to say that Encores can be made very nicely in most regards. I had the opportunity to get a physical feel for TCMan's Encores on a brief visit to New Orleans recently - thanks for the lunch Duane! - and they very much left me wanting one. Did not think that was possible since I consider myself a revolver man first and foremost. So should I ever go the single shot road I would most likely get an Encore, to get more yardage and more punch. But as I said, this is only an amateur opinion....

As a European, I prefer my latte in my NRA coffee mug
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: Mikewin] #65508 03/01/2010 7:01 PM
PsyopsE6 Offline
Hey Michigan, (born and raised in Muskegon) Really depends on whether or not you ever want to go big bore..if not stay with the Contender..however once you start shooting and buying barrels you are going to want to try one of "the big boys" and that means Encore..nothing is more fun than touching off the 300 or 40 class rounds, just makes the heart skip a beat..here's the answer - get both....ElDee

Last edited by PsyopsE6; 03/01/2010 7:02 PM.
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: wtroper] #65763 03/05/2010 12:17 PM
alaskgun Offline
stranger
stranger
I own all three. Original Contender, G2, and Encore. All are fine guns, however I prefer the G2. All are outfitted w/ Pachmayr grips. On the original the fit of the forend looks better around the hinge pin area, the G2 has a gap there that doesn't look quite right to me, I'm undecided on the originals "artwork" on the receiver sides vs. the "clean" look of the G2/Encore. Years ago quite a few people paid good money to have the sides of their Contender smoothed. That's it as far as looks go, now for performance...Of course the Encore has the edge on performance, but the Original/G2 will get the job done well on anything you will ever hunt. The G2/Encore are available in stainless, where the original never was, they had a silver finish available ( I believe it was called Armalloy ?). On the original the blued barrels/receivers would not interchange with the "silver" versions. While many blued originals were made and as you've already found out barrels are plentiful and will interchange with the G2, the same cannot be said for the silver ones. The G2/Encore does allow for interchanging between blued and stainless components within their respective lines. Triggers on all can be set up to for excellent performance. The original Contender is harder to break open, and the trigger guard "spur" doesn't have as much clearance for your fingers, this can be a problem with big hands, hard recoil, gloves,etc. The hammer on the original/G2 can istantly select between rimfire/centerfire, and this can be used as an additional safety device, the Encore requires tools and a little more time to select between rimfire/centerfire. The Encore Pro Hunter has a hammer with an adjustable offset to clear scopes, all other require you to purchase an attachment for this. The Encore has a larger frame which doesn't fit small hands as well, but as already stated, a set of custom grips does help a goog bit. The Encore can also be configured as a rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader. The Contenders only a rifle that will only work for lower pressure cartridges. It pretty much comes down to your preference, what feels best in your hands, what you intend to hunt, etc.

Contender
G2
Encore
Striker
Coompetitor
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: alaskgun] #65767 03/05/2010 1:10 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Just remember that aesthetics are important, but not as important as function.

Benjamin Franklin
Re: G2 or Encore, pros & cons [Re: TCTex.] #65833 03/06/2010 7:24 AM
240 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks fellas, all great points! Im off work for the next 2 weeks and plan to find an example of each gun, and go from there.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod