Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting #66098 03/09/2010 1:18 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The subject handgun is a 7.5 Inch barrel bright stainless steel Super Red Hawk in 44 Magnum. Grips are the common ones with Rubber Front and back with wood on the sides. Bullets will be 240 thru 310 grain.

The trigger pull is the first area needing addressed. I have heard that springs need changed plus other work. I looked on Midway for springs. They have the Wolff spring pak with 9, 10, and 12 pound reduced power hammer springs and 10 and 12 pound trigger return springs. What else needs addressed, and which springs are recommended?
NOTE: I have never been inside a Ruger before, just S&W's.

Grips: I keep reading about Tamer Grips being the ticket for a Super Red Hawk. What exactly are they, and where do you get them. This is never mentioned.

SIGHTS: This will be my woods deer hunting gun probably used mostly from a ladder stand. Most all shooting should be 35 to 75 yards. I was figuring a Fixed Power scope in either 2 or 4 power, or a Red Dot that will mount in the factory scope rings like an Ultra Dot. What would you use?

What else could stand some attention on the Super Red Hawk to have it set up for hunting?

Carry Options: On my Contenders I had them set up with a QD Stud in the Grip Screw end, and a QD Stud for the forend screw. I then used a sling to carry it upside down. This works very well. I built a leather shoulder holster for the Contender and did not like it.
I noticed in the Handgun Hunting Vidio sold on this sight that they were carrying the hunting handgun in a padded case. With shoulder straps that did not look like a bad plan either. A look at Midway did not come up with a case that had shoulder straps or even D rings on both end to put your own on. My TC case has a D on one end only. Good for hanging the case up in the shop, but that is about it.
Lets here some options for field carry.

See You At The Range
Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Bob Roach] #66132 03/10/2010 1:35 AM
rlb Offline
old hand
old hand
The Tamer grip is made by Hogue and I got mine from Natchez, but I'm sure you can get them elsewhere. I thin they are worth way more than what you pay for them.

Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: rlb] #66136 03/10/2010 3:05 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: rlb
The Tamer grip is made by Hogue and I got mine from Natchez, but I'm sure you can get them elsewhere. I thin they are worth way more than what you pay for them.

Ditto!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Whitworth] #66138 03/10/2010 3:32 AM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Bob,

Not sure what springs were used to lighten my trigger on my Redhawk, but it sure does feel better than from the factory! I have the Hogue grips on mine, with a 2X Leupold on top. With the ranges that you are talking about, you can't go wrong with either the 2X or 4X - take your pick.

You could certainly opt to sling your Redhawk much like the Contender or Encore - your smith would just need to add swivel studs for you...

If you decide to go with leather for carry, check out Pistol Packaging's Bandito line - great value and good product. I do have some Uncle Mike's cordura for foul weather carry, but much prefer my Bandito's for primary hunting carry.

Lastly, regarding the video, if I remember correctly, the Richters' sewed straps on the padded case to make it more field-friendly.

Best of luck with your projects!

Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Whitworth] #66139 03/10/2010 3:32 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I have Hogue Rubber grips on all my Smith & Wesson Revolvers. I had not heard about the Tamers. It looks like the GP100 and Super Redhawk take the same grip. Is that correct?

See You At The Range
Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Bob Roach] #66147 03/10/2010 6:09 AM
encore460 Offline
Used to have a Super Redhawk in 44 mag and for me the red dot was the best option especially at the distances you are talking about. No trying to find the scope. Could also shoot it both eyes open as there was no magnification. One of the best pistols i ever hunted with. Kick myself in the but for sellig it sometimes, but want other toys that i enjoy just as much. For me a red dot is the way to go for shots 100 yards or less.

Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Bob Roach] #66155 03/10/2010 11:54 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Bob R
I have Hogue Rubber grips on all my Smith & Wesson Revolvers. I had not heard about the Tamers. It looks like the GP100 and Super Redhawk take the same grip. Is that correct?

Yes it it. I have used the Hogue wrap arounds on my SRHs before, but they provide almost no padding even relative to the stock panel grips. The Taers fill your hand more and they also have a sorbethane pad in the back that cushions the web of your hand.

I have posted a couple of comparison photos so that you can see what we are talking about. The Tamer is on the left in the first two pictures. In the last photo you can see the sorbethane pad.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Whitworth] #66183 03/10/2010 6:32 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
On my 480 SRH I did the Wolf spring kit but only changed out the hammer spring (don't remember which weight), put on the Tamer grips, Weigand scope base, & 30mm Ultradot 4 sight. LOVE it!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Vance in AK.] #66203 03/11/2010 3:11 AM
geojanitor Offline
Congrats on the SRH Bob, I hope it serves you well. I put the Wolf kit in my SRH and used the 10# trigger return and 10# hammer spring, it was an easy install and I can send you pics if you need them. I installed Williams Fire Sights on my SRH and have a red dot mounted on the rings, but the dot sees little use. I actually like the factory grips and I am hunting with 310 FNGC and 300 XTPs under a stout load of 2400. Recoil isn't bad under hunting conditions and I practice with mild 240swc to keep in tune with the pistol. Grips are a real personal thing to me, hold a bunch of guns and go with what fits YOUR hand the best. As for the case you mentioned, contact Gregg Richter about it; I think he made that out of a padded pistol case.

Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: geojanitor] #66208 03/11/2010 4:42 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
geojanitor
Is your 310 FNGC from a Lee Mould?

Thought I had a used Leupold 2X found. Looks like it is not panning out. What are the opinions about a 2X Nikon? Nachez has referbished one listed in the catalog I got this morning at $119.

Still undecided between a low power scope and an Ultra Dot red dot sight.

The Hogue Tamer grip looks very good. That is the way to go. Is that what comes on a brand new Ruger?

See You At The Range
Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Bob Roach] #66219 03/11/2010 8:56 AM
ChiefG Offline
stranger
stranger
I have a 9.5" SRH and it's my favorite gun to shoot. I ended up using the Wolff 10# trigger return spring combined with a 12# hammer spring. This and polishing the action makes a crisp trigger pull to my taste. I'm new to reloading and now working on getting a decent hunting load. For target load, so far the best I can get is a 2.5 inch group at 50 yds, bench rest with sand bags. Not sure if this is good or bad with a Ruger revolver but hopefully it will get better once I put more rounds thru it and get used to the gun. I'm using a Leupold 2x and happy with it. I've never hunt with a handgun before, this will be my first. I'm a bowhunter and decided to try the SRH next time I go hunting in the woods/jungle here in Hawaii.

Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Bob Roach] #66221 03/11/2010 11:54 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Still undecided between a low power scope and an Ultra Dot red dot sight.

The Hogue Tamer grip looks very good. That is the way to go. Is that what comes on a brand new Ruger?

Bob, here is a photo of a friend's SRH (in .454) with an Ultradot 30 mounted with Ruger rings (as well as Hogue Tamer grips)-- this is the same setup I am using on my .475 Linebaugh SRH, but I don't have a good closeup photo. Thought you would like to see how it looks with the Ultradot.

And just so we're clear, I am not a fan of that muzzle brake (it's too damn loud!)!

Last edited by Whitworth; 03/11/2010 11:56 AM.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Whitworth] #66231 03/11/2010 5:06 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Welcome to the forum ChiefG!

Whitworth, is that a Magnaport brake & conversion?

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Vance in AK.] #66234 03/11/2010 6:06 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Vance in AK.
Welcome to the forum ChiefG!

Whitworth, is that a Magnaport brake & conversion?

Yes it is. It's nicely done and it shoots well. The brake tames recoil nicely, but the down side is the noise it generates -- there is no way I would hunt with it without hearing protection.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Whitworth] #66240 03/11/2010 9:05 PM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The Ultradot is a 30mm, that must mean 30mm rings are available for the Super Redhawk? Are they a Ruger Item, or available from other sources?

See You At The Range
Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Bob Roach] #66272 03/12/2010 4:28 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Are they a Ruger Item, or available from other sources?

Leupold makes them, even offset versions for long turrets. Anything that fits the M77 rifle fits the SRH.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=629549

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=861063

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: Bob Roach] #66316 03/13/2010 1:45 AM
geojanitor Offline
geojanitor
Is your 310 FNGC from a Lee Mould?

Bob, my 310 FNGC is dropped from a Lee mould and it is my favorite cast bullet.

Re: Setting up the Super Red Hawk for Hunting [Re: geojanitor] #66321 03/13/2010 3:43 AM
Bob Roach Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well what I have so far.

Hammer Spring: Wolfe 10 or 12 Pound.
Trigger Spring: Wolfe 10 Pound
A little polishing on side rubbing surfaces
Optical Sight: Ultra Dot 30mm (4 MOA Dot @ 100 Yards)
Grip: Hogue Tamer
Bullets: 300 - 330 FNGC Lead
Powders: H110 or AA#9
Primers: Magnum
Carry Method: Padded Case with Shoulder Strap

See You At The Range

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod