Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hunting Antelope #66225 03/11/2010 2:30 PM
trad-hunter Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I am planning a hunt in Wyoming for Antelope. I wonder if there are any tips you can give me as I have never hunted them before. I will be hunting with a Ruger SBH 7.5" 44mag. iron sighted. I will be doing a lot of shooting this summer to push my proficiency range out as far as I can. Just in case I have too hard of a time with the wheelgun I am going to bring my T/C contender super14 30-30win. with me. I would love to hear stories of your hunts!

T/C Contender Super 14 30-30win
In GOD We Trust!
Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: trad-hunter] #66228 03/11/2010 3:20 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: Ernie] #66232 03/11/2010 5:41 PM
trad-hunter Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for the link! Great story!

In GOD We Trust!
Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: trad-hunter] #66233 03/11/2010 6:01 PM
shortrange Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Video "Handgunning Mule Deer and Pronghorn Antelope."

http://www.hunterseyevideo.com/

One revolver kill on antelope, a bunch more with Single shots. Great tips on glassing and stalking and field shooting. A must have for any handgun hunter. IMO

Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: shortrange] #66252 03/11/2010 10:30 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Two tips:
1.) Join Handgun Hunters International if you aren't already a member.
2.) Then contact Gregg Richter who organizes the annual HHI Antelope hunt to see about getting the necessary information, and getting on the list.
You can't do better than this hunt.
Ken O'Neill

Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: trad-hunter] #66258 03/12/2010 1:56 AM
Smokewagon Offline
I have taken antelope in WY and SD with both 6.5JDJ and 6.8SPC in Conenders, and both work well. My self-imposed max range is 200 yards, and have always been able to get within that range. Larger calibers will likely stretch the range a bit, but it seems more sporting to use an old hunting term called "stalking" to get within a reasonable firing distance than "sniping" at them at extreme range. However, what is "reasonable" will be debated.

Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: Smokewagon] #66266 03/12/2010 2:37 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Thank you shortrange and Ken.

Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: Smokewagon] #66268 03/12/2010 3:04 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: Smokewagon
I have taken antelope in WY and SD with both 6.5JDJ and 6.8SPC in Contender's, and both work well. My self-imposed max range is 200 yards, and have always been able to get within that range. Larger calibers will likely stretch the range a bit, but it seems more sporting to use an old hunting term called "stalking" to get within a reasonable firing distance than "sniping" at them at extreme range. However, what is "reasonable" will be debated.

What part of Wyoming?
I enjoy up close and personal sometimes, using bow or revolver and then at other times I like to stretch it beyond most folks comforts levels. And of course, at all distance in between the two as well
;\)

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: Ernie] #66274 03/12/2010 6:13 AM
runngun Offline
Quote Ernie: What part of Wyoming?
Probably the part that has antelope. LOL MHO

Really good points by Ken and shortrange!

Ernie, it is neat that you actually did bow hunt, quote: "I enjoy up close and personal sometimes, using bow.." OK, so... did you ever get an antelope or deer or ? with a bow? If so, pics?

Sorry, just have to ask since you push the long range shooting/hunting part so obsessively.

JMHO

Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: Ernie] #66279 03/12/2010 1:05 PM
Smokewagon Offline
Unit 24 south of Gillette twice, and Unit 22 SE of Buffalo once.

Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: trad-hunter] #66280 03/12/2010 1:16 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I went antelope hunting in 2009 for the first time. It was a BLAST!! The thread below has some pics and chatter that I posted during the hunt.

The first thing I learned is that WY is WIDE OPEN and WINDY!! Spotting goats miles away is easy.......then getting there may take a while. You also need to know if they are on huntable land once you start heading their direction. Property boundaries are merely wire fences with no other marking...so you will need good maps (something I'm going to invest in!!).

This year I plan on hunting my with cousin that moved into NE WY about a year ago. Her husband is getting to know the area very well....a local connection is worth their weight in gold.

Become very proficient in shooting from you belly and butt. You likely be shooting at game from the prone or sitting position.

2009 Antelope Thread

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: Dan B.] #66284 03/12/2010 2:22 PM
trad-hunter Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Great info guys! I am looking forward to the hunt.

In GOD We Trust!
Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: trad-hunter] #66285 03/12/2010 2:28 PM
trad-hunter Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Dan looks like you had a heck of a hunt last year!

In GOD We Trust!
Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: runngun] #66289 03/12/2010 3:17 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: runngun
Quote Ernie: What part of Wyoming?
Probably the part that has antelope. LOL MHO

Really good points by Ken and shortrange!

Ernie, it is neat that you actually did bow hunt, quote: "I enjoy up close and personal sometimes, using bow.." OK, so... did you ever get an antelope or deer or ? with a bow? If so, pics?

Sorry, just have to ask since you push the long range shooting/hunting part so obsessively.

JMHO

runngun,
Sometimes you remind me of a "doubting Thomas."

2 years ago I used a FA 454 for both mule deer and antelope. Both one-shot kills and both were under 65 yards.
That same fall I used my old Pearson Flame (had it since the early 90's) compound bow for antelope too. I had always shot fingers in the past (Yes, killed a whitetail buck shooting instinctive (three fingers under) but updated and went to a release and sights.
Friends who taught me to shoot a bow were fierce competitors in 3-D matches, and had me learn instinctive first, so I would have a back up if something went down in the field. That is exactly what happened on that whitetail hunt, and I still got my buck.

At the same time, I went to Carbon fiber arrows. I practiced through the summer before with one week shooting daily while in a camp in SW Oklahoma practicing out to 50 yards.

I like to hunt the ways I want to hunt, so I decided I would spot-n-stalk with my bow for antelope.
This is more challenging, than stand or pit hunting where you set up by a water hole, but it is what I wanted to do.

I had my sights set on one specific buck in the Oriva Hills area west of town. Four times I was able to stalk on this buck from 30-35 yards, but did not have time to get a shot off. On a another time I got up on him at 45 yards and let one fly and hit him right on the shoulder pocket. Of course, it did not penetrate enough, but I could see exactly where I hit. Later that day I called Steve (sscoyote) and told him what happened.

For some time now, I use the shoulder area for part of the kill zone with revolvers and SP's, and wrongly continued to think that way on that shot. If I had aimed correctly, He would have been down as elevation was spot on. I used my Swaro LRF to determine range.
I did not kill that buck with my bow, but on the opening day of gun season, he fell to my MOA at around 250 yards. It wasn't monster buck, but it is the one I wanted because of his unique horns.
I had fun hunting with a bow, but it is not what I enjoy most. I had other people ask me why I didn't stand hunt, which greatly improves your odds of getting a easier shot and more shot opportunities. I hunted the way I wanted to hunt.
I didn't use my bow last year at all for game or a revolver for that matter (but I did use a rifle for one antelope buck though).

Part of why I don't use a bow or revolver as much simply comes down to a matter of time and tags.
Second is, I enjoy my single-shot SP's more.

I also handle iron-sighted semi-auto's reasonably well when engaging multiple targets, under physical duress and time in a competition (Just ask my partner or the RO's at I.T.R.C.).

You might ask why don't I do more of that type of shooting?
Answer remains the same, matter of time, and I enjoy my single-shot SP's more.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: Ernie] #66292 03/12/2010 4:25 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
And, by whatever means, it's still hunting! Thanks for the reminder, Ernie.

Good luck on your hunt, trad-hunter, and enjoy the whole experience.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: Russell] #66297 03/12/2010 5:23 PM
trad-hunter Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: 1948ER
And, by whatever means, it's still hunting! Thanks for the reminder, Ernie.

Good luck on your hunt, trad-hunter, and enjoy the whole experience.
Thank you sir!I definitely will!

In GOD We Trust!
Re: Hunting Antelope [Re: trad-hunter] #66320 03/13/2010 3:40 AM
runngun Offline
Quote by Ernie: *runngun,
Sometimes you remind me of a "doubting Thomas."*

No harm meant Ernie. And no offense taken here, either.

Again; I think its neat that you bowhunt. And do the long range stuff too.

;\)

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 138 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod