Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T/C Contender Hinge Pin Question. #66947 03/22/2010 11:48 PM
teb_atoz Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I got an email from a guy the other day regarding his statement about the hinge pin in a T/C Contender:

"If your hinge pin slides out without a punch, an oversized hinge pin is in order. T/C mass produces so the tolerences are kept within a range allowing assemblers to complete a firearm by grabbing parts from a bin. Despite the convenience, a hinge pin that simply slides out is not doing much for your accuracy."

This may make sense but I do not know. So what is your opinin or is this just an old myth???? If it was true I would imagine every Contender would need to have a custom hinge pin made.

Thsnk

Re: T/C Contender Hinge Pin Question. [Re: teb_atoz] #66955 03/23/2010 1:19 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I can remove my Contender and Encore hindge pins with my fingers and I don't have any accuracy problems.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: T/C Contender Hinge Pin Question. [Re: teb_atoz] #66960 03/23/2010 1:33 AM
geojanitor Offline
I'm believe Mike Bellm is correct and I like an interference fit hinge pin. Mike explains his reasoning at http://bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=445 . I machined a tighter hinge pin and liked the results, your mileage may vary. Best of luck with the Tender!

Re: T/C Contender Hinge Pin Question. [Re: geojanitor] #66970 03/23/2010 3:57 AM
dasbear Offline
I have O.S. hinge pins in both my Encore and contenders and I do notice a difference though neither got really sloppy like some I've seen Just a little rattly.

Re: T/C Contender Hinge Pin Question. [Re: teb_atoz] #66972 03/23/2010 4:05 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Mine slide in and out with ease and they shoot fine. It can't hurt, just don't know how much it may help, if at all. If it makes you feel better, by all means.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: T/C Contender Hinge Pin Question. [Re: s4s4u] #66973 03/23/2010 5:07 AM
Chris Abbott Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
It only matters I believe if you have the goal to shoot through the same hole. My pin is loose compared to others I have played with. But with it I can use what is a ok round and shoot 1/2 inch five shot groups at 100 yards. This is done with my 30/30, now I cant do that every single round but I have never gone over 1 and 1/8 inches for a five shot group ( with handloads only ) and feel that is great. I have been told that taking a barrel and shooting it on one frame then a different frame with the same loads can show signs of difference in grouping. This is due to machining tolerences. I have not proven that theory but I could see where it goes with this same question. Is it true? Maybe in some instances and maybe not in others. I think if your gun shoots bad it is something to think about but when I have thought about stuff like this on this forum I have had as many people tell me that it may be my shooting skill as have told me it may be the gun.

Guns dont kill people, people kill people.
Re: T/C Contender Hinge Pin Question. [Re: teb_atoz] #66978 03/23/2010 12:58 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: teb_atoz
I got an email from a guy the other day regarding his statement about the hinge pin in a T/C Contender:

"If your hinge pin slides out without a punch, an oversized hinge pin is in order. T/C mass produces so the tolerences are kept within a range allowing assemblers to complete a firearm by grabbing parts from a bin. Despite the convenience, a hinge pin that simply slides out is not doing much for your accuracy."

This may make sense but I do not know. So what is your opinin or is this just an old myth???? If it was true I would imagine every Contender would need to have a custom hinge pin made.

Thsnk

Logically thinking, it makes sense, but only as a matter of degree. I mean, how loose is loose, ya' know? "Loose pin = bad accuracy" makes a good marketing pitch, but it's awfully subjective, and given the testimonials here, might best be taken with a grain of salt.

I also wonder out loud if rimmed vs. rimless cases might also make a difference. Seems a rimmed case would naturally stay more lined up in the chamber than a rimless as long as the head space is reasonable. Throw in a person's chosen method of resizing reloaded cartridges and there are just so many variables to consider to make a blanket statement.

As others, if my Encore starts throwing lead in all the wrong places, I might consider it if I could feel some play by hand. Hey, a $10 "fix" is worth the try sometimes.

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: T/C Contender Hinge Pin Question. [Re: guitarpicva] #66984 03/23/2010 2:39 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
My contender I can move the pin in and out with my fingers,my encore I can't. I have a .22 match barrel for the contender that if I do my part often will shoot through the same hole at 25 yards,thats with my son and I both shooting,the same with my .22 hornet barrel.My 7mm TCU shoots 1/2 groups at 50 yards(probably could do much better if I didn't have old man shakes-L.O.L.)I would consider the oversized hinge pin only if I where having problems with accuracy,if your gun/barrels are shooting good I wouldn't worry about the hinge pin.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: T/C Contender Hinge Pin Question. [Re: johnwilliams] #67152 03/26/2010 2:19 AM
muddydog Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Mine moves by hand and I get under an inch group with factory
30-30 bullets. I dont think I can shoot much better. No matter what else I do to it, maybe Ill try a bigger scope on it.

Last edited by muddydog; 03/26/2010 2:20 AM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 101 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod