Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Holster retention for hunting #67055 03/24/2010 3:27 PM
guitarpicva Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Do you prefer having a retention strap/flap on your hunting holsters? I am looking at a cross-draw with an open top.

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: guitarpicva] #67056 03/24/2010 4:01 PM
7STDUBBERU Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I kicked around the idea of a flap holster for my back-up pistol (4" 500) when I went on a bear hunt in Alaska. After deciding that a flap or strap would slow my draw time considerably if the pistol was indeed needed for what it was being carried for, I went with a high quality open top leather rig. After trudging thru all of the thick stuff Ak threw at me I never regreted buying the open top.

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: 7STDUBBERU] #67059 03/24/2010 5:28 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
It seems that every time I fail to fasten the strap, my revolver falls out of my holster. This has happened to me twice now from tree stands. I think there should always be a retension strap as you could easily lose your revolver while climbing, running, falling, whatever.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Whitworth] #67061 03/24/2010 5:32 PM
guitarpicva Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
It seems that every time I fail to fasten the strap, my revolver falls out of my holster. This has happened to me twice now from tree stands. I think there should always be a retension strap as you could easily lose your revolver while climbing, running, falling, whatever.

I am primarily a stand hunter as well, and I know how annoying it is to quietly move to your stand, climb up and then drop something down the ground. Certainly don't want that to be my revolver!

I have a No. 4 Uncle Mikes hip holster that fits pretty well, but I was thinking I might like the cross-draw better, for sitting comfort. Tree stands can be rather tight.

AC4IY
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: guitarpicva] #67062 03/24/2010 5:40 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I use an Uncle Mike's shoulder rig for my .475 SRH. I remove it from the holster once I get settled in the stand, but if you have to clinb down, you should strap it back in as this is precisely when it will fall!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Whitworth] #67063 03/24/2010 6:00 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I personally would not carry a handgun in a holster while hunting without at least a retention strap. Even when we carry our Contenders and Encores in my modified design of a carrying case, I put on velcro straps to retain the firearm even if the case is not zipped back up.

When I hunted in Alaska in 1985 I carried my Super Blackhawk in a leather Hunter holster with a simple retention strap and did not feel compromised for a quick draw if needed.

A friend on the same trip carried a nice blued S&W Model 19, in some type of holster (not sure). But I do know that beautiful Model 19 still lays up there somewhere in that muskeg, south of
King Salmon, as it fell out of the holster during the hunt.

Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Gregg Richter] #67064 03/24/2010 6:06 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I`ve dropped a revolver once from an unstrapped holster while crawling on hands and knees and since then try to keep them strapped in with either flap or strap....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: jamesfromjersey] #67067 03/24/2010 6:28 PM
guitarpicva Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
It's just odd. Triple-K makes retention strap holsters for ShopRuger.com and they don't have a model for Bisley's.

Guess I'll keep using the Uncle Mike's for now.

AC4IY
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: guitarpicva] #67070 03/24/2010 7:50 PM
7STDUBBERU Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
If you buy junk holsters pistols will fall out. Why put an expensive pistol in a $20 Uncle Mikes holster.

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: 7STDUBBERU] #67071 03/24/2010 8:00 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
They're only junk if they don't serve you well. If you lean forward with a heavy revolver in nearly any shoulder holster, they are likely to fall out. Don't blame the holster. It was designed to be used with a retaining strap and if you fail to use it, it's your own fault. I take full responsibility for the two times it happened to me -- can't blame the holster. Sure, there are better and more expensive rigs (by far), but when I am hunting in really wet and humid locations, that cheap Uncle Mikes holster is pretty much all I need.

Last edited by Whitworth; 03/24/2010 8:17 PM.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Whitworth] #67073 03/24/2010 8:59 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A holster without a retention device is an accident or lost gun waiting to happen. I have snap fastening retention straps on several holsters, but very much prefer carefully adjusted hammer thongs on all the rest. They're positive, quiet and quick to engage or release.
Most of my holsters have been custom made by local craftsmen, so it's been easy to get exactly what I want.

Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: 500WE] #67076 03/24/2010 10:03 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: 500WE
A holster without a retention device is an accident or lost gun waiting to happen. I have snap fastening retention straps on several holsters, but very much prefer carefully adjusted hammer thongs on all the rest. They're positive, quiet and quick to engage or release.
Most of my holsters have been custom made by local craftsmen, so it's been easy to get exactly what I want.

Precisely!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Whitworth] #67078 03/25/2010 12:31 AM
Renster of N.H. Offline
I'm with Gregg and Whit,

Never owned a holster, for on or off duty, tactical, or hunting purposes that did not have a retention strap.
I too carry my Blackhawk in a comparatively inexpensive leather Hunter model 2400 series cross draw. It is slightly modified by myself to sling across my chest and torso by a very comfortable padded strap that once was attached to a carry-on luggage bag. I went this route about 2 revolvers ago after decades of using a plethora of holsters for hunting, from hip, to shoulder, to cross draw, nylon, and leather, and being unable to find anything of someone else's design that would satisfy me completely. The simplicity, funtionality and practicality of my simple rig is it's beauty. Oh, and it has the stock leather and snap retention strap. I dropped a revolver out of this very holster once - when I forgot to snap the strap after drawing it for an approaching buck that ended up turning off in an undesireable direction. For some reason I just plain forgot to snap the strap after reholstering and followed that buck a good 1/2 mile before stepping and bending just right and, of course I was on rocky granite terrain!!!
\:\(

I have never forgotten since!
Retention strap? - - - YES!!!
\:\)

Renster

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Renster of N.H.] #67079 03/25/2010 12:52 AM
whywait Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I always strap or flap mine. I usually use a flap type holster because when crawling it also keeps dirt and leaves out of the action and off the scope.

Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: whywait] #67081 03/25/2010 1:25 AM
7STDUBBERU Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am in full agreement with all of the previous posters who buy economical holsters or modify holsters from original design, yes retention strap always. My point is if you buy a top quality holser such as a Mernickle Field Carry or Simply Rugged SourDough hunting holster and carry it as the manufacturer designed it on a quality leather belt the need for a retention strap, to me, is not needed. No way my 6" 41 mag would ever fall out of that Simply Rugged holster even if I was hanging upside down. It is designed for Croos Draw or Strong Side carry and it flat out works. Top quality wet formed model specific holsters are my only concern. Good discussion.

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: 7STDUBBERU] #67087 03/25/2010 2:46 AM
bothbarrels Offline
But why chance it? What if you fell down a slope getting banged around all the way down, or got caught up in some heavy heavy brush and had to push onward (like maybe getting chased or ?)?

Maybe gravity won't make it come out, but common sense is just that: common sense.

Not only that but I for one can't afford (and don't want to) buy a custom fitted holster for each of my handguns! Some of my holsters do double deuty, and with the retention strap or flap, there is NO GUESSWORK. The gun that stays with me tied down is better than the quickdraw one that I lost.

Good discussion, no harm meant to anybody.

Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: bothbarrels] #67094 03/25/2010 11:01 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: bothbarrels
But why chance it? What if you fell down a slope getting banged around all the way down, or got caught up in some heavy heavy brush and had to push onward (like maybe getting chased or ?)?

Maybe gravity won't make it come out, but common sense is just that: common sense.

Not only that but I for one can't afford (and don't want to) buy a custom fitted holster for each of my handguns! Some of my holsters do double deuty, and with the retention strap or flap, there is NO GUESSWORK. The gun that stays with me tied down is better than the quickdraw one that I lost.

Good discussion, no harm meant to anybody.

I have to agree with this. Would hate to chance it......

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Renster of N.H.] #67095 03/25/2010 11:56 AM
guitarpicva Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: Renster of N.H.
I'm with Gregg and Whit,
I too carry my Blackhawk in a comparatively inexpensive leather Hunter model 2400 series cross draw. It is slightly modified by myself to sling across my chest and torso by a very comfortable padded strap that once was attached to a carry-on luggage bag....

Perfect! I found this holster on Sportsman's Guide for $27. This is really what I am looking for for a few of reasons.

1. It's leather, so it's quieter. The cordura holsters are tough and padded, but they are noisy drawing and noisy if you are in the brush. "SWIIIIIIIIISH"

2. Retention strap, which is what I was really looking for to begin with.

3. Crossdraw seems better for a more natural sitting/kneeling carry. Am I right?

4. I like the idea of adding a quick-disconnect neoprene and cordura neck/shoulder strap setup I use on a very heavy Nikon F5 camera. The camera and revolver weigh about the same, especially when a 180 mm lens is attached to the camera.

Last edited by guitarpicva; 03/25/2010 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling

AC4IY
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: guitarpicva] #67098 03/25/2010 1:07 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I am with 500WE I like the hammer thong(never knew what to call it).I bought a inexpensive Hunter Co. leather holster and they work great.I have no steep slopes,but I got swamps and bays,and that little holster has held up well.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: cottonstalk] #67100 03/25/2010 2:00 PM
guitarpicva Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: cottonstalk
I am with 500WE I like the hammer thong(never knew what to call it).I bought a inexpensive Hunter Co. leather holster and they work great.I have no steep slopes,but I got swamps and bays,and that little holster has held up well.

Mine's on the way as of about an hour ago!

AC4IY
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: guitarpicva] #67116 03/25/2010 6:51 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have one holster that does not have a retention strap. It's a bandito style holster. And most of the time it's not an issue as I carry the holster under my hunting cloths. The jacket keeps it tight to me and the gun can't get loose. Well the one time it's kind of warm out and I'm standing in my gravel driveway talking to my BIL with the coat unzipprd. I reach down to scratch my itchy shin and ....FLOP... the 480 goes scope down in the gravel.

That's another good reason I also carry ALL my guns with an empty chamber under the hammer!!!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Tigger] #67120 03/25/2010 7:59 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Tigger

That's another good reason I also carry ALL my guns with an empty chamber under the hammer!!!

You only have to worry about that if you have a Freedom.....LOL!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Whitworth] #67127 03/25/2010 11:18 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
Tigg,

You flopper-you! That'll teach ya!

Guitar,

You got it!
If'n I knew how to post a pic of my rig (I have never posted a pic anywhere on the net and would likely recruit my teenage daughter to do it for me anyway, should I be of a mind to)but to attempt to "virtually" visualize it for you, the luggage strap already had spring loaded fasteners on it - you know the type - ones that most would attach a key ring to a belt loop with - and I simply drilled appropriate sized holes in the belt strap part of the Hunter 2400 cross draw to accomodate the studs on the spring loaded fasteners, and viola! Instant shoulder holster! The luggage strap came with a 12" shoulder pad that slides along the strap, and the strap itself is also adjustable for length. So, I of course always can adjust it perfectly to hang tight to my torso regardless of the outer clothing that I choose to wear. I'm a still hunter and am usually on the move, so I may be wearing all types of clothing depending on weather. I think if I were to put a monetary value on it, I suppose I could honestly say that I've got less than $50 invested in this home-made holster rig that I have been using for, oh - I don't know, maybe 10 years? Plus, I still use the carry on luggage bag to this day - less the shoulder strap!
Incidentally, I once temporarily lost my mind and bought a custom high carry hip paddle rig for a Colt Officer's model .45 and payed ALOT of money for it. I don't even remember what I did with it, but I remember that I used it maybe a 1/2 dozen times before I went back to my old Uncle Mike's Mirage pancake. The uncle Mike's is still in my safe, the custom paddle is long gone somewhere!
Nothing against those fellas who have indeed found the right custom rig, but I truly have tried all kinds in the past 25 years or so, and this simple hybrid rig that I use fits my needs perfectly!
Why mess with success?!

Good thread Guitar!

Renster

"It's OK to be a sheep, as long as you appreciate the sheepdogs that make it possible"
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Renster of N.H.] #67142 03/26/2010 1:06 AM
DAHLTAILS Offline
I used to carry with the strap removed when still hunting,until this last year when I dropped my RH in the snow,which made seeing thought the scope inpossible. This ruinned my morning of hunting so I always use the strap now unless it is snowing or raining then I use the flap to keep the water off the scope. Like many of you I just use the cheep uncle mikes holster and it seems to work fine for me.

44 MAG RUGER REDHAWK
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: DAHLTAILS] #67147 03/26/2010 1:46 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
OK Just a little fun for those of you that have kids!

The best gun retention device is a silly band---

The ones tha look like a porcupine work best-- the next best is the car darker colors work better.

If youdo not understand then please move to the next post.

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Whitworth] #67174 03/26/2010 1:02 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
 Originally Posted By: Tigger

You only have to worry about that if you have a Freedom.....LOL!

I know call me crazy.
I have always carried my revolvers with the hammer on an empty chamber, even the guns with transfer bars. I fully belive in the laws of Murphy. Besides, I have a few revolvers that don't have a transfer bar and it's a good habbit to to get into.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Tigger] #67278 03/27/2010 10:21 PM
DAHLTAILS Offline
That is also a good point about having the hammer on an empty chamber. I also do the same,because for me if it can go wrong it will. Good call Tigger!

44 MAG RUGER REDHAWK
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Tigger] #67280 03/27/2010 10:48 PM
Cruiser Offline
stranger
stranger
My new fully loaded pancake holster with the chesty puller made by Rob Leahy at http://www.simplyrugged.com/ came in yesterday & this thing is made extremely well. Choosing the holster was easy but with or with out the retention strap was the hard part. I chose without. After reading this I was worried I made the wrong decision. But as soon as I put my RR in this holster & it almost snapped into place. I know there is no way that my handgun was coming out unless I want it to. I have to turn it upside down & shake the snot out of it to even get the gun to move. I am very happy with this holster & my decision.

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything,
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Cruiser] #67294 03/28/2010 2:20 AM
BINGO Offline
addict
addict
I have one holster w/out a strap. It's a Milt Sparks 200AW. Kind of a field/Concealment holster for a Security Six. It's been great so far. As for the rest & I've had plenty. The problem w/the cheap ones is they need to fit the model your carrying. If it doesn't fit right it is junk. I too have dropped one out of a bandolier holster. My fault for trusting it to a holster that didn't fit right. The strap was fastened & it came out underneath it. I've stuck w/Elpaso Saddlery since & been very satisfied. A 1930 Austin on a 2-1/2" gun belt is a nice rig. IMH opinion a field holster needs a retention strap.

Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: BINGO] #67643 04/04/2010 4:25 PM
guitarpicva Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I got the Hunter crossdraw holster the other day. Simple, rugged, nice fit for the Bisley. No complaints at all. The strap is even easily adjustable with velcro.

AC4IY
Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: guitarpicva] #67768 04/06/2010 11:32 PM
Renster of N.H. Offline
 Originally Posted By: guitarpicva
I got the Hunter crossdraw holster the other day. Simple, rugged, nice fit for the Bisley. No complaints at all. The strap is even easily adjustable with velcro.

Excellent Guitar!!! I think that you will find that simple inexpensive holster servicable at the very least, especially when it's good and broke in. I broke mine years ago by working a good leather conditioning oil into it that I have long since used up. But, I do re-rub it with Sno-Seal before each fall as a touch up. I don't use much, and wipe the holster real good with paper towels after applying. I use Sno-Seal as it has bees wax and does not cause mold or mildew in the leather. Hey - just maybe your's will become your favorite as mine long since has for me.
Are you still going to try the cordora/neoprene camera strap for it? That's a great idea. I find that the big, wide shoulder pad on my converted "luggage strap" is key to all day comfort. I believe if this luggage strap had just a cheapo thin pad, I would have sought another for sure, but it just so happened that this one was perfect. And you're right, that adjustable thumb strap may come in handy should you decide to put another similar sized wheelgun in that holster.
As with any good leather, don't let 'er dry out and it should last you a very long time. Mine has 10 years and countless miles of New Hampshire weather on it and still looks practically new.

Renster

Re: Holster retention for hunting [Re: Renster of N.H.] #67769 04/07/2010 12:14 AM
Smokewagon Offline
Competition or street carry is one thing, but it is iresponsible to be carrying a handgun in the field without any retention/strap for your holster. If your draw in a hunting situation is not fast enough due to the "strap", you probably have more serious problems to deal with. Putting an expensive gun in a $20 holster is like putting a Tasco scope on a Dakota rifle.

If you climb trees or steep terrain, make sure you find out if your holster retains the gun (or not)before you head out.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod