Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long post, #68046 04/14/2010 6:34 AM
Snyd Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I posted a couple months ago about this holster i was thinking of ordering.
I scoured the internet and had a hard time finding many pics that satisfied me. So, I figured I'd take a bunch of pics and post this long thread for the benefit of any others who are considering this holster. I'll say this before I get started. It's one sweet setup. I can't wait to get out in the field with it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The gun is a Ruger SBH Bisley Hunter in 45 Colt. The scope is a Weaver Classic 2x28 sitting in factory ruger rings. Holster is the Wyoming Combination Holster made by Von Ringler http://www.ringlercustomleather.com/

First impressions is…. wow, how can a guy make a custom holster for a scoped handgun without having the gun and scope?! I emailed Von some pics and measurements and a tracing of the gun with the scope on it. What I got in the mail today was a custom fit holster. Amazing.

The first pic is of the holster out of the box. It looks like the gun has been in it for a while. Second pic is the first time the gun has been in it. Perfect and I mean PERFECT fit. Notice how the scope clears the top of the holster. This thing draws nice a smooth. Doesn't' get hung up on anything.

Here's the backside. I'll mess around with it and when I'm satisfied with the main belt length I'll cut off the excess. You can also see the belt strap. It has a snap on the front side. The length of the strap that secures the revolver is also adjustable. There is a slit in the strap and it's held in by the screw. Hard to see in this pic.. Nice design.

Now for trying it on. It is very secure and comes up nice a snug. It looks larger in the pic because of the way the camera exaggerates things. Kinda like sitting way behind the bear in the pic. Heres one with no pac, my arm is held back, with my arm by my side the scope is back almost under my armpit. It feels very comfortable.

Heres one with my day hunting pack on. Kelty Grizzly. The holster works great with it.

Here's one sitting. Very comfortable, stays nice and close, doesn't ride up or auger down into my hip.

Some guys (including myself) wondered how well it would stay snug when crawling around. Here's one on my hands and knees. It didn't hardly budge. Combination of the wrap around effect and the belt strap I'm sure.

Quick and easy to slip off or unsnap and put on a coat and throw it back on. Here are a few with my insulated hunting coat on and one that shows how quick the revolver clears leather. The design works well. I don't have to knock myself in the chin with the hammer to clear the holster.

Squatting down the holster does not bind up, just kind of goes with the flow and it's easy to draw from that position as well

Snap it up tighter and carry it cross draw around the waist. Might come in handy. No prob jumping around or bending over. It stays put.

Here it is with my pack on and carrying it around the waist crossdraw. I put one leg up on a stool so you can see that it does not interfere with hiking or climbing. Again, it looks huge in the pics but it really isn't. It's more of the optical illusion effect.

Last edited by Snyd; 11/09/2010 5:20 PM.
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long post, [Re: Snyd] #68049 04/14/2010 11:49 AM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
Excellent review! Very thorough. You should write it up for the web site. I'm sure Von would appreciate the online kudos.

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long post, [Re: guitarpicva] #68051 04/14/2010 12:52 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
NICE Rig! Very good report. I can see one on my side now...

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long post, [Re: KRal] #68056 04/14/2010 3:10 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
EXCELLENT!!!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long post, [Re: Tigger] #68061 04/14/2010 3:36 PM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Thats a nice rig!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long post, [Re: pab1] #68065 04/14/2010 4:18 PM
aimingpoint Offline
Very Nice Rig you have there, best of luck with it!!

For the People and By the people
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: guitarpicva] #68068 04/14/2010 8:52 PM
Snyd Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: guitarpicva
Excellent review! Very thorough. You should write it up for the web site. I'm sure Von would appreciate the online kudos.

I'll probably do that after I use it in the field next couple months for bear hunting. Hopefully with a bear in the pics!

Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: Snyd] #68072 04/14/2010 10:02 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Looks nice Snyd!!!
You are ready for the bears!
You back in state?
We got about 6" of snow here last night/so far today :-(

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: Vance in AK.] #68081 04/14/2010 11:59 PM
Snyd Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hey Vance. Actually we're headed to Montana on friday. Back the 24th. I went to the Bear Bait clinic here in Fairbanks last week which was very cool. I've got a plan for the bears when I get back so we'll see how it goes!

Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: Snyd] #68092 04/15/2010 2:37 AM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
excellent review, thanks I might be there with Kral in seeing one on myself.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: cottonstalk] #68286 04/19/2010 2:27 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
WOW what a nice right up!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the report!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: cottonstalk] #72826 07/29/2010 3:07 PM
Raf Offline
journeyman
journeyman
First of let me say how much I like that shoulder rig from Von. I will look into getting one. I like the way it hugs up close to the body.

For now I use an Uncle Mike's:

This rig is very rugged and useful.

Just Another Voice in the Crowd!
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: cottonstalk] #73125 08/07/2010 8:19 AM
elmer Offline
stranger
stranger
Thanx for the review been huntin for a practical and functional holster

Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: cottonstalk] #73177 08/08/2010 1:24 PM
Al in OK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
That's really nice. I just got my bisley hunter, and it needs a nice place to ride also! Looks like a very good option.

Gun Control - A theory; A belief that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them they cannot own a gun.
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: Al in OK] #73185 08/08/2010 3:07 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Great write up and great looking/ functioning holster.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: cfish2] #73275 08/11/2010 3:05 AM
Sal vasquez Offline
stranger
stranger
Great write up, nice design

Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: Sal vasquez] #73279 08/11/2010 1:33 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Snyd,

My bank account wishes this post had stayed buried - Re-read the post...ordered one yesterday from Von for one of my unscoped rigs.

Can't wait to get it!

Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: SChunter] #83528 02/22/2011 4:24 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I know this thread is old but, was wondering how you guys liked your holsters after hunting with them for a season or two. I am considering buying one myself to do my mod 83 some justice lol I hate the velcro on the nylon holster i have now, and it slides out too easily if i do not have the strap hooked.

anyway, if ya find this, let me know what ya think... thanks

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: BBwheelgunner] #83534 02/22/2011 7:33 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
BB,

I bought mine to carry my unscoped 7.5" M83 in 454 - Von does incredible work, and I like the ability to carry the pistol bandolier style or on the hip, depending on how I'm hunting, what else I'm carrying (scoped Single-shot, scoped revolver) etc...it wears close to the body when worn bandolier style, and although your scoped rig (guessing from the recent Bragging Board) would be heavier than mine, I think the construction and design would keep yours tight to the body as well.

Great fit, attention to detail, and worth the price in my opinion.

Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: SChunter] #83536 02/22/2011 8:47 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
Funny this post should resurface now.
Today I received my Wyoming Combo Holster from Von for my Scoped Bisley Hunter.

The fit and finish of this holster is really top notch. Even out of the box, this holster felt good to wear. I don't see any problems even carrying the boat anchor that is my SBH Hunter+ Scope.

When I ordered the holster about 4 weeks ago, I mentioned to Von that I had a hunt planned at the end of this week. As promised, the holster arrived today even though they had to express mail it to ensure I had it in time. To my surprise there was a hand written note from Von tucked inside stating that he didn't like how the holster fit the gun after he got done with it and he was in the process of making a new one which I would have after I got back from my hunt.

He sent me a perfectly usable and beautiful holster to get me through my planned hunt but was replacing it at his expense because he did not like the fit.

Ringler is a first class operation and customer service like this has earned a customer for life. I would not hesitate to recommend this holster or Ringler.

Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: 98Redline] #83538 02/22/2011 10:14 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
SChunter, 98Redline,

thanks for the prompt reply! i appreciate it! It helps a lot getting "real world" recommendations on things like this (especially for guys like myself who annalize everything before buying!). thinking of ways to productively spend a little bit of that tax return money! this happens to be one of them, along with a good pair of binos

thanks again for your opinions

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: BBwheelgunner] #83561 02/23/2011 7:40 AM
Snyd Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I packed my BisHunter/WyoCombo around last spring bear hunting and fall moose hunting. Hiking, sitting, atving, etc. with and without a pack. I like it. I'm glad I bought it, Von does excellent work. Now, I just need to get some blood on it! Next hunt will be for spring blackies and/or griz.

Re: Wyoming Combo Holster 1st impression - long p [Re: Snyd] #83575 02/23/2011 7:27 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Snyd,

thanks again for your update. it looks like a very sturdy and versatile holster.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod