Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I was wrong! #68378 04/21/2010 5:39 PM
cottonstalk Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Imagine that!But you can bet it weren't the first and it won't be the last.But I was wrong on my opinion of the bisley grip frame.Here's how all this came about.In May last year I attended a JL seminar and shot his big guns as well as hitmans with the only problem being the trigger getting my finger.I came home and went to work on my grips hoping to make them as comfortable as theirs was to shoot.I didn't succeed and got more problems,besides my trigger finger getting bit,my knuckle and palm of my hand was recieving abuse.What went wrong?I asked myself this alot but continued to shoot thinking it was me,more abuse.I shot some of JLs guns again in October,just the trigger finger issue,no knuckle or palm problems.I came home looked over my bisley and continued to shoot with the abuse.My newly acquired colt didn't hurt me,so it must be the bisley,but why did so many like it?I convinced myself it was the frame and converted my rugers to blackhawk or hunter gripframes.Well I happened upon a post on another site about grips and proper fitting,and pictures of where alot of people seem to need work done on grips to get a better feel.I had done it way wrong.So I went and picked up a set of polymer grips and shaped them correctly and it made a world of difference,I also left the blackhawk trigger and hammer together and the results are drastically different,no trigger pinch,no knuckle busting and no palm slap(best way to describe it).The bisley is comfortable and again a pleasure to shoot.

I tell you this and share picture of my reworked 45colt that is loads of fun.Front sight has been reshaped and thinned(thanks sixshot for the advice),cylinder work by Rod,rear sight opened,trigger job,ss pins,grips ivory polymer and reshaped correctly,all done by myself.

Before

After

Last edited by cottonstalk; 04/21/2010 5:52 PM.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: I was wrong! [Re: cottonstalk] #68380 04/21/2010 6:14 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Congratulations! Nice work! I like the Bisley grip frame a lot better. I don't think there would be one iota of control possible shooting my .50 Alaskan if it weren't for the Bisley grip frame (not that there is ever any real control).

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: I was wrong! [Re: Whitworth] #68381 04/21/2010 7:16 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
Tell me more! Tell me more!

I experienced all of your symptoms also, and chalked it up to first time out and improper grip.

I can make my own grips for the Bisley (and I am doing so now), so I want ALL of your information in my head please!

Mitch

Last edited by guitarpicva; 04/22/2010 2:48 PM. Reason: removed stupid question

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: I was wrong! [Re: guitarpicva] #68398 04/22/2010 2:54 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I like the Hogue grips as they are thicker up top where you take the brunt of the recoil.

That said, a firmer grip will solve a lot of knuckle busting issues with the Bisley.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: I was wrong! [Re: cottonstalk] #68402 04/22/2010 12:04 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

Good job!!

Re: I was wrong! [Re: jwp475] #68407 04/22/2010 4:06 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
Got to looking around the Rugerforum.com site and found very little on this subject, other than suggested hold methods (lower on the grip).

I did notice that the Eagle Grips Gunfighters for the Bisley have a pronounced wider section at the top of the grip, which may be due to thinning of the sides of the grip panels. Seems like an odd "solution", but ya' never know I guess! I suppose it would naturally direct your hand lower on the grips.

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 41 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod