Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Super Blackhawk Hunter Scope placement #69105 05/06/2010 6:06 PM
zac0419 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a SBH Hunter in 45LC. I know a couple of other guys here also have the "Hunters". Until now I've only shot it with iron sights. Have any of you experienced any balance issues with the scope being that far forward? I've toyed with the idea of reddot's and different glass and come the the conclusion that a Leupold 2x is the one for me. I've seen another guys Hunter that also had the Weigland Base. It allowed the scope to be set further back over the gun. What are your thoughts on this. Have any of you tried this setup?
Thanks.

Zac
CO
Re: Super Blackhawk Hunter Scope placement [Re: zac0419] #69112 05/06/2010 8:12 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
How far forward? Is the eyepiece forward of the hammer? Picture?

Re: Super Blackhawk Hunter Scope placement [Re: zac0419] #69117 05/06/2010 9:29 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I have a Bisley Hunter with a Simmons 4x on the barrel and it does add some muzzle weight, which is not all a bad thing as it also helps steady the shot and reduce flip. The biggest issue is finding a holster for it. I carry the scope in another 'holster' while the gun rides my hip. I don't use the scope that often, but it comes in handy now and again. I've never had a problem with it returning to zero with the Ruger rings.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Super Blackhawk Hunter Scope placement [Re: s4s4u] #69127 05/07/2010 4:14 AM
zac0419 Offline OP
OP Offline
Gregg, I don't have any pictures other than the one's on this forum from other guys. I don't have the scope "in hand" yet.

http://www.handgunhunt.com/readArticle.php?letter_id=38

(scroll to last pic)

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthre...=true#Post66924

(second pic)

Now that I pay closer attention, these aren't even as far back as they could be. I'll only have a couple of weeks to play with it in July before one more range week prior to Nov. It's not a lot of time before the hunt to get the work in. I know it's going to basically come down to personal preference, I was trying to judge whether or not to have a Weigland on hand in case I needed it.

s4s4u,
That's a good point about the reduced flip and at least for now a holster isn't an issue. Where I'm hunting this year we literally walk about 200 yds from the car, and hunt real thick hardwoods that are full of deer. Most shot's are inside of 60yds, but I'd like this gun (with lots more practice) to be good for 100-130yds.

Zac
CO
Re: Super Blackhawk Hunter Scope placement [Re: zac0419] #69128 05/07/2010 4:40 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Thanks for the links to the pics, Zac. It does look like you could move the scope back a bit if the bell will clear the rear sight and it doesn't interfere with thumb to hammer to scope clearance...

If it "feels right" to you, have no worries; doesn't matter what others say or think as long as it isn't a safety or other major issue.

I like the way the scope sits on my Freedom Arms .454, it balances and looks good (IMO).
\:\)
\:\)
and there is adequate thumb to hammer to scope clearance.

Re: Super Blackhawk Hunter Scope placement [Re: Gregg Richter] #69145 05/07/2010 4:10 PM
zac0419 Offline OP
OP Offline
After weeks of coming to the decision of the Leupold 2x, I just pulled the trigger on an Ultradot 25mm. I knew the 2x would be better out of a stand and better at the range, but I won't need this gun for +80 yds anytime soon. I think the dot suits me better. I've only shot a scoped handgun one other time (never handgun hunted) and the magnification was very difficult to master with off-hand shooting. I'm pretty good with pistols, so remembering the 2x difficulties still puts me off. I know it was ME that was the problem, I just don't need another handicap.

It looks like the 25mm will work with the existing Ruger rings, I could be wrong. I might go ahead and order the Weigland and a set of low mount rings so they're waiting for me when I get home. Might help it sit a little lower for personal preference. If I don't like them, off to ebay.

Thanks for all that responded even though I veered off the path of the post.

Zac
CO
Re: Super Blackhawk Hunter Scope placement [Re: zac0419] #69192 05/09/2010 1:17 AM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: zac0419
..........even though I veered off the path of the post.

No worries....we drift all over the place regularly!!

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod