Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT #69220 05/09/2010 4:50 PM
sixshot Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
lToday is the first day back from our annual spring bear hunt here in Idaho, as always my wonderful wife (happy mothers day to all) 3 of our 4 son's & 3 of the grandsons were along for the hunt. We had a magnificent time!!
We saw much wildlife, lots of bears, deer, elk, turkeys, rabbits, quail & coyotes. We didn't see any wolves on this trip but did see their tracks in the mud. Few states have the variety of both big & small game as Idaho, although Montana & Wyoming are very similar. My second home, Texas, is also a game rich state with much variety.
I often chuckle when I read where someone is the first to do this or that in the hunting world, in this case I'll have to chuckle at myself as their were many firsts on this hunt. It was a first as far as how many bears were seen in 7 days, it was a first as far as how many bears we shot in 7 days & there was one other first that I'll relate to later.
Because of the number of bears spotted the 3 grandsons got a lifetime of experience on one hunt, they were totally facinated when they watched a momma bear with twin cubs (very common) feeding in a grassy meadow & then suddenly a large boar appears & the mother sends the cubs up a tree, she then humps up & charges the boar, he doesn't want a fight with a mad sow & retreats to the safety of the heavy cover, she retrieves her cubs & they take off. They saw two bears raise up on their hind legs & playfully fight. They set & watched numerous bears for hours as they fed in their natural habitat, taking it all in as only 3 young boys can do.
After a long drive we got the 5th wheel set up & with only 1 hour of hunting light left the son's & grandson's wanted to go look around, I decided to stay in camp & help my wife get the T bone steaks ready for supper, my wife is a fabulous cook & the guys had gourmet meals everynight along with homemade pies, cakes, rolls, strawberry shortcake, etc. The boys, although long gone from the nest will not go hunting without their mother!
When it got to 10pm & no boys yets their mother started to worry, I told her if they weren't back by now they had a bear down. She decided to go to bed & at 11 pm I put the steaks on, 20 minutes later they showed up & Travis had killed a great bear. First #1, they had seen 10 bears in 45 minutes, 6 at the same time! After a short stalk & a great shot he had the bear down, it turned out to be the second largest bear we've ever taken.
I found this wonderful bear paradise a few years ago & although its a 2 bear area we've never tried to take that many bears, one each is enough, we want to save some for the grandsons.
Second #1 was the total number of bears (59) in one week, although I'm sure several times we had seen the same bears before so the total is probably more like 30-35. This wonderful mountain is about 2 miles long with many canyons, pine pockets, grassy meadows with scattered bushy draws in between & plenty of fresh water running down almost every draw, its as fine a place to bear hunt as I've found in over 40 years of hunting them.
If you've ever hunted bears you know they never stop moving, its a constant challenge to locate one & hope he's still there when you make the stalk. Many times we spot bears from over a mile away with mybe 2-3 hours of walking involved to reach them, if you could see this rugged country you would know what I mean.
In all the years I've hunted bears I don't think we've ever lost so much time to bad weather, bear hunting is totally dependent on weather & here in the Rocky Mountains spring weather will change rapidly from sunny to rain, wind, sleet, snow & back to sunny in the course of several hours, you have to be prepared to meet mother nature head on & keep hunting.
We had lots of wind rain & snow, it beat us down almost everyday, in the entire week we had 2 marginal days & one good day, on the first marginal day we killed one bear, on the one good day we killed 2 bears & missed a 3rd one. We were holding out for big bears, all of us have taken numerous bears so shooting the small ones has been a thing of the past for a long time.
One day I had to drive 60 miles each way to find a battery for my 4 wheeler, its a long way between towns in central Idaho, I took the 3 grandsons along planning to show them the old store at Shoup but decided it would take too long to drive ove there, the boys still seen some of the most beautiful country in America.
This is bear #1, he's probably going to square 7 feet, thats a mighty big black bear, our biggest went 7' 9" two years ago. Travis shot him with a custom 30/06 at 75 yds. Travis is 6' 2" & weighs 240 lbs, this is a great bear.

Me & Travis skinning his bear, I'm breaking in my new Bill Snow knife (thanks guys!) its much easier to skin one on the tailgate than on the ground, we also have skinned them right on top of the 4 wheelers.

A large pile of bear crap. On the 3 day I worked in on a nice mature bear & when I got into heavy cover I probably spotted 25 piles of bear hooey, this bear had been living there for quite a while! My oldest son was signaling me in from 1200 yds away while he watched the show unfold through the spotting scope, when I got within 75 yds I was hung up in very heavy cover, the bear was feeding out in the open. Bears have hearing as good as a deer, a nose thats better than a bloodhound & eyes about like a humans, their eyes always reminded me of a snapping turtles eyes, kind of haunting!
I couldn't see the bear, the cover was so thick I just set down, hoping he would feed into an open spot where I could whack him with my Alan Harton 480. After several minutes I decided I had to do something, it was getting late, I could either try to call him in or try to sneak closer in the heavy cover. I really didn't want to call him in close in the heavy cover, I'm not very good at the River Dance without a lot of room.
As I started easing down throug the heavy cover my son told me later that the bear heard something, he started peering down into the thick cover & then stood up on his hind legs for a better look. I don't think he ever saw or smelled me but he heard something he didn't like & took off running.

On day six I had one of the grandsons with me & we watched several bears off in the distance, as the sun started to go down we started climbing back up the mountain to the 4 wheeler, on one of our many rest breaks Ridge spotted a bear down by the stream, when I started glassing I could see it was 2 bears, a large chocolate phase bear & a smaller blonde colored one. In all my life I've only seen one other blonde bear, before the week was out I would see 3!
I gave Ridge my Swarovski's & told him to watch them & if he heard me shoot to circle the mountain on the 4 wheeler & drop down into the canyon. With my trusty walking stick in hand ( a real life saver in the mountains) I took off. When I reached the bottom it was getting late, the bears were working their way down into some heavy cover, I was doing the same. The ground was soft & the walking was quiet, when I got onto a good game trail I set down & waited.
After a few minutes I could see both bears, the big chocolate was the one I wanted, I couldn't get a reading with the rangefinder because of the heavy brush but there was a pine tree just off his nose, it was 41 yds, I waited for an opening, the big bear moved along & the smaller blonde moved into a clear spot but I didn't want to shoot it, blonde bears are usually young sows, this bear was legal but I didn't want to shoot a small one. Within the next few minutes I had the gun on the big chocolate 2-3 times but it was getting so dark I couldn't see the front sight & had to pass.
Anytime I get in close on any animal I always cock the hammer & stick my left thumb in between the hammer & frame & carry the gun in my left hand, I only do this when I plan to do little if any moving. I slowly let the hammer down & started the long walk back up the mountain in the dark.

Some beautiful bear country on one of the marginal days.

One of the many bad days, standing in almost the same place as the above photo, Ridge is with me.

My lovely wife & perhaps the finest cook on the planet!

Much more later!! Several bear photo's!! Dick

Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: sixshot] #69221 05/09/2010 5:15 PM
zac0419 Offline
Good story, look's like you had a great time with the family.

Keep the pics and words coming. You just put something else on my to-do list. I'm a deer guy and an elk rookie. No experience with bears. How do these black bear's taste? I'd have a hard time hunting something I won't eat.

Zac
CO
Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: sixshot] #69222 05/09/2010 5:20 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Can't wait for more..........

Exodus 20:5-11
Matthew 5:18
Revelation 22:14

ISPBS--Expert Level

Please don't use e-mail, contact me w/ PM.
Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: sixshot] #69223 05/09/2010 5:21 PM
pter1020k Offline
addict
addict
sounds like a great hunt

Genesis chapter 1 verse 26

When shooting a single shot their are no warning shots.

Keith
Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: pter1020k] #69224 05/09/2010 8:18 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Good story!Do you use hollowpoints or cast bullets on the bears?

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: johnwilliams] #69227 05/09/2010 9:29 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Extraordinary hunt!!!! One of these days, one of these days.....

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: KRal] #69230 05/09/2010 10:56 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Sounds like you had a great hunt, Dick. Thanks for taking us along!

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: Russell] #69231 05/09/2010 11:37 PM
just-a-hunter Offline
Great report!!!!

Todd

Hunting isn't something I do. It's who I am.
Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: Russell] #69236 05/10/2010 12:44 AM
sixshot Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Finally on the last day of the hunt we got the weather we wanted, it was quite clear, maybe 55 degrees & no wind, the bears would be hungry from staying holed up so much in the last 6-7 days....now it was our turn.
We spotted a couple of bears almost immediately but they were doing a lot of moving around, then about noon one of them gave us just enough time to work in & Brett busted him with his 375 Chey-Tac at just under 400 yds, a nice black bear, we were back in the winners circle. He had built the rifle himself & this was the second kill with it, last year he took a muley buck at 807 yds, one shot.
A nice mature black bear taken by Brett.

Here's Brett with his bear & the 375 Chey-Tac.

Later the same day I kept seeing bears in almost every draw, they were wanting to feed. As I glassed up the valley a mile or so I could see 2 bears feeding out into the grassy meadows, a mature cinammon phase bear & a larger blonde bear, this was the 3rd blonde one in my hunting life, I couldn't believe it. At about the same time Shane, who had recently had achillies surgery & was wearing a walking cast was looking at a blonde bear 30 miles to the north of his brothers. Travis was his spotter.
The bear kept coming a little closer & then angled off towards some heavy pines, Travis told him it was 525 yds, he was shooting his own custom 280 with 140 gr slugs, at the shot the bear crumbled, we had another one, only dad was left & I had 3 hours of daylight left.
This is the only photo I got & the blonde sow is covered in a lot of blood, I'll get better pictures from Shane's camera, she's is magnificient!

I had spotted 2 bears down my way, I decided to take a trail on the 4 wheeler & see if I could skirt them & get the wind in my favor, it was a 5-6 mile circle to get in position.
This country is very rugged, lots of cliffs, deep canyons, water in many places & the ground was kind of slick because of the rain & snow, I couldn't make very good time. As I got farther down the mountain I suddenly spotted a bear right in front of me, I now had the wind & it had no idea I was there. At first I thought it was one of the two I had spotted earlier, it was not, this bear was another cinammon phase bear & looked to be a very nice one.
The distance was about 75 yds but very steep, if you dropped a bowling ball where I was standing it would have went 500-600 yds to the bottom. I eased the big 480 out of my Barranti masterpiece, cocked the hammer, put my left thumb between the frame & hammer & started moving in. At 45-50 yds I set down, caught my breath & looked through the binoc's to make sure the bear was alone, it was.
I moved to the left side of the pine tree I was hiding behind, brought up my knees & took a deep breath. Now you'll hear about the 3rd 1st time ever event in my life, I settled the sights in tight behind the shoulder & squeezed the trigger & heard the worst sound I've heard in over 50 years of hunting....CLICK...the bear raised its head, I was so stunned I hurried the second shot & it fired but I could tell from the bears reaction I had shot over, the bear looked down towards where the bullet hit & then ran to my left, I shot again.....CLICK.... now the bear turns up hill towards me on a dead run, it stops broadside at maybe 20 yds & looks down the canyon again, I hold on the right front shoulder.....CLICK.... the bear hears the hammer fall & looks me right in the eye, whirls & dives in the brush, I try shooting again & this one fires but I was so shocked at what was happening I'm not sure I even expected anything. Three of the first 4 had misfired, I pulled a Glenn Swaggartt & threw the gun out into the grass & just laid back on the ground trying to replay what had just happened.
When I set up I caught a glimpse of the bear running out the bottom of a pine pocket 300 yds below me.
At first I thought it was something to do with the transfer bar, perhaps the pawl, I just didn't know, in all my life I've never had something like that happen. I could have killed that bear with a wet kleenex, heck I could have killed it with my bare hands I was so upset.
I found my 4 wheeler at 10:20, it was a long ride out of there, I reached the 5th wheel just before midnight & told them what had happened. The next morning my gunsmith son (Shane) said, lets go look at your gun. If we cocked it fast the hammer would go into the full cock position but the cylinder wasn't indexing, you had to turn it with your hand, if you cocked it slow it worked fine everytime.
The night before when I had got in close to the other 2 bears I told my grandson to listen & if he heard me shoot to come around the mountain & pick me up. When I had gained 1/2 mile of distance from the bears I fired a shot, waited a while & walked another 200 yds or so & fired again, this one didn't fire, it was pitch black but I felt the cylinder & it hadn't locked in. The photo shows 2 rounds with a firing pin dent in the rim, one round shows 2 dents, one from each night.
I'll talk with Alan tomorrow & I'm sure it will be an easy fix, this is just something that can happen with anything mechanical & it did happen. I'll take out my frustrations on badgers & rock chucks when I get the gun back, there's always another day for bear hunting.

If you look close there are 3 bears in the photo, a sow with 2 cubs, they are probably 2,000 yds away.

More later, Dick

Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: sixshot] #69238 05/10/2010 12:51 AM
sixshot Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
John, I don't use anything but cast, they've worked well for me for 45 years, I've never lost an animal.....but the gun does need to fire!!

Dick

Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: sixshot] #69239 05/10/2010 12:55 AM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Wow, excellent hunt there Dick. But what a bummer with the wheelgun. I remember reading another post where you have that thing dialed in. I think you could shoot heads off grasshoppers with that thing. I'd say that's the luckiest bear on the planet.

Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: sixshot] #69240 05/10/2010 12:56 AM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
That just ain't right!You probably had more of a surprised look on your face then the bear did.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: johnwilliams] #69245 05/10/2010 2:01 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Dick, I got sick at my stomach just reading that! Still an awesome hunt though.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: KRal] #69253 05/10/2010 2:51 AM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
 Quote:
I'd say that's the luckiest bear on the planet.

Exactly what I was thinking. Awesome hunt sixshot, thanks for sharing!!!!

Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: sixshot] #69257 05/10/2010 3:07 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Excellent story!! Dick I'm guessing that's a five shot conversion? That is a common problem with the five shots I know and I've seen it the other way where it will only lock when cocked hard (which is more normal). It normally comes down to pawl length or I have seen problems with the oversized cylinder latches if they aren't fitted just right where they engage the hammer. I'm sure you guys will get her fixed but let us know what caused the problem

Last edited by wapitirod; 05/10/2010 3:09 AM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: sixshot] #69260 05/10/2010 3:28 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Wow Dick, that is a tough break! Sounds like a great hunt for the boys, and you too except yours did not end in a BANG!

LOLOL
\:\)
\:\)

Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: Gregg Richter] #69286 05/10/2010 12:55 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Truly a great hunt Dick!!!

Thanks for sharing and the beautiful pictures.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: Tigger] #69288 05/10/2010 1:01 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Tough break, Dick. But overall it looks like it was a great time!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: Whitworth] #69339 05/11/2010 4:39 PM
sixshot Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
More bear photo's.

This is Brett's bear, taken with the 375 Chey-Tac at just under 400 yds.

Three of my sons & 3 of the grandsons with Bretts bear.

Travis's large bear, this is an honest 7 footer, taken with his custom 30/06 at 75 yds after a very good stalk.

This is Shane's blonde bear, taken about 30 miles from the other 2, you can see its a little different terrain. This is one of the most beautiful bears you'll ever see, the hide is perfect.

Dick

Last edited by sixshot; 05/11/2010 4:45 PM.
Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: sixshot] #69343 05/11/2010 5:48 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Nice bears, Dick! Have you spoken with Alan Harton yet about your revolver? Did you ever figure out what the problem is/was?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: IDAHO SPRING BEAR HUNT [Re: Whitworth] #69380 05/12/2010 2:02 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Dick,

As always, fantastic stories and pictures...thanks for taking us along!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod