Next Thread
Print Thread
Any action on the bait yet Snyd????? #69976 05/21/2010 10:55 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Just wondering...
Went on a quick halibut trip out of Seward yesterday. Saw goats but no bears. Only one small halibut out of 4 guys fishing too.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Any action on the bait yet Snyd????? [Re: Vance in AK.] #69984 05/22/2010 6:46 AM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Not yet. It'll be 2 weeks tomorrow since I put it out. I'm getting ansty but guys say relax, it's juts getting to be that time north of Faribanks, which is where I'm hunting. I may go up tomorrow night and do a sweet stink burn.

Hey, at least you got out and got one.

Re: Any action on the bait yet Snyd????? [Re: Snyd] #69990 05/22/2010 11:41 AM
SKR Offline
Just "ain't right" to tease us flatlanders like that with stories of things you AK guys get to do.

LOL!

Go Get Em!

Thanks for putting up with me and GOD BLESS!
Steve
Newbie gets a hit!! [Re: SKR] #70264 05/30/2010 12:54 AM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I put the wifey on the back of the 4-wheeler this morning and we tookied on up into the hills. It's been three weeks since I set my bait and as of last monday night not a hit. So, I decided that I'd set up another station if I didn't get hit yet. On the way in I spotted some tracks in the mud, yes! finally bear sign! first tracks I've seen. Across the valley from my bait about 3/4 of a mile away. I know where to setup on the way back if I my first bait didn't get hit yet. We motored around the head of the valley, went off trail, lumpity bumped for a mile, parked the quad, hiked in and snuck into my little ground blind tree grove and peered through the brush at the barrel. When I left it monday I could clearly see bait in the barrel hole, now nothing, I GOT HIT!!. We sat a bit but didn't see or hear anything so we filled up again with my sweet honey popcorn, leftover sheet cake with frosting and some other stuff. I spread around some scent balls in the area, sprayed the brush down with Anise along with some foam rubber sponges in a couple trees and also poured some grease around the barrel. Then it happened, I turned around and there was the wifey, dropping her drawers, "marking her spot" right there behind the bait barrel tree
I hollered, I think she fell in the moss, apologized, stood up and got her britches back on. I sprayed it down with anise and dropped a few blueberry balls on it. The ground that is!
\:D

The area was not all torn up, I couldn't find any major clumps of hair, just a few little ones on the barrel hole opening. They looked black or blackish brown but hard to tell. I didn't see anything to indicate for sure it was a griz so I'm pretty confident it was a blackie.

Time to go sit on the bait. I think I'll head up this evening and sit to the wee hours, drink coffee and see what happens. Might not be able to make it back until tomorrow night though.

Wish me luck, this it too cool! I got a hit! I got a hit!

Re: Newbie gets a hit!! [Re: Snyd] #70270 05/30/2010 5:37 AM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
\:D

My 5 yr old boy did the exact same thing last year while I wasn't looking! It was his 1st timee checking the bait & the boy likes any excuse to let fly in the woods
;\)
Made no difference on my site. It was hit again the same night (while I wasn't there of course) so it didn't seem to mess stuff up too bad.
Looking forward to pics tomorrow! (Of the bear)

Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Newbie gets a hit!! [Re: Vance in AK.] #70271 05/30/2010 8:34 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
well they need to leave their mark on their bit of territory you know
;\)
Glad your getting some action on the bait and good luck! By the way something I just thought of. With you living in Alaska you probably already know this but it might be worth mentioning for those not familiar with the bear woods. I'm not trying to be crude but one thing you want to be careful about in the woods and especially in areas with high bear densities is if your wife, daughter, etc is on their menstrual cycle. They have found that bears can pick up the scent from a ways off and when they come in they can be pretty worked up. Just something to think about that I know some people aren't aware of.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Newbie gets a hit!! [Re: wapitirod] #70275 05/30/2010 1:43 PM
pter1020k Offline
addict
addict
so what you are saying is my wife will work well for bait. atleast for that time of the month.glad to know she can be usefull in the woods;)

Genesis chapter 1 verse 26

When shooting a single shot their are no warning shots.

Keith
Re: Newbie gets a hit!! [Re: pter1020k] #70285 05/30/2010 9:20 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
yeah that is one way of looking at it.LOL

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Newbie gets a hit!! [Re: wapitirod] #70294 05/31/2010 12:26 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I use to raise registered holstein bulls and they could sense it as soon as a woman came into the barn.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Newbie gets a hit!! [Re: Tigger] #70300 05/31/2010 3:11 AM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, it looks like it will be tomorrow night before I can get back out. We had made plans with another couple to go hiking to day so we did and had a great day. Hiked up in the mtns outside Healy (near Denali). Saw 7 Dall sheep including one banana ram! Got me all worked up for sheep hunting!! By the time we got home it was late and I was wiped. Tomorrow will be a lazy day, nap in the afternoon and sit on the bait from evening to 1 or 2 am I suppose.

No worries about the "time of month" thing. Wifey's past that!

Re: Newbie gets a hit!! [Re: Snyd] #70313 05/31/2010 7:40 PM
Vance in AK. Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Hope you have a great evening Snyd.

Vance in AK.

Re: Any action on the bait yet Snyd????? [Re: Vance in AK.] #70898 06/10/2010 5:56 PM
RANGER RICK Offline
Snyd

How is that Blackie hunting going ??

RR

Home of the 500 Magnum Tyrannosaurus Thumpers .

Perfect practice makes perfect
Re: Any action on the bait yet Snyd????? [Re: RANGER RICK] #71487 06/22/2010 2:50 PM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
We were out of town for a weekend and then busy this past weekend. I'm headed out tonight or tomorrow to check the bait. No hits after the first one. This weekend will probably be the last hoorah for this year.

Re: Any action on the bait yet Snyd????? [Re: Snyd] #71488 06/22/2010 3:13 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Good luck Snyd!Maybe a brute of a blackie will pay you a visit.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: Any action on the bait yet Snyd????? [Re: cottonstalk] #71608 06/25/2010 5:22 AM
briarhopper Offline
addict
addict
Hope you have a a good hit. I am in Fairbanks today myself, was sitting on a bait station out of Talkeetna on Tuesday. 8 hours sitting in the woods with nary a sign. Had a scope on my new SBH and had her all sighted in and I was lathered up to finally blood it. Oh well. If it were easy, my little sister could do it.

If it were supposed to be easy, they'd have sent my little sister to do it.
Re: Any action on the bait yet Snyd????? [Re: briarhopper] #71853 06/30/2010 2:37 AM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Baiting season is over tomorrow, bait station has to be cleaned up by then. I made my last trek to my bait station last friday night to hunt and cleanup. I had been hit again, 2nd time. But this time it was definitely a griz.

I learned a lot this year being a first timer. Next year I'll find a different spot, get a trail cam and probably build a tree stand/platform. Now it's time to go sheep hunting next month (rifle) and then caribou and/or moose with handgun.

Last edited by Snyd; 06/30/2010 6:24 AM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod