Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
finally entered the handgun world ! #70984 06/13/2010 12:46 PM
silent sniper Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
i already have 4 blcakpowder pistols and revolvers, but i decided i wanted something new. so i went to the gun shop and instantly fall in love with a matched pair of new ruger vagueros in the box unfired with consecutive serial numbers. they are both 45 colt calibers and have the 5 1/2 barrel. i am looking for something to plint around with and hunt groundhogs,deer, and this september..bear. i read alot about the balistics of the 45 colt and was suprised to see how low the power actually is. most factory rounds were in the 400 to 500 FPE range. so i went back the next day and saw that they also had a ruger blackhawk with a 4 and something inch barrel in 41 mag. the 41 mag vastly outpowers the 45. well i ended up getting the pair of vagueros anyway. my question is what loads do you guys suggest in these pistols ? i wanted to use super hot buffalo bore 45+P rounds in them for when i go bear hunting with it, but i read reviews and found these bullets wont fit in the cylinder. so wat would be a good factory round for bear that will fit in the vaquero cylinder ? will the new hornady LEVERevolution 45 colt ammo fit in the new vaquero cylinder ? thanks SS

Re: finally entered the handgun world ! [Re: silent sniper] #70986 06/13/2010 1:03 PM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
The power situation quickly changes when you handload for a modern Ruger 45 Colt. The loads you were looking at were probably Cowboy Action Loads.
Much hotter 45 colt loads are available, but would probably need to be special ordered, or ordered from Midway or a similar vender. Specialty ammo is also a little on the costly side.

You are a member, so you can check the Reloading Section of this Forum. Have a look at 45 Colt loads, and you will be impressed by it's power.

The big problem using a Vaquaro for hunting for me would be the lack of Adjustable Sights. It would probably require some gunsmith attention to mount optical sights on them. With a matching pair you probably would not want to do this. The point of aim can be regulated to some extent on a Vaquaro by turning the barrel and filing the front sight as long as Point of Aim and Point of Impact are not really far apart to start with. You would need to come up with a load that works and then pretty much stay with it.

Nothing wrong with a 41 Magnum either. I would do a relook at the choices they have at the gun shop. You seem to be into single action Rugers. I am also guessing you do not reload. This slims the choices down. I would look first at a Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum. Very good selection of ammunition, and not overly costly. The 41 Magnum would work, however ammunition is not as readily available in most places off the shelf.

If you reload, you can make a lot of different calibers work. If you do not stay with something that you can buy ammo for that will work for hunting the intended game. Check ammunition prices out also. Specialty ammo can cost from around $2.00 a shot up. You will shoot it a lot more, when you can buy ammo at Wal Mart or your local gunshop without taking out a loan first.

See You At The Range
Re: finally entered the handgun world ! [Re: Bob Roach] #70994 06/13/2010 2:59 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
Have to be careful if the Vaquero's are the new cowboy action guns. They have been reduced in size and I would not shoot real hot loads in them. They are stronger then Colts.
I will not tell you what I shoot from my older Vaquero until you find what you have.

Re: finally entered the handgun world ! [Re: 430man] #71005 06/13/2010 4:58 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I echo 430man, find out what Vaquero you have.

The larger, older gun will work fine. You will need to find a laod that is consistant with the sights. The front sight can be modified some to the laod.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: finally entered the handgun world ! [Re: Tigger] #71012 06/13/2010 6:00 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
silent sniper,

WELCOME to the wonderful world of handgun hunting. Stick around here and you will enjoy it as well as learn a lot.

Re: finally entered the handgun world ! [Re: Gregg Richter] #71024 06/13/2010 9:55 PM
silent sniper Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
i have the new model vaqueros, not the old style. yes i do really like single action revolvers. and i figured that i will definetly buy more pistols so next time i will look into the super blackhawk. i will definetly have to reload sense most factory rounds cost more then i would like to spend lol. i got a reloader today and a can of unique powder. all i need is the 45 colt dies and bullets. i want to shoot just about the most powerful rounds out of the vaqueros as i can, because big bears are tough and mean. my dad has a super redhawk in 44 mag that i can also use on the bear hunt if i cant get my vaqueros hot enough. i am pretty excited about the new pistols. i bought them out of state and had them shipped to my local gun shop so they should come in the next couple weeks.

Re: finally entered the handgun world ! [Re: silent sniper] #71037 06/14/2010 1:22 AM
minnesotahunter Offline
old hand
old hand
Congrats on the new guns!! Vaqueros are great guns.
You should be fine shooting any regular 45colt loads. Just don't shoot the "Ruger Only" loads, because like mentioned earlier, the New Vaqueros are a little smaller than the originals. Stay within SAMMI specs for 45colt and you should be fine.

Re: finally entered the handgun world ! [Re: minnesotahunter] #71046 06/14/2010 4:29 AM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I love the 45colt and I have got two loads for you,niether are with unique but here goes 8.5gr of 231 under a 260-280gr lfn and 13gr of hs-6.There is an article about loading the new vaqs I will see if I can find it it is by Pierce.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy
Re: finally entered the handgun world ! [Re: cottonstalk] #71086 06/14/2010 10:34 PM
dan480man Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Vaquero's are a great plinkin', short range hunting gun. Once you get use to the sights, you'll do fine at ranges the game you mentioned is normally taken at.
I would't get toooooo caught up in trying to make a fire-breather out of it (unless you just want too, which is alright too!).
A REAL original .45 Colt type load, like a 250gr SWC at around 900-1000fps out of your barrel, will easily shoot straight through any deer you'll ever see, and leave a large wound channel. Plus it will be very shootable to boot. So loaded, it is by NO means a pipsqueak.
FPE is very misleading.

Re: finally entered the handgun world ! [Re: dan480man] #71133 06/15/2010 1:47 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: dan480man
Vaquero's are a great plinkin', short range hunting gun. Once you get use to the sights, you'll do fine at ranges the game you mentioned is normally taken at.
I would't get toooooo caught up in trying to make a fire-breather out of it (unless you just want too, which is alright too!).
A REAL original .45 Colt type load, like a 250gr SWC at around 900-1000fps out of your barrel, will easily shoot straight through any deer you'll ever see, and leave a large wound channel. Plus it will be very shootable to boot. So loaded, it is by NO means a pipsqueak.
FPE is very misleading.

How true that is!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 93 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod