Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Loads for 44 mag Blackbear over bait in Maine? #71199 06/16/2010 6:33 PM
the truth Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I'm currently shooting MagTech 240gr softnose, and was curious to know anyones prefered loads or if anyone has had experience on game and bears with this load.

Re: Loads for 44 mag Blackbear over bait in Maine? [Re: the truth] #71202 06/16/2010 7:00 PM
dan480man Offline
journeyman
journeyman
At close range, (Im gonna call hunting over bait close in this case, cause when we do it is about 50yds), your factory load will do fine if you do your job.
I have taken several deer with that exact round,(used to be much cheaper than other brands in my area!) and they worked fine.
On broadside shots, I couldn't percieve any real expansion. This doesn't surprise me, or upset me. Many manufactures factory JSP's or JHP's don't greatly expand in my experience. The large caliber however, secures the game fine without it.
My experience with the Magtechs was that their muzzle velocity was around 1200fps over my chrony. Admittedly, that has been a couple years ago, so that could have changed.
While not a max load in a .44, it is still very powerfull.
Over the years, I have actually started to appreciate NON max loads more and more, and load to about that level of performance.
If you handload, a 250gr Kieth hardcast lead, or 270gr Golddot JSP if you prefer jackets, at the same velocity above, would be even better, with about the same level of recoil.

Re: Loads for 44 mag Blackbear over bait in Maine? [Re: dan480man] #71207 06/16/2010 9:12 PM
cottonstalk Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have some experience with bears,not over bait but close quarters.If you like jacketed at least step up to 300gr,you won't regret it.If cast is what you like double tap,buffalo bore,and grizzly have some loads that will work.JMO

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 93 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod