Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Lapping tools and ring selection. #71374 06/20/2010 11:09 AM
SKR Offline OP
OP Offline
Seems to be, like in EVERYTHING I look at, a fairly large price range variation on scope ring lapping kits or tools and the rings too, of course. (Some rings cost more than I used to pay for SCOPES)

I'm looking at such to properly mount the Mark 4 Leupy to the MOA on arrival and so far looking at the Wheeler Engineering Scope Ring Alignment and Lapping Kit 30mm. I already have some Warne 30mm rings but think they are going to be too high for the MOA. HIGH is nice for aligning your HEAD (only IMO) but normally not considered to be the best option when having them higher than needed.

Just how MUCH that effects shooting MOSTLY out to 400 yards is subject to discussion as well. Cant see it making things REALLY that much more difficult but do realize most follow, as I have always followed, the "lower is better" train of thought.

The kit having the alignment bars to use before lapping makes sense to me but some come without.

So, any suggestions on decent rings (hunting purpose) and lapping kits is appreciated.

Just going with the best, that cost the most isnt an option here since this will probably be my ONLY 30mm scope unless I win the lotto or something.
;\)

Looking for a good used set but finding little so far.

God Bless and sorry for all the dang questions. ONLY way I can become more knowledgable is hang out with those of you that DO know, asking questions (even if they DO seem like no brainers TO YOU.)

Thanks for putting up with me and GOD BLESS!
Steve
Re: Lapping tools and ring selection. [Re: SKR] #71382 06/20/2010 1:55 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Sell the Warne and buy some Medium Burris Signature Zee Rings (inserts).
You won't need to buy a lapping kit this way either.
If I don't use The Burris Zee Rings, I use Leupold Mark 4 Rings, or NF's rings. I would also use Near Manufacturing Rings.

The Burris is cheaper and will work great for your set-up.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Lapping tools and ring selection. [Re: Ernie] #71404 06/21/2010 12:38 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
 Originally Posted By: Ernie
Sell the Warne and buy some Medium Burris Signature Zee Rings (inserts).
You won't need to buy a lapping kit this way either.

X2 That's what I use on the XP's and the Strkiers

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Lapping tools and ring selection. [Re: Tigger] #71416 06/21/2010 6:17 AM
SKR Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, Gonna stick my head in my own noose and further convince some (all?) that I'm either nutso or "old fashioned" but while I realize the Zee rings work and most (not all though) are liking the Zee rings..........plastic, ARGHHHHH!

A sound thought process, cushioning the scope/ring union but...........if SO sound, HOW COME something so SIMPLE wasnt done YEARS if not DECADES ago?

I have to bow to greater experience and I DID ASK and I thank you for the input guys but I have to think on this.

I might have to bite the bullet and sell "other stuff" I got accumulating and just pick up some Mark 4 rings. The SCOPE is my first "high end" (arent most of them? LOL) Leupold and know YOU guys have LOTS more in your set ups but .........my fingers are shaking typing about plastic ANYTHING on my firearm.

Hey.........at least I CAN ADMIT that I am weird on some things. Do I get credit for that? ROFL!

Might change my mind. That has happened SEVERAL times reviewing the suggestions you guys kindly offer so.....I'm not lost yet.

Swapped some 224 bullets of a Lapping kit.....so far.

THANKS and GOD BLESS!

Steve
Re: Lapping tools and ring selection. [Re: SKR] #71423 06/21/2010 12:24 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I would have assumed that since I used the Burris "Plastic" Zee Ring Inserts in my 7mm Dakota XP long enough to fry a barrel, and have even used them on the 338 Lapua Improved XP that it would be enough to hold a Mark 4 for the diminutive 6.5-284.
\:D

As always, get what you want.
There are many ways to "skin the cat."

Would the plastic insert system be even better if it was designed for a beefier design like the Mark 4 rings? Yes.
Have I ever had a scope slip with the inserts, No.
Would it be possible for someone to machine aluminum inserts-Yes!

Personally, I have been using the NF rings more since I can get Shawn Carlock's ring top that has both the level and the ACI holder on it.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Lapping tools and ring selection. [Re: Ernie] #71435 06/21/2010 6:28 PM
SKR Offline OP
OP Offline
 Originally Posted By: Ernie

Personally, I have been using the NF rings more since I can get Shawn Carlock's ring top that has both the level and the ACI holder on it.

ACI ( I had to look it up!).....I dont even WANT to know how to use that!
\:o

Seems state of the art for YOU, LOOOOOOOOOOONG range guys but KISS is my one and only SOP anymore even if I jump the fence occasionally into the realm of high tech! (more often than not retreating with my tail between my legs!)

The Mark IV is my first Mildot too......that's enough for this ol' fart for one season of learning longER range shooting (longer to ME anyway).
Kinda like eating an elephant. I take ONE BITE AT A TIME!

The MOA with the 6br and the 6.5x284 barrels (and you think the 6.5x284 is diminutive? LOL!) is SO "way the rip out there!" as my buddy says, compared to "normal" deer guns here that the Leupy Mark IV wont be noticed TOO much except by some varmint shooters here. If I had a level or ACI I'd have to EXPLAIN it's use.......uh.

I've been thinking of having the conversation recorded at the local shop when I leave with it after in Aug when it comes. Cheap entertainment!
\:\)

Looking at the NF rings too Ernie. No offense on the previous Burris suggestion but if nothing else I can increase my learning curve a bit with the incoming lapping tool. (also a first for me)
Makes me a bit more "a part of" my hunting gun, so to speak?

Never thought I'd be a virgin.........AGAIN but danged if it isnt begining to SOUND like I am in some areas.

Look OUT, DEER! Time is running OUT!

God Bless!
Steve

Last edited by SKR; 06/21/2010 6:38 PM.
Re: Lapping tools and ring selection. [Re: SKR] #71470 06/22/2010 5:52 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Since you are keeping your distances around 400 yards and it sounds like it is not likely you will be shooting steep angles the ACI is not that vital for you.
A bubble level mounted properly is important though.
Canting is a problem that will cause problems for you.
It is one of the more common mistakes I have seen in new shooters stretching out the distances.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Lapping tools and ring selection. [Re: SKR] #71471 06/22/2010 5:55 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: SKR
[quote=Ernie]
And you think the 6.5x284 is diminutive? LOL! Steve

Yes, compared to the 7mm Dakota and the 338 Lapua Improved.
My thoughts were that since the ZEE Rings stood up well with these cartridges, it could handle a much smaller case (comparatively) with ease.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Lapping tools and ring selection. [Re: Ernie] #71472 06/22/2010 8:02 AM
SKR Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks again, Ernie. You are, of course, correct on those thoughts. On the diminutive, I meant, and failed, to indicate that MY diminutive round is the 6BR. Didnt intend to sound like I disagreed. I don't. Your comparison of rounds/recoil is correct and the point is clear. I just was laughing at MY "dink" round compared to some others.

Simply put, this set up will probably be my "one and only" SP rig and the thoughts on calibers (many questions answered here) barrel lengths (many questions answered here), bullet selection, gun type, powders, scope, rest types etc.....all mostly answered here, influenced my decisions.

Like the level (hmmmm) my decisions were a combo of great advice basterdized by what I wanted and felt fit my desires and my uses, right or wrong.

Thank GOD, none of us always agree on "the best" for everyone or such discussions would never take place or would be, at the very least, EXTREMELY short threads! lol

Who knows? Might end up with a set of Zee rings. Nothing carved in stone, no stone left unturned has been my motto with the end result being sculptured to be "my gun".

I sincerely hope ANYONE reading this realizes (as you have agreed) that the buyer/builder/owner has lots and lots of options but the end result will be part of what each of us are and what we do.

HERE, the 6.5x284 is a freakin CANNON. I kid you not! TO THE MAN, every person seeing (not shooting, not hearing it shot, etc), but just SEEING the round had the same question.

WHY DO YOU NEED SUCH A BIG CARTRIDGE??????!!!

I dont bother informing the locals that while definately "adequate" it's hardly "BIG" by today's standards in SP firearms. It's just big to US since such has only been legal for a few years, and ONLY in handguns.

It's been an interesting and educational ride to date. I expect that will continue for quite some time.

WHO KNOWS? I might even be able to recruit a few SP shooters to the ranks! If I do, it's nothing more than "passing it forward" from all of you, through me, to them.

Thanks again!

Last edited by SKR; 06/22/2010 8:07 AM.

Steve
Re: Lapping tools and ring selection. [Re: Ernie] #71526 06/23/2010 4:45 AM
jh Offline
stranger
stranger
Thanks for your insight Ernie, I have been looking for rings as well. I took your advice and ordered a set of the Burris Zee rings with the inserts you recommended from Mid South. They will be mounted on my 30-30 AI Contender barrel I have on order from MGM.

Re: Lapping tools and ring selection. [Re: jh] #71527 06/23/2010 5:00 AM
SKR Offline OP
OP Offline
Comparing bubble levels, is their location much of a factor? One or two brands showing greater sensitivity or such?

thanks

Steve
Re: Lapping tools and ring selection. [Re: SKR] #71530 06/23/2010 5:55 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: SKR
Comparing bubble levels, is their location much of a factor? One or two brands showing greater sensitivity or such?

thanks

I like Holland's.

Ernie the Un-Tactical

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod