Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Delima on what would be best for me #71436 06/21/2010 6:57 PM
JumpinJack Offline OP
OP Offline
Planning on buying my handgun in the next few months but am having trouble figuring out what I want and what fits the best. I like the Contenders for versatility but at the same time I will be moving to the South within a couple of years and like the idea of having six rounds of 44 mag for hogs that like to charge. From what I have seen and read T/Cs seem more accurate at longer ranges but was out with a buddy yesterday with his S&W 44 mag with 6.5" barrel and red dot and was grouping 5 shots 1.5" at 25yds and about 2-2.5" at 50yds with rest and 6" group at 50yds off-hand. The revolver felt good without to much recoil using 240gr factory loads. I feel good about my groups seeing as this was the first time I have ever fired a 44mag or any heavy caliber handgun. I know buy both, but I don't have that kind of money. Just looking for opinions on preferred choice, and am planning on up to elk sized game but mostly deer antelope and hogs. Sorry for being long winded thanks, Jack

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: JumpinJack] #71437 06/21/2010 7:19 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
My advice is to start with the single shot. They are much more forgiving than are the revolvers. You will want to add the revolver when you can.

I should have added to my original post. When I started I bought both (Contender in 6.5 JDj & S&W M657 Hunter). I enjoyed shooting the revolver on the range but went back to the TC for hunting. It took me several years to develop the confidence to "hunt" with a revolver. In addition -- I started two cousins in handgun hunting a few seasons back. I started them with revolvers. They struggled for a couple of years (misses & bad hits) --- then I just happen to acquire a couple of Contenders in 7-30. Loaned them to them & told them "Keep it. I may come up there hunting & need a gun." Their hunting success turned around immediately & they enjoyed the "hunt" more because of it. Just my experience. Understand that I live in W Texas & my cousins live in Colorado & NM. Your mileage may differ.

Last edited by wtroper; 06/21/2010 11:02 PM.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: JumpinJack] #71441 06/21/2010 9:40 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
My first hunting handgun was a T/C Contender and it served well. It is a versatile platform with which you can add new chamberings for notsomuch money. I also have many revolvers and I find myself going to them more than the T/C, especially since I got that Ruger .480 SRH. Wheelguns are more fun, pure and simple.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: s4s4u] #71443 06/21/2010 11:01 PM
bigbore442001 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Start with a G2 Contender or Encore in a relatively flat shooting caliber. Also, add a varmint barrel such as a 223 or 22 Hornet for off season plinking and varminting.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: s4s4u] #71444 06/21/2010 11:01 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Welcome to the forum & madness Jack!

I'm with Rod. Revolvers are just more fun for me.
I've had several Encores & Contenders, & they all shot well, but I was never comfortable with them in the field. The revolver just feels more at home there.
And like Rod, I really love my 7.5" SRH in 480 with the red dot sight... Heck, that Rod feller may be all right...

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: Vance in AK.] #71446 06/21/2010 11:15 PM
460man Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Welcome to the site. I started with black powder Reminton 1858 in
44 caliber. I shot a friends contender in a .243 and a smith and wesson .357 mag. I really liked the revolver over the single shot.
I purchased a S&W .460 XVR with 8 3/8" barrel. I love hunting with it. Took my first deer on first shot in the woods. I own a contender in a 30-30 muzzlebroke 12" barrel. It has the rubber grips which I prefer over the wood. If you can try both and go with the one you feel confident with. Then as funds come get the other. Both is always better in hangunning.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: 460man] #71491 06/22/2010 4:15 PM
minnesotahunter Offline
old hand
old hand
I started with a scoped 629, and killed my 1st deer with it. For me it was the perfect gun, because it took care of both short, and medium range duty. Now I carry an iron sighted SBH, and a Encore in 7 08. That way I use the 44mag for anything close, but have the Encore along in case I need to reach out. If I were you, I'd start with a scoped revolver. The scope will help your aiming, and you'll want to limit your range at first anyway. Also, I think revolvers are much easier to shoot offhand.

Plus, you said you like to hunt hogs that may charge!!
No brainer...Revolver.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: minnesotahunter] #71492 06/22/2010 6:02 PM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
CONTENDER: I started with a Super 14 Contender in 7x30 Waters and 22 LR. Ended up with a 35 Bullberry, 6.5 JDJ, 6mm Bullberry Imp and 22 LR barrels for the Contender. They perform great. If I were buying Contender barrels today my choices would be a 22 LR, 223 and a 30-30 Ackley Improved all in Super 14's. Add a Pachmeyer Grip and Forend with Forend Adapters on every barrel. A Hammer Extension, and TSOP 6 screw Scope Mounts. For a scope I would go with a 2.5 - 7 or 3 - 9 variable. I would add sling swivel studs (Forend Screw & Grip Screw Replacements). To round it out get a Boyt Rectangular Case. Add 1" Dee's to the handles above where they attach to the case body on the inside for a Carry Strap. Use 1" webbing to attach the Dee's. You are in business.

REVOLVER: (ONLY IF YOU RELOAD) get a Super Red Hawk in 480 Ruger. If you do not reload get a 44 Magnum again in a Super Red Hawk. (Heavy Gun w/Managable Recoil & Factory Scope Rings) Add a Hogue "TAMER" Grip to it the first thing. If you buy a NEW Ruger, call Ruger and swap the NEW 1" Rings for 30mm. Next I would add a Marble Fiber Optic Front Sight. Then when you can afford it, get a Ultra Dot Red Dot Sight for it. Again get the Boyt case and modify as descriped above for the Contender.

If Hogs are HIGH on your list of game animals I would go with the revolver first. Keep the range down until you are real comfortable with it.

See You At The Range
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: Bob Roach] #71493 06/22/2010 6:25 PM
JumpinJack Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies and info. Hopefully I can get the gun I want before my class that Uncle Sam has set up for me in south Alabama during late Sep and Oct and will be able to pack some meat back home deer and hogs maybe. Nice thing will be my uncle is in a club in Bama and bow season(deer) opens while I am there.

I see most guys on here shooting revolvers shoot S&W or Ruger with some Freedom Arms. Was wondering why Taurus has a hunting line and not to much of a following. Are they just not accurate or poor quality or what?

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: Bob Roach] #71494 06/22/2010 6:34 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My choice would be a 4 5/8 RBH in 45 colt and a T/C Encore (Just because I like the bigger frame)in something like 7-08 with a 2-7 scope. You should be able to do just about anything with those.

Shoot them often and understand your loads and limits--

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: JumpinJack] #71495 06/22/2010 6:40 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: JumpinJack
Thanks for the replies and info. Hopefully I can get the gun I want before my class that Uncle Sam has set up for me in south Alabama during late Sep and Oct and will be able to pack some meat back home deer and hogs maybe. Nice thing will be my uncle is in a club in Bama and bow season(deer) opens while I am there.

I see most guys on here shooting revolvers shoot S&W or Ruger with some Freedom Arms. Was wondering why Taurus has a hunting line and not to much of a following. Are they just not accurate or poor quality or what?

I repeatedly see mixed reports about Taurus. It seems like a quality control issue. Some folks are really happy with their's, while others cite problems. I have shot some (a couple of Raging Bulls, and a Tracker), that I would be more than happy to own.

At the end of the day, every manufacturer, no matter how careful, produces a lemon every now and again.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: H2OBUG] #71497 06/22/2010 8:32 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
Jumping Jack,

I do not expect that you will find many here who use a Taurus. IMHO, the quality is not there. Rugers are on the lower end for most that are serious revolver men (and women). Rugers, S&Ws, a few Colts, BFRs, Freedoms & Customs are much likely to encountered here.

Last edited by wtroper; 06/22/2010 8:34 PM.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: Whitworth] #71498 06/22/2010 8:34 PM
minnesotahunter Offline
old hand
old hand
I've owned S&W, Taurus, and Ruger revolvers. I would go for a Smith or Ruger. I now own Ruger, because I like to be able to shoot hot loads.(i'd love a FA, but too much $$$$$ you could by 4 brand new Rugers for the price of 1 FA someday though.... i'll have one.)
Side by side the Taurus revolvers just don't seem as nice.
Don't know why exactly, they just don't. This is only an opinion however, and you know what they say about opinions.:)

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: wtroper] #71502 06/22/2010 11:15 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Code:
 Rugers are on the lower end for most that are serious revolver men (and women). 

WHAT!!!!

Must we be rich, to be serious?!?!?

Ain't nothin' wrong with Ruger, I see no need for anything else from SA to DA.

The problem with Taurus is notsomuch the quality of the gun, but rather the quality of their customer service. If you EVER have to send yours in, you will find out. I have held the Raging Bull and my only complaint was the long/skinny grip, the Ruger SRH felt right at home. I also have a few Bisley SA's and they bow down to none.

Rod, too.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: s4s4u] #71505 06/23/2010 12:43 AM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
s4s4u,

Sorry. I did not mean to offend you or anyone. However, the fit & finish on the Rugers is just what it is. If you cannot see that, most can. However, they are hell for stout and that is an attribute. Some are surprisingly accurate. All that I have owned have been at least adequate in the accuracy department.

I own several rugers. I also own S&Ws, Colts, & FAs. I have fired several BFRs. IMHO (in my humble opinion), based upon the comparison that I was making (rugers vs S&W, Colts (older Colts), BFR, FA, and customs, clearly the Ruger is at the bottom of the list for fit and finish (and in my experience) for accuracy in general. However, that does not in any way mean that a Ruger is not a useful hunting revolver. Some (usually that have had some work done on them) are also competive competition revolvers.

Now before someone gets their underwear in a wad, read what I have already written. SOME Rugers are extremely accurate --- but not all.

However, Gregg would not have had Rod make him a custom if the factory was like the custom. I have spent enough on a couple of Rugers (trying to get them to be what I wanted them to be) to have had a good custom or two made.

Again, I was only expressing my opinion. I apologize to anyone (and everyone) that I might have offended.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: wtroper] #71506 06/23/2010 1:10 AM
aimingpoint Offline
I must have a couple of Taurus that were built on a Wed. during Lent, I've got a raging bull in 454 casull and a tracker in 357 and I'm very happy with them, I guess it's just a matter of who was on the line the day they were milled. Jusy my opinion
Pete

For the People and By the people
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: aimingpoint] #71508 06/23/2010 1:19 AM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
Pete,

I also have owned various Taurus revolvers. I had a M-85 snub nose 38 that would shoot the lights out. However, down at the local pawn shop is a consignment Raging Bull --- timing is all bad. I would not fire it. It is a piece of crap. There have been others that were not good.

Therefore, if one is going to purchase a "hunting revolver," I could not recommend a Taurus to them. Their are better options -- like a Ruger.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: wtroper] #71512 06/23/2010 2:16 AM
aimingpoint Offline
I've got those as well ;o) my other 454 is a Scoped out SBH it's in my photos. But like I said, there are lemons in everything out there I've been fotunate.
Pete

For the People and By the people
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: wtroper] #71516 06/23/2010 2:57 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: wtroper
Jumping Jack,
Rugers are on the lower end for most that are serious revolver men (and women). Rugers, S&Ws, a few Colts, BFRs, Freedoms & Customs are much likely to encountered here.

Opinions are interesting. Mine has a slight twist from yours... (Neither of us is right or wrong...)
Colt really isn't in the race. When it comes to big bore hunting revolvers they only built one (with cosmetic variations) that I know of, the Anaconda & it's production run was short.
S&Ws are Porches (I love my mod 29!). They are beautiful, well made, precise, & handle well but not overly durable with heavy loads (X-frames withstanding).
If you are a single action guy the BFRs are good guns for the money (although if you stay with the 44 mag or 45 Colt the SBH Hunter is probably as good or better value).
Freedom Arms are great guns (again for SA fans)but out of the price range of most "average Joe's".
Then there is Ruger.
Most of the Customs are Ruger based.
Rugers are 4wd pickups. SRHs are 1 tons. They may lack sophistication & flash, but they are indeed built "Ford Tough". They get the job done with a little left over.
I guess I'm not a "serious revolver man". My mod 29 has spent the last year in the cabinet unshot since I got my latest SRH in 480 Ruger. Part of that is caliber. Part of it is that I felt I was pushing the longevity of my mod 29 with what I consider to be minimum serious hunting loads (300 or 320gr hardcast at 1320fps) for my part of the world.
I've owned Colt Pythons & Trooppers & played with Anacondas. I've owned & still own multiple S&Ws. I've played with X-frames but didn't care for the "perceived" bulk & handling characteristics(It's amazing how many used X-frames there are in Alaska in excellent condition for $700-800. I've seen them in the $600 range).
My go to hunting revolvers are Rugers. In my opinion (Like armpits, everybody has a couple), there is no better hunting revolver for the dollar.
Of course I also prefer Lee dies so that should tell you something! :-)

I'm just glad we live in a country where we have so many choices!

Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: Vance in AK.] #71522 06/23/2010 4:01 AM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
Vance,

I believe that I included Ruger in the list for the "serious revolver man." I also drive a Ford pickup. I agree completely that the Ruger platform is the one that is most used for customs. It is a good basic starting point. It is a very stong revolver. I also understand that Ruger (nor anyone) could produce a much finer finished product and hold the line of the price. It cost $$$$ to get the finer details. I have owned many Ruger rifles and revolvers. I understand them. They are definitely worth every penny that they cost. But everyone must admit that the Ruger revolvers are on the lower end of the price list compared to the alternatives. One usually gets what he pays for.

I also do not care at all for the X frame S&W. My passion is the M57 and older 657s. They are sooooo slick.

The Python & Anaconda are in a class of their own with respect to Colts. They, along with the Trooper, are the only ones that interest me. These are the ones that I tried to refer to in my original post.

However, I agree completely that the Smiths & Colts (including my pet 657) will not tolerate a steady dose of the loads that the Ruger Blackhawk, Redhawk or FA digest easily. Even so, the old Smith is a very dependable & pleasant one to have around. It has done its share of bringing in the game.

I am a FA fan. I have acquired (over a period of many years) a silly number of them. I admit upfront that they will spoil you. At least they have spoiled me. The difference between an out-of-the-box Ruger & an FA is about like the difference between riding down the highway in a Lincoln towncar & riding in my Ford 4 wheel drive PU. Both will do the same job, but the "feel" is different.

Before anyone leaps to the conclusion that I am just a snob, let me explain that my father had only one "big rifle" -- a M 94 Winchester 30-30. He did not know that he needed any other. He did not. The trigger was not good, but he knew it. He made shots with it that few will believe. Any gun is only as good as the one behind it. If you know yours & you can shoot it, it is all that you need.

Again, I did not mean to offend anyone. However, I consider an out-of-the-box Ruger as a good starting point for most who want to be a serious handgun hunter. I have recommended Ruger revolvers to friends & family members who were getting into handgun hunting. Many will not go beyond that. Nothing wrong with that decision. The old Ruger will do what it does for a very long time. They are dependable firearms.

Last edited by wtroper; 06/23/2010 4:12 AM.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: JumpinJack] #71525 06/23/2010 4:37 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

OK, getting back to your original post, Jumpin Jack,

From what I have seen and read T/Cs seem more accurate at longer ranges but was out with a buddy yesterday with his S&W 44 mag with 6.5" barrel and red dot and was grouping 5 shots 1.5" at 25yds and about 2-2.5" at 50yds with rest and 6" group at 50yds off-hand.

What is your main concern: short range accuracy or long range accuracy? Or "PACKIN" ABILITY? Or firepower?

IN GENERAL: Single shots are superior at longer ranges, period.
And usually easier to scope. Revolvers offer several shots available without reloading. And are generally faster to get into action and easier to pack.

I don't believe I am offering any ground breaking advice, just trying to help you determine what your real needs/wants are.
Hope this helps clear up the muddy waters a bit more.

\:\)

To pick one over the other is pretty difficult unless you narrow your priorities.

Or be like most of us: to H--- with priorities, get both!

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: Gregg Richter] #71529 06/23/2010 5:39 AM
JumpinJack Offline OP
OP Offline
I pretty much think I am going to have to get both eventually. As far as what I need/want now I have rifle calibers capable of everything in North America. More than likely I will end up with the revolver first since I am planning on hunting hogs in Sep Oct and won't get another chance at deer with a firearm until next year as I didn't get drawn and won't be in Alabama for firearm season. But if I can get the wife's business going again soon maybe I could have both by Christmas and fall inline just in time for winter coyotes with a T/C in .223. Time will tell. Anyone looking for a .243 Browning BAR Safari Grade with Scope LOL.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: JumpinJack] #71544 06/23/2010 4:57 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Wtroper, no offence taken. My preference is DA guns & that really narrows the playing field in the heavier calibers.

JumpinJack, the Contenders are a blast for coyotes & prariedogs/rockchucks! I have very fond memories of spending afternoons laying in one pile of lava rock & shooting cross canyon into another pile/outcroping at rockchucks with a 14" Contender in 30-30AI & another in 7-30 Waters (25+yrs ago) when I lived in south central Oregon.

Today living in Alaska most of my hunting is done in areas where the ranges are usually closer to what they will be for you in the south. It's fairly brushy here (some areas are REAL thick with alders) in my part of the state so many shots for moose & bear will present themselves at under 100 yds. Also blackbear are the lower end of the scale size wise here so I consider (for me) 44 mag to be the low end of what I want to carry for hunting purposes (that said I do carry a 4.5" BH in 41mag for backpacking. It will probably be replaced by a like gun in 45 Colt I just picked up.). I've gone to the 480 & love it so far.
So for me this is revolver country. If I was back in Oregon or Montana hunting mule deer...?

Vance in AK.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: Vance in AK.] #71553 06/23/2010 8:17 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Theres nothing wrong with the top $$$$ guns but I chose to buy Rugers because of the strength because I'm a reloader and like to have my loads at max.I have a contender and encore and those are for long range hunting but I live in Illinois so most of my hunting is short range so my Rugers usually get the vote.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: johnwilliams] #71561 06/23/2010 9:08 PM
JumpinJack Offline OP
OP Offline
Been researching the revolvers and have narrowed it down to a Ruger SBH or SRH or S&W 629. I have heard that most S&W come out of the box with a pretty sweet trigger pull but most Rugers require adjustment for a hunting set up. Don't know how true this is just what I have been told. On most of my guns I have just been content with the factory trigger. However, now I am getting to the point where I want my hunting weapons tailored to me and what I like. I am also planning to reload for all of my calibers because it is more fun and more satisfying.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: JumpinJack] #71564 06/23/2010 11:20 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Been researching the revolvers and have narrowed it down to a Ruger SBH or SRH or S&W 629.

1st thing you have to settle on is single or double action.
If you choose single action you then have to decide if you want the Hunter or standars model (My choice would be hunter) & regular or Bisley grip frame.
Double action, a big part of it comes down to whether you awnt to shoot a lot of heavy loads or want to scope it. Haevy loads faver the SRH as does scope (comes with rings that fit the gun on built in bases without modification. Another + for the SRH for me because I like a red dot on hunting revolvers. Weigand makes a great base for the S&W). Feel in the hand is also huge & subjective between the SRH & S&W. I also like the feel of the Hogue Tamer grips on the SRH & Hogue sstandard grips on the S&W. The old S&Ws had really slick actions, not sure about the new ones.
The SRH is built in a modular format so takedown is extremely easy. A 10 minute spring change usually makes the single action trigger pull "OK" though maybe not as good as a S&W (Was enough on my newest one). Double action is a fairly moot point in my eyes because I generally use the gun SA (99% of the time).
Again, S&W has the feel of a Cadilac & the SRH has the feel of an F-250 (with big tires :)).
I'm just a redneck truck kinda guy

Vance in AK.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: Vance in AK.] #71574 06/24/2010 2:59 AM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
Vance nailed it. you really need to try both before you buy. They are very different BH, Bisley, SBH, SRH & 629. Most of us that have a variety of handguns will be more than willing to let you shoot them

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: wtroper] #71586 06/24/2010 10:33 AM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
I was in your shoes once before. I ended up getting a S&W 629 PC for a good deal. It is a pussycat with no kick at all. Just a big flaming bark!

I would still jump on a SBH if the right one came around.

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: Jeremy] #71589 06/24/2010 12:33 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Ruger’s are tanks and yes they have a few problems…

I have a friend that bought a brand new SBHH in 44 Mag. The first thing he did was take it to his gun smith and put 250-300 in it. No more problems. No wonder that the gun will clover leaf and 50 yards… Just a though…

Duane

Rod... ? for you:

New base pin and springs, work on forcing cone and cylinder, free spin paw, Bowen back sight, and ?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: TCTex.] #71595 06/24/2010 1:31 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Ruger’s are tanks and yes they have a few problems…

I have yet to encounter a problem with any of my Rugers. I don't feel a Ruger Bisley is a tank, the SRH is a big gun but it is no larger than a S&W X-Frame. Any gun may benefit from some trigger work, but a $15 spring pack will do wonders and you can DIY. I won't argue that a Ruger is as polished as a FA or S&W, but I don't think either of those is 2x to 3x better as their cost would indicate. JMHO.

Rod, too.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: JumpinJack] #71599 06/24/2010 3:55 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Here's a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter that shoot's purdy good....
;\)

The only thing I did to this one was....took it out of the box.

I'm not suggesting that all are like this, but.....

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: KRal] #71614 06/25/2010 2:22 PM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
The reason I like the Super Red Hawk must be the Hillbilly Red Neck thing. Looking in front of the house I see 3 each 3/4 Ton 4 wheel drive dodge pickups,2 of them with flat beds, a Jeep, and a 4 wheel drive Bombardeer Traxtermax 4 wheeler.

I have owned several Model 29's and 629's over the years. The action was super on the first Blued 29 I bought in the mid 70's. After that I have had mixed results. I traded for a Nickel 29 that was not very impressive at all. Most of my 629's were ok. I find recoil is severe with hunting loads. Just my opinion, I would skip a 44 Smith as a hunting handgun for heavy loads.

I have owned several Single Actions. I like them ok. I also find recoil gets more severe with them as the powerlevel goes up.
I would get a Hunter Model if I were to get a single action in a 44 or 45.

The Super Red Hawk is my first choice. With Tamer grips you can turn up the juice to about any level and recoil is tolerable. The scope base being machined in is a big plus. Trigger pull is no problem. If it needs lowered a $15 spring pak will probably fix it. The gun will take heavy loads without shooting loose. The loads I am shooting in my 44 SRH would be very hard on a 29 in short order. I really like the 480, but as I have said before it is a reloaders caliber. Ammo is Nuts high, probably one of the main things that hurt it's sales popularity.

Lotsa of good choices. I would get some hunting loads together and shoot a SBH, SRH and a Smith and see what you like.

See You At The Range
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: H2OBUG] #71623 06/25/2010 5:11 PM
flingwinger Offline
Taurus does not use the precision in manufacture as does Ruger, S&W or Freedom. Case in point 454 Casull, the Taurus cylinder is .001+ larger than the affore mentioned and causes cases to expand and stick upon firing. A real pain in the rear to clear the cylinder. I have a Ruger SRH in 454 and love it. It's performance dwarfs the 44 mag and so does the recoil. Using Double Taps 400 gr. hardcast at 1400 fps there's nothing on the planet it won't bring down. The recoil is more than 50 foot pounds compared to the 44 mags 20 foot pounds. However, there's tamer ammo out there that will more than handle deer and hogs making this my favorite big bore. No matter what you choose, be proficient and remember bullet placement is what it's all about and have fun while you do it!

Semper Fi (K9XXY).
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: flingwinger] #71629 06/25/2010 6:35 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: flingwinger
No matter what you choose, be proficient and remember bullet placement is what it's all about and have fun while you do it!

Welcome to the forum flingwinger, & great 1st post!

Vance in AK.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: Vance in AK.] #71633 06/25/2010 8:03 PM
JumpinJack Offline OP
OP Offline
Well guys think I have it narrowed down. Went to the gun store today and handled all of them SBH was not comfortable in my hand even though this is the best looking of them (but I am a form and function over looks kinda guy). The S&W felt pretty good but then I held the SRH and even with stock grips felt great. Was certainly the heaviest feeling of the 3 but that will also keep the recoil down some. Now just have to get my .243 Safari sold and then keep looking for a SRH til I find the one I want. Also for a scope which do you guys prefer. I am usually a Leupold guy but am not against any other manufacturer as long as it will withstand the recoil.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: JumpinJack] #71644 06/26/2010 12:02 AM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Mine has a 30mm UltraDot 4 on it. My personal opinion is that for anything I hunt out to the reasonable range f my 480 SRH the red dot is the way to go. Accurate enough for hunting but also fast & rugged. The UltraDot 4 has 4 available dot sizes at the turn of a dial. 4,8,12, & 16 MOA. I generally use the 4 or 8 MOA. Have only used the 12 or 16 when approaching my black bear bait station in thick brush. It gets a bit interesting sometimes whan there is a brown bear on the bait, & I want a BIG dot I can't miss seeing!.

One thing you will find with optics on here (Just like all other subjects) is that a lot of it is personal opinion & circumstances.
The red dot is right for me for the same reasons my 475 SRH is. Ranges are relatively short, enviroment is rugged, shots are often quick, some of the critters can bite back.
If I still had great eye sight (I don't,50 & bifocals) I might still use iron sights!

Vance in AK.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: Vance in AK.] #71658 06/26/2010 2:56 AM
JumpinJack Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the info. I used my buddy's red dot and it wasn't bad, but don't know if I would personally be happy with it for hunting, I have been so use to cross hairs and magnification. Although I can certainly see the benefit of having a big red dot for a bear or hog up close especially if its coming at you.

Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: Vance in AK.] #71674 06/26/2010 1:07 PM
flingwinger Offline
Thanks for the response Vance, it's good to be aboard.Psalm 50:15

Semper Fi (K9XXY).
Re: Delima on what would be best for me [Re: flingwinger] #71719 06/27/2010 3:36 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
I am with Vance on an UltraDot. I like the standard version just fine with a 4 MOA Dot. Get a 30mm, as you have a bigger field of view. Shoot with both eyes open.
I have handgun scopes on my Contenders. A scope is the right answer most of the time with a single shot. With a revolver, you have pretty much a 100 yard maximun range. The dot will work very well from point blank to 100 yards. It is also quick to pick up in a hurry.

You are probably used to a scope on a rifle. A handgun scope has a much smaller field of view.

See You At The Range

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 101 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod