Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Coyote Attack #72140 07/08/2010 1:01 PM
Tigger Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
Looks like we need to concentrate our hunting on the coyotes a little more here in NY. Rye NY is just east of White Plains, near the Conn border. Seems like a populated area for coyotes, but they are there. I feel bad for the little girls.

Coyote Attack

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: Tigger] #72142 07/08/2010 2:16 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
Too many "city folks" simply do not understand wild animals. The cartoons & other TV images is about all that they know. Many extend to the animals "human-like" status.

Similar incidents will happen again.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: wtroper] #72152 07/08/2010 7:20 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yep!!! They are on the rise here in NC. Where I hunt the land owner thinks a coyote killed a neighbors calf last year. I don't doubt it as I have heard them yipping/ yellping at night in a rather large pack.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: cfish2] #72194 07/10/2010 7:32 AM
Al in OK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Funny thing about coyotes, is that they didn't exist east of the Mississippi until they started building bridges across it. Now they're flooding the east, and thriving.

Gun Control - A theory; A belief that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them they cannot own a gun.
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: Al in OK] #72204 07/10/2010 6:28 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
NC is home to the red wolf. I have spoken to a few wildlife biologists who believe that the redwolf is a cross between a coyote and a wolf. These red wolves look just like a large coyote. If I remeber my wildlife biology courses regarding yotes, they were actually back east a very long time ago!!!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: cfish2] #72228 07/11/2010 1:45 AM
Al in OK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: cfish2
NC is home to the red wolf. I have spoken to a few wildlife biologists who believe that the redwolf is a cross between a coyote and a wolf. These red wolves look just like a large coyote. If I remeber my wildlife biology courses regarding yotes, they were actually back east a very long time ago!!!

How long ago do you think? Just curious. I'd like to read some of that info if you have a good link. I read that it was not until 1800's. Maybe an early cross that outsurvived the standard yote?

Gun Control - A theory; A belief that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them they cannot own a gun.
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: Al in OK] #72230 07/11/2010 1:56 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
we have the red and gray fox as well as the wolff and coyote, we are screwed when you throw in the cougar and black bear. They stopped baiting and hounds for bears and hound for cougars a few years ago and since then the deer and elk numbers have dropped but the bear and cougar numbers have gone through the roof. That's what happens when they turn over wildlife management to the voters instead of the wildlife bioligist and the main weapon they used was a video clip of some idiot that let his dogs kill a bear after a hunter made a poor shot instead of pulling the dogs back and letting the dumb ass finish the job. That goes to show you how one idiot can affect an entire state.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Coyote Attack [Re: Al in OK] #72233 07/11/2010 2:02 AM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
If I remember correctly from the wildlife biologist at the NC ZOO they said coyotes were likely to have come thru Canada moved east and bred with a wolf of some breed and the redwolf was the by product. My recollection of the coyote movement was from 26 years ago in a wildlife biology course I took at Colorado state university. I'm mostly going off what the zoo's biologist was saying. The redwolf apparently was wiped out 150+ years ago.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: Al in OK] #72234 07/11/2010 2:06 AM
Al in OK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
http://texnat.tamu.edu/symposia/coyote/p14.htm

just googled this. I know the reds almost went extinct, but this is some interesting yote info. I never thought much about the red being a mix between.

Re: Coyote Attack [Re: Al in OK] #72241 07/11/2010 6:50 AM
runngun Offline
c'mon guys this is the handgun hunting forum. How does this belong? Moderators...?????

Re: Coyote Attack [Re: runngun] #72250 07/11/2010 2:07 PM
Tigger Offline OP
Distinguished Expert
OP Offline
Distinguished Expert
I kind of think if fits here as it's not a political topic and it sure isn't a shooter bench topic. Wildlife and hunting the different species is interesting.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: Tigger] #72265 07/11/2010 6:03 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yep, I want a 204 ruger in an encore to start taking the yotes here in eastern NC. I miss Colorado and hunting them there and wyo. Use to hunt a lot in N. Park Co. for them and its neat seeing them back here in NC now. Anyone have a 204 ruger in the encore???

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: Tigger] #72266 07/11/2010 6:20 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

I did for awhile, used it on several coyotes, but sold the barrel and went back to my .223 Contender; in my experience I like the .223 better.

Re: Coyote Attack [Re: Gregg Richter] #72278 07/11/2010 10:43 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thanks Gregg. Just curious, what was your reason for going back? Was the barrel showing signs of wear early?? Or accuracy?? I have been going back and forth between the two calibers.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: cfish2] #72282 07/11/2010 11:56 PM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Craig, This is it in a nutshell:

http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1837&ppuser=872

I know that there are a lot of coyote hunters that may disagree with me, but they are probably better callers than me and shoot them closer, or better shots. Simply stated, the .223 has more horsepower; I am talking about a 55 grain bullet vs. a 40 grain bullet at terminal impact, not paper ballistics.

Fifteen grains of bullet weight may not seem like much, but it is over 33% of the 40 grain bullet's weight. It really really bothers me when I lose a hit coyote, and I repeat myself: coyotes are tough and they don't give you a lot of breaks.

I shot several coyotes with my .204's; I had the Encore and a Kimber Rifle; but lost a few that I did not feel I should have.
And made several other lethal hits where the coyote did not go down as fast as I thought it should have.

When I get really really serious and hunt coyote (furs) for the money, or for control (for rancher friends) I grab my 22-250.

The .204 Ruger is EXCELLENT for foxes and smaller varmints, IMO.

Hope this helps, I know I am not the last word; just sharing my real personal experience. I am a very serious coyote hunter.

Re: Coyote Attack [Re: Gregg Richter] #72289 07/12/2010 1:53 AM
shortrange Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter

When I get really really serious and hunt coyote (furs) for the money, or for control (for rancher friends) I grab my 22-250.

I am a very serious coyote hunter.

From what reasds here, you a re a very serious hunter on all counts.

Re: Coyote Attack [Re: shortrange] #72293 07/12/2010 2:59 AM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Gregg, thanks for the info. My concern was the 40 gr bullet. I guess you solved my dilema for me. I guess its also cheaper to load as well.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: cfish2] #72297 07/12/2010 6:34 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
A few months ago I aquired a new to me coyote killer in the form of Ruger Varmint M77 MKII with the bull barrel and heavy laminated stock that had been free floated and an excellent trigger job. I also got a second rough cut laminated thumbhole stock but wood work isn't my thing. I know it's not a short barrel but my handgunning days are dwindling. I have a shaking problem that keeps getting worse and the test for parkinsons was negative so they arent really sure what the cause is unless it's from the various injuries and treatments I've been through. I'll keep building and shooting big bore revolvers but I'm getting to a point where I may have to make an ethical decision but that's the cool thing about being proficient in many types weapons rather than limiting yourself to one type. I'm even out shooting my Brackenbury recurve again which is wild since up until my shoulder and wrist suregeries I couldn't pull the 81#'s anymore but all of a sudden I'm shooting better than ever with it. You can hunt more seasons and if like me you end up with a physical limitation you pick up another type of weapon and keep hunting. I figure once I get this thing ironed out it should be very hard on the coyote population around here.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Coyote Attack [Re: runngun] #72304 07/12/2010 1:06 PM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
because you can call em in and bag em with a handgun. or use one of those contender/encore type things. HA HA

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: bluecow] #72340 07/13/2010 3:48 AM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Wapitirod, is the shaking in bothe hands? If not, have you tried traing yourself to use the other hand? With red dot type sights you don't need to worry about the eye dominance issue as you can use both eyes open. Just a thought. I hate to here of anyone not being able to do the things they love because of injuries. I'm always looking for ways to get around issues like that for folks.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: runngun] #72353 07/13/2010 8:19 PM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: runngun
c'mon guys this is the handgun hunting forum. How does this belong? Moderators...?????

Is this guy for real or is it a troll. Sorry not around a long time so I don't know you but this is the same response you put in other threads. If you don't like it, don't read it and move along.

Coyotes are a problem in several areas that I hunt and always look forward to taking a few out when I have a chance. The last ones I got were when I was hog hunting last Fall.......Good practice
\:\)

Last edited by GlennS; 07/13/2010 8:19 PM.

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: Coyote Attack [Re: GlennS] #72373 07/14/2010 3:26 AM
bothbarrels Offline
Coyotes do have a very amzing way of surviving despite man's best efforts at getting rid or at lest controlling them

Originally Posted By: GlennS
 Originally Posted By: runngun

Is this guy for real or is it a troll. Sorry not around a long time so I don't know you but this is the same response you put in other threads. If you don't like it, don't read it and move along.

Glenns: I think runngun had a very legitimate Q about this headline: 2nd N.Y. coyote attack: Girl, 3, bitten in backyard

And yes it did evolve into a good discussion or thread as you call it but it was very legitimate, IMO. Not a troll incident as you accuse.

Re: Coyote Attack [Re: bothbarrels] #72461 07/17/2010 8:36 AM
Al in OK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Well this is a handgun forum, but why not shoot yotes with a pistol? Who says we're not? and OBVIOUSLY, there are people interested in the thread, and in the need for more yote hunting. IMO, it's a legitamate post.

Re: Coyote Attack [Re: Al in OK] #72493 07/18/2010 5:35 AM
bothbarrels Offline
 Originally Posted By: deep thought
Well this is a handgun forum, but why not shoot yotes with a pistol? Who says we're not? .

?????? well duh....

Try and get in tune with the format!!!!!

Re: Coyote Attack [Re: bothbarrels] #72849 07/30/2010 2:29 AM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
Whatever.. mebbe that was the only two cents he had in his pocket at the time.... and maybe the education he got if he checked back to see if we took his lead will encourage him to participate in a more positive, less confrontational manner in the future, especially when he realizes that we are such a nice bunch.... like dale says, we got lots of coyotes, and they are a ball to hunt. Just when you think you have the angle on 'em, you won't get within a country mile of them. there's a spot in the Genesee valley where we hunted them by putting a tracker on them and then others sat in the truck and spotted ahead with binoculars and talked to the tracker via two way radios.. the trackers couldn't begin to catch them, but the folks in the trucks would watch the yotes progress and drop off a fresh tracker where the yote crossed a roadway and pick up the foot weary trackers. We covered a lot of miles and got lots of excersize, but we didn't shoot many yotes. I likes the 55 gr nosler in my 243, the 223 worked fine, 221 fireball and the K-hornet were a little on the light side. Didn't seem to matterwhich I was carrying, the yotes would always seem to be just out of range.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 36 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod