Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? #5723 12/13/2004 7:02 PM
WNY_Whitetailer Offline OP
OP Offline
OK fellas, now that whitetail season is almost over I have begun thinking about a 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting after the new year. There are three that I am currently researching...Here is the list:

Smith & Wesson Model 22A with a 5.5" or 7" barrel
Ruger Mark III with a 5.5" barrel
Browning Buckmark with a 5.5" barrel

Anybody have any experience with these pistols? Good or bad it doesn't matter. Anything you can let on will help me to make up my mind or at least widdle the list down. I am going to mount a red dot site on the thing to take out those tree rats. Let me know...Thanks

Patience comes with age and you can't teach common sense
Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #5724 12/13/2004 8:15 PM
Dan B. Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Other than having spent a few hours on the range each with a Ruger Mark II (5.5" bull barrel) and a Browning Buckmark Camper my semi auto .22LR experience is limited. I did find that I liked the Camper much better than the Mark II for faster follow up shots. They are both great looking guns but the weight of the Ruger slide would pull me back off target when cycling. The Camper barely moved the sights from target.

That's all I can offer.......

Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: Dan B.] #5725 12/13/2004 8:23 PM
LDHunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Other than the fact that it takes a graduate degree and 10 years experience in gunsmithing and a lot of luck and patience and fortitude and reluctance to throw the thing in the trash every time you need to clean it the Ruger is fine.

If that doesn't sound like you then the Buckmark will do everything as well or better and even I (gun klutz extraordinaire) can easily disassemble and clean it in a jiffy.

I've never shot the Smith but there aren't many of them around... Does that tell you anything?

$bob$

Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #5726 12/13/2004 8:30 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i like the 22/45 ruger 5 1/2" bull barrel real well, but use a hogue rubber grip sleeve to improve the feel of the plastic grip.
i had a 7 1/2" competition target model that was wonderful, BUT heavier.
the 22/45 now comes with a 7 1/2" slabside barrel. that would probably be my choice to buy now.
seen a ruger 22 auto yesterday that was marked "hunter". beautiful gun with a 7 1/2" FLUTED barrel

i'm behind on new introductions. i reckon i need to visit the ruger website.

........as far as cleaning, i just use something like a spray carburetor cleaner to wash the action out, and then follow with wd-40. i just don't even wanna take em apart.

Last edited by KYODE; 12/13/2004 8:32 PM.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #5727 12/14/2004 1:21 AM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I have 2 MKII's. A 6 7/8" slabsided competition and the 10" bull barrel. I like them both. I have taken both of them apart for cleaning. I have even taken apart stuff the book did not say to. It's not an easy task and I can see where the MKII could be very frustrating during reassembly. I like to tinker and didn't mind it. I shoot the 10" alot, I have over 15,000 rounds down the barrel. It ballence very well and is super accurate. The only trouble I've had is with ammo that has a step on the bullet, like the Winchester Xpert. The step will hang up on the feed ramp. I use the CCI hollow point Mini Mags on red squirrels, sure does a job on those varmints. As for the MKIII, I still have not been able to locate one. The Buffalo Gun Center, Grices, or any of the local shops don't have them yet. Might be a while waiting on the MKIII. I have seen some really good deals on used MKII's. When the MKIII is available I want one in Mach 2.

I have no experience with the Smiths. I have a buddy with a Buckmarkand it seems to be a good gun.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #5728 12/14/2004 2:48 AM
magman Offline
old hand
old hand
I have 2 Ruger 22/45s. I like them both. The Browning Buckmark is ok looking. Don't think I would own one though. Have a Buckmark rifle that is ok, but ugly. I'm chumping at the bit waiting for the arrival of the Ruger MKIII 678 that is very nice looking. The S&W auto pistol are very nice and have some of the same design features as the Model 41. I think I would own the Smith over the Browning. Another nice thing about the Rugers is they can be customized to the hilt. As far as cleaning, I find it relatively easy to disassemble and reassemble the pistol. But like Tigger says most of the time I spray the gun with cleaning and lubricated the best I can. Probably once every 5-600 rounds I take the gu apart for a more thorough cleaning. Good luck in your quest.

PS Don't overlook the fine 22 revolvers from S&W and Ruger, they are very nice.

NRA LIFE MEMBER NAHC LIFE MEMBER
Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #5729 12/14/2004 2:22 PM
RadioTech Offline
stranger
stranger
www.markii.org

You can get a lot of information here.
I vote for the 22/45 Ruger with a 5 1/2" bull barrel. Great balance and accurate. I've heard that the Mark III has problems with the loaded chamber indicator setting off a round if it gets dirty. Evidently it sticks in its tunnel and hits the rim instead of backing out to indicate a round in the chamber.
I have the Mark II and it is super. It came drilled and tapped for a scope mount and came with a low weaver style scope rail and screws.

Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: RadioTech] #5730 12/15/2004 10:59 PM
deadeye Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
my vote would be for the buckmark,i work as a gunsmith-the cast frame of the smith keeps cracking,s&w fixes takes 8weeks.the ruger is a pain to clean(even for a gunsmith)
THE KEY TO THE RIGHT GUN IS THE ONE THAT FEELS THE MOST NATURAL IN YOUR HAND...

Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #5731 12/16/2004 6:44 PM
Chief RID Offline
Never miss a chance to show off Squirrel Poison.

Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: Chief RID] #5732 12/17/2004 10:10 PM
OP Offline
I actually went to the Buffalo Gun Center and put the three guns in question in my hand. Of the three the Buckmark felt the best. The Smith felt cheap and the Ruger didn't seem to fit right in my hand. The Browning felt like it belonged there. I think I have made up my mind but that pic of the single action ruger has me rethinking my choice. Maybe a revolver would be another viable option. A more expensive one mind you but viable none the less. Kinda looks like a little brother to my Super Blackhawk Hunter

Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #5733 12/17/2004 10:35 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
actually you could have a "lil brother" to it. they make a single six hunter......and even a 17mhr/17mach2 convertible.

......and have ya seen the "mkIII hunter"? 6 7/8" FLUTED barrel.....sharp!

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: KYODE] #5734 12/17/2004 11:07 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hey Whitetailer, how's that BSA sight holding up to the recoil? Have you been shooting many heavy loads(like 300 gr stuff?)?

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #5735 12/18/2004 8:58 AM
Chief RID Offline
That is the Weigland base and a cheep BSA 2X on the Single Six. It would be a cheap way to get the feel of your SBHH at .22 ammo prices and recoil. It really is the obvious choice for you unless you just want an auto. I picked this one up used for about the price of a new MV. In fact I traded one for it so I could use it to learn to shoot my SBH.

Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #5736 12/18/2004 3:20 PM
Rick Offline
addict
addict
Ruger does have the 17HMR listed in their catalog in the Hunter configuration. That should make a dandy squirrel pistol. Possibly better than a 22. Just my opinion.

Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #5737 12/19/2004 5:05 AM
billkoh Offline
stranger
stranger
I tested the Smith, Ruger , Browning, and Sig Trailside when I shopped for my last gun. I went with the Ruger, heavy taper target model for the cost, sight radius and accuracy. The smith I shot had tight groups that moved. Browning makes a nice gun, but I couldn't find a good deal on one. The Sig is a REALLY nice gun, even without adjustible sights. I points well and shoots great. Nice trigger. Don't let the disassembly discourage you from a Ruger. They are the best gun for the money, in my opinion. But make sure you break them in right.

Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: billkoh] #5738 12/20/2004 2:29 PM
OP Offline
Vance...So far so good...I have not been tossing 300 grain loads through it. All of the loads I have now are 240 grain. We'll see if this BSA Red Dot holds up to the abuse. I wouldn't buy a BSA 2x scope for a 44 but I thought that I would give the Red Dot a try.

Kyode...I did see the 22lr Single Six Hunter. I thought it was really sharp. Don't know if I want to drop $500 on a 22lr at this time. I do like the looks though. Not sure if a single action is what I want to hunt squirrels with though. I think I might still want a semi-auto pistol. Although the Single Six Hunter does come with two cylinders so you can shoot both 22lr and 22win mag rounds. Could be a possibility. Looks sharp doesn't it.

Last edited by WNY_Whitetailer; 12/20/2004 2:43 PM.
Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: KYODE] #5739 12/20/2004 5:00 PM
OP Offline
Tell you what...That MKIII Hunter is a sharp looking gun too. I'm becoming more and more undecided with every post. I may have to bump up my 22lr budget. The Ruger Single Six Hunter in 17HMR/17HM2 looks good too...Ughh...I'm just so confused.

Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #5740 12/20/2004 6:13 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thanks Whitetailer.
Keep me posted on that BSA. I'd like to find an inexpensive red dot that will hold up to the recoil. I'm thinking of sticking one on a Winchister Trapper .44 mag I've got so my daughter can use it for her first moose hunting rifle next year(she'll be 12). I figure get her started on that, & then move to handgun hunting.
As far as the sruirell gun goes, the .17s & such sound like fun, but for squirells they are the answer to an un needed question. The .22 lr just does it all, & does it cheaper. In my opinion, there's no need to look elsewhere.
As far as the gun, that single six Hunter really looks good to me. My wife has an old single six & I love it. I have a Ruger MK. II & it's a great gun too. Those would be my two to pick from. If I had to pick right this moment, the SS Hunter would probably get the nod, mostly because I could remove & replace the scope quickly & easily as situations warranted to use iron sights or optical.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting? [Re: WNY_Whitetailer] #5741 12/23/2004 4:40 PM
ARhunter Offline
stranger
stranger
I had a 10inch bull Buckmark, it was the best .22 I have ever owned (including rifles). I have a Ruger that a freind gave to me, I hate the grip, and it gums up quicker than the Browning did. I'm personally getting another Buckmark.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod