Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SBH Hunter mounts #72985 08/02/2010 7:52 PM
Al in OK Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

Gun Control - A theory; A belief that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them they cannot own a gun.
Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: Al in OK] #72992 08/02/2010 11:45 PM
Mike S Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The Weigand's Where Recomended to me on Specialty Pistol Forums.
I havent Tried them "Yet" !

Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: Mike S] #72995 08/03/2010 1:34 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I just use the standard Ruger rings on my SRH 44. I am shooting 300gr XTP's at max velocity and the gun is shooting sub 1.5 groups at 100. For me, I think you are fixing a problem that doesn't need to be sold. It is adding an extra point that on the mount.

For a standard SBH, I would most definitely say YES!!

My SRH

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: TCTex.] #73001 08/03/2010 4:14 AM
Al in OK Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
TC, It's only as an easier way for mounting a reflex sight. Not for a scope. I am trying to decide whether to go with a sight or scope. The concern is about early morn, late evening low light situations.

Gun Control - A theory; A belief that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them they cannot own a gun.
Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: Al in OK] #73003 08/03/2010 4:31 AM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: Al in OK
TC, It's only as an easier way for mounting a reflex sight. Not for a scope. I am trying to decide whether to go with a sight or scope. The concern is about early morn, late evening low light situations.

How about a 2X scope?

Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: Al in OK] #73004 08/03/2010 6:12 AM
runngun Offline
 Originally Posted By: Al in OK

There is so much hype and marketing created "concern" about "early morn, late evening low light" situations that I got to laugh!

How many of you out there have FOR REAL missed a shot opportunity due to this over-played marketing ploy in real hunting conditions?

ha ha ha ha

maybe a few but not as much as the marketers claim. Especially if you hunt according to the LEGAL hours of daylight. MHO

\:D

Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: runngun] #73006 08/03/2010 11:21 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I hunt hogs where (four times this year already) it is legal to hunt them at night. For me, low light conditions are a very real concern and red dot sights really help me under these circumstances. So, it is certainly not just marketing hype and a real concern. I have taken deer legally when it was just too dark to use iron sights.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: Whitworth] #73009 08/03/2010 12:14 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
........I have taken deer legally when it was just too dark to use iron sights.

X's 2. If I'm hunting in a thick canopy (as normal around here) I'm usually packing up and leaving 20 minutes before legal hunting time (30 minutes before and 30 minutes after sunset) has ended. It's doesn't matter if I'm using irons or scope.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: KRal] #73012 08/03/2010 12:47 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
It really is true that a scope will shorten hunting time and you need more light with pistol scopes then you need with a rifle.
The Weigand base is a super great base and a life saver with anything that will not fit between Ruger rings. Ruger rings are just too close together for a lot of red dots. I don't trust them for being in line either. I have lapped them and still don't like them.

Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: 430man] #73021 08/03/2010 2:51 PM
Al in OK Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yes, hog, yote, etc. would be the main concern. But I've hunted some of the hollows around here that won't have sufficient light 'til about 8am or so. Even almost too dark for a rifle scope sometimes, and that's leup and nikon. My eyes are not so good for open sight, so looking for a good option. Inexperience with a hunting pistol makes me not really want to shoot past 50y anyway. 100y will definitely have to be with a scope at this point.

Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: Al in OK] #73022 08/03/2010 2:56 PM
Al in OK Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Snyd, if I get a scope it will more than likely be a 2x or at least a variable I can turn down. I would rather a scope if I can just see something thu it in low light. I really need to borrow a good 2x and try it but I don't know anyone who is using a scoped HG.

Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: Al in OK] #73031 08/03/2010 6:03 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A 2x is my preference.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: Russell] #73033 08/03/2010 7:10 PM
Al in OK Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
That's a nice setup. I think I should just quit spinning my wheels and buy a scope. If it's too dark, it just is.

Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: Al in OK] #73036 08/03/2010 8:42 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
About three years back, I was hunting with a 454 and a 2X scope. At first light three Axis bucks were feeding at about 100 yds. I could see them (and the antlers) through my binoculars. I could not see them through my scope (I also could not have seen to shoot with open sights or a dot). Minutes ticked by. I watched through the binoculars, periodically checking the scope. Finally, I could see them through the scope, but not well enough to tell which one was which. Finally, the two smaller ones left. That made the choice easy. However, it was still difficult for me to see (through the scope) exactly how the deer was standing. I simply waited. After a quick check with the binocular to see which end the antlers were on, I dropped him.

I then changed almost all of my revolvers to 4X. I have found that the Leupold 4x loses the light long before my binoculars but the increased magnification is useful. When I cannot see through the scope, I just can't shoot.

I have not found an answer to this dilemma for revolvers.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: wtroper] #73039 08/03/2010 9:52 PM
Al in OK Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'm 'thinkinking' that you've hit the nail on the head. I'm trying solve a problem that doesn't need to be solved. It just needs to be tolerated. Thanks, fellas' -Al

Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: Al in OK] #73069 08/04/2010 1:46 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
Light transmission is basic and the higher power the scope, the less light it will transmit. The highest exit pupil your eye can use is 5mm. A scope that puts out more will me very large and heavy and is made for night use and a max of 7.1mm provides all the light your eye can use in darkness.
All scope makers strive for a 5mm exit but it is usually at the lower power setting unless the scope is very large so as you go from 2X to 4X it gets less.
Now we need to look at the eye relief of a pistol scope. That 5mm exit pupil will not stay that way because the light scatters on it's way to your eye, it is not a laser. You might be only getting 1mm at your eye.
The bottom line is that you need more daylight for a scope.
The next bad thing is you need a rest for a scope because even at 2X you see all the wiggle from your body.
The very best pistol or shotgun scope is 1X and why they don't make them anymore baffles me.
The red dot is as good as it gets.

Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: 430man] #73076 08/04/2010 4:40 PM
Mike S Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have been looking into the Same Issue.
the Weigand looks like the Best Mount.
I want to Use It to PUT A Leopold Delta Point on.

For Faster Acqisition and Low light to Full Sun
The Delta has a Auto On - Off While in use and is Av in
Differant MOA Points, ECT
I Beleive That it Covers All the Points Made Above.
Mike

Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: Mike S] #73078 08/04/2010 5:55 PM
Darrell H Offline
veteran
veteran
Hi Al,

Another option for you to kick around...

I have a couple of Burris Fast Fire II sights and a JPoint sight and I really like the reflex style sights so far. I should point out that I haven't used them for hunting yet; I plan to this year. Anyway, I discovered that Burris makes a Fast-Fire mount for the Super Blackhawk Hunter (mount #410332, lower left hand corner of the following webpage):
Burris Fast Fire II & Mounts

A quick search revealed several retailers that had this mount in stock. One of my Burris Fast Fire II's has survived several hundred rounds through my .44 Mag so far without problems.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
\:\)

Re: SBH Hunter mounts [Re: Darrell H] #73079 08/04/2010 6:36 PM
Al in OK Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thanks guys. All will be considered. -Al

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod