Next Thread
Print Thread
whats your reloading set up #73020 08/03/2010 2:36 PM
tyler.woodard04 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
just wondering what others are using.

Started with a bonanza of my fathers and still have it set up with a hornady bullet puller.

my single stage is a hornady LNL, I really like this press due to speed of changing dies and it seems to be very very accurate (I dont have a run out indicator but my loads for my new custom 7mm WSM are supper accurate)Also have a lee and older RCBS that sit idle

I also bought a hornady LNL progressive for the higher volume stuff like the AR and semi auto pistols (40 and 45 mostly)

priming tools are both lee auto primes, have redding beam scale, br2 measure and tickler but they done see much use after I bought a RCBS Chargemaster combo, that thing works so well as long as you let it check the load after it stops dispensing.

Pacific case trimmer by Hornady. different de-burring tools and primmer pocket tools.

digital calipers with bullet comparator and case comparator adapters

dies from RCBS, Redding (my favorite Bushing set), Hornady and Lee I think

I know this is nothing compared to most of you guys but it gets me by

Tyler

Finger Lakes NY

Handgun Hunting!!!
Interested in 2007
Hooked in 2009
Addicted in 2010
Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: tyler.woodard04] #73023 08/03/2010 3:18 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert

I have a Lyman press that my brother and I used at his house when I didn't have a place to load. Then he upgraded and gave me the press. We bought our house in '01 and I finally got my own space to load. I use a Redding scale and a vibrashine powder trickler, along with a Lyman #55 powder measure.

The powder measure is mounted on a piece of 1" think stainless plate for easy storage and easy empty. I glued a piece of felt to the plate so it will not scratch the table top. The wooden block makes the scale stable and sets the trickler up just right to the pan. I put a large rivet in the face of the oak block for the scale adjuster screw to pivot on and loacte in the same spot each time.

I use the Lee auto prime two, I keep the regular auto prime stored for just in case but have not used it since I got the APII, it's great. I have about every die there is, Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Bair, Redding, CH4D, Hornady, Bonanza and I'm sure I forgot a couple. I use the Sinclair carbide primer pocket reamers. I mounted them in the data bases and C-Clamp them to the table. Put a piece of paper under them for quick clean up.

I use the Lyman hand case trimmer. I need to upgrade to the carbide head as the one that came with it is getting very dull. I mounted it to an oak block and clamp it to the bench on a low rise baking sheet to catch the brass.

I don't have much space as my laoding room is under the stairs and it's 3' by 7', but it works for me and I have built everything to fit and store in a small place.

It's not a lot of space but it works for now. I have a keyed lock set on the door so I can lock it up when I'm not using it.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: Tigger] #73024 08/03/2010 3:37 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict
looks like a good set up. alot cleaner than mine and I have more room. looks like I have a model of what mine should look like. thanks tigger!

Tyler

Finger Lakes NY

Handgun Hunting!!!
Interested in 2007
Hooked in 2009
Addicted in 2010
Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: tyler.woodard04] #73026 08/03/2010 4:41 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Tigg,

That's a great set-up. Makes my ramshackle garage loading arena look like a cluttered garage
\:\)

After getting rid of a RCBS single-stage (stupid, stupid), I purchased a Lyman turret press that makes changing out easy...currently using combination of beam and inexpensive digital scales, but would like to go to a Chargemaster or similar product, but have read differing opinions on reliability/consistency...

What's your take on the electronic scales with dispensing features?

Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: SChunter] #73028 08/03/2010 5:04 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Redding T-7 Turret press, 2 of RCBS automated powder measures, Holland's Brass Monkey, Dillon XL650 press with many kits, a large number of dies, with about ten or more of them being Redding comp dies. Typically buy powder by the 8lb canisters.
Use a Lee Autoprime and RCBS's version of it also. K&M Neck turning tools.
That is the basics anyway.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: Ernie] #73032 08/03/2010 6:08 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
Lee Turret Press, Hornady digital scale. Reloading only .44 Mag right now, but I have 9mm dies on their own turret.

I run my press in single stage mode though. I like to resize/de-prime, inspect and clean off the brass first, then prime all, then bell/fill, then seat, then crimp. Call me old-fashioned, but I like to have a bit better control of the process, particularly since it's been many years since I have reloaded.

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: guitarpicva] #73071 08/04/2010 2:04 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Recently picked up a RCBS electric scale and dispenser and found it to be a much better model then the first ones....

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: jamesfromjersey] #73090 08/05/2010 2:06 AM
aimingpoint Offline
Hornady all the way but do have some rcbs die sets

For the People and By the people
Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: aimingpoint] #73092 08/05/2010 2:20 AM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have a bunch of the high $ stuff but I use the LEE---By far the best for the money--So easy to set -up

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: H2OBUG] #73122 08/07/2010 6:29 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
I currently have 3 reloaders mounted on the bench. A Dillon 550B that I load 38, 40 S&W, and 45acp on. I have an RCBS Rockchucker I have owned since some time in the mid 70's. I have my brothers Lee Cast Iron Classic also mounted, and like it possibly better than the RCBS except my RCBS primer pocket swedger will not work on the lee.
RCBS Scales
RCBS Uniflo powder measure
RCBS Bench Mounted Priming Tool
RCBS Lube O Matic
RCBS Case Prep Center (Would get Hornady today)
Forrester Drill Press Mounted Case Trimmers One dedicated for my 338 Lapua and the second for everything else from 204 up to I believe 45.
My reloading Dies are mostly RCBS with some Dillon and Redding thrown in.
The rest of the stuff I have picked up over the last 40 years would take a while to inventory.

See You At The Range
Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: SChunter] #73180 08/08/2010 1:50 PM
mikefrompa Offline
old hand
old hand
SChunter; I have one of the RCBS Chargemaster combos and it is great! Loading is faster and more accurate. Plunk down the money and get one.

Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: mikefrompa] #73187 08/08/2010 3:35 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Mike,

Thanks for the advice and input - I've been on the fence, but it would make things so much easier!

Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: SChunter] #73218 08/09/2010 11:16 AM
addict
OP Offline
addict
they sure do

Tyler

Finger Lakes NY

Handgun Hunting!!!
Interested in 2007
Hooked in 2009
Addicted in 2010
Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: Bob Roach] #73308 08/12/2010 2:52 PM
huntkng Offline
addict
addict
I have had a RCBS Rockchucker for what seems like 30 years. I'l just bringing a Dillon 550b on line next week. I have a dial caliper and a Work Station by RCBS, oh, and a RCBS Case Trimmer.

Bill in OR

Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: huntkng] #73447 08/16/2010 2:22 AM
RalphP Offline
stranger
stranger
i just went through the same thing you are doing. I spent hours looking online trying to figure out what to do. i used a friends Dillion 500 to load 1,000 of the S&W 40. It worked fine after it was diled in. I found it hard to put in the primers into the tube and if I put one in the wrong way you could feel it when you went to put it in. One pull of the handle got you one round. The loading went quick.

Then I started to look at the prices of what it would take to get set up with what I needed, the wife would blow a gasket. I got the Lee Classic Turret with all the upgrade for less than the Dillion press itself. I am completely happy with it.

Just like was mentioned before, you have better control over each round as they go through the different stages. It is easy to take a case out at any station to check things out. I am 100% Polish so I was a bit concerned about setting it up. I was up and loading in no time. It will not load the massive amount in a hour like the Dillion however 100 rounds can be done with out to much problem. I never really tried to see how many I could do in a hour but do I really want to??? Like John Williams said on the lead vs copper post, "you have to be careful" There are many variables that can come into play. I like my fingers attached to my hand. Now I listen to the ball game, load a few, relax a bit, load a few and have a good time.

Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: RalphP] #73454 08/16/2010 12:54 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
Stated in one word---MESS!

Re: whats your reloading set up [Re: 430man] #73731 08/22/2010 6:47 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
RalhP,I bought a Lee turrit press this last year ,might be pushing 2 years ago,anyway I love it because I can take my time making sure everythings correct and still load a good batch of ammo!(100-300) depending on what I need.I started out with a Lee Challenger press,and still use it for priming(Lee auto-prime 2) or loading smaller batchs,20-50 rounds.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod