Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Substituting jacketed bullets for lead bullets/NOT #73025 08/03/2010 4:04 PM
johnwilliams Offline OP
Shooting Master
OP Offline
Shooting Master
In one of the posts, one shooter substituted a jacketed bullet in place of a lead bullet not realizing this could be dangerous.When I first got into reloading(1984) I read everything I could.The Lyman #46 manual was my first reloading manual and with the info .in it and info. from my friend who owns the local gunshop, this is where I came across the info. concerning substituting jacketed bullets in place of cast/that you should never do this, unless the manual/techs have tested it to be at safe pressures.Anyway the reason for writing this post is that unless a reloader/especially a new reloader/reads their manuals from front to back, that this info. concerning jacketed/lead bullets substitution, can be overlooked and trouble could result from lack of this info.In the new Speer #14 manual,this info. is on page #736-and it says YOU MUST NEVER SUBSTITUTE A JACKETED BULLET WITH DATA DEVELOPED FOR LEAD BULLETS.THE INCREASED FRICTION CAN SPIKE PRESSURES OR STICK A BULLET IN THE BORE!!I am writing this so that/hopefully no one will end up having an accident and evidently some reloaders are not avid readers -meaning ,they don't read the whole manual to gain important info. like this subject/I think the editors of these reloading manuals should give more of a warning through out the manuals rather than just two sentences/like the new speer does.Hopefully this info. will keep new shooters/reloaders safe-johnw.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Substituting jacketed bullets for lead bullets/NOT [Re: johnwilliams] #73034 08/03/2010 7:37 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Just another quick note on substituting bullets. The all copper bullets can be a cause for pressure problems also. I remember reading that JD Jones had trouble with some bullets and advised not to use them in his cartridges that were close to top pressure in the contender platform. The industry seems to be drifting in the all copper direction more thses days. So the best advice is to go with exact data from the bullet manufacturer.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Substituting jacketed bullets for lead bullets/NOT [Re: Tigger] #73050 08/04/2010 1:17 AM
runngun Offline
thanks tigger, learned somethin' agin!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod