Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hearing protection #73380 08/14/2010 4:26 PM
Augustus Offline OP
OP Offline
What do you like to use while hunting with a handgun. When I am guiding hunters, I have time to put my fingers in my ears. When I am hunting with a rifle, I have never noticed the single shot.(though I have probably lost hearing over the years) With a handgun, however, this could be problematic. I am looking for something that won't interfere with a big hat. Thanks.

Pat

NRA Life Member
Re: Hearing protection [Re: Augustus] #73383 08/14/2010 4:51 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I use the foam ear plugs when hunting.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Hearing protection [Re: Augustus] #73384 08/14/2010 5:08 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Pat, I rarely use hearing protection when hunting with a handgun. The exception I made was when I hunted with a .460 XVR as it was ear-bleeding loud.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Hearing protection [Re: Whitworth] #73389 08/14/2010 6:10 PM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
Pat,

Different companies manufacture ear muffs that are amplified; however, they cut off at a certain decibel level. Hence you can hear what is going on; however, your hearing is protected from any loud noise. Also, some of the muffs have a "strap" that fits behind the head as opposed to over the head; therefore, it does not interfere with a large hat. Game ears are also available, "amplified" ear plugs that function the same way as the muffs; however, they do not protect you from the effects of high decibel injury from "bone" transmission. A significant amount of "sound" damage occurs due to the transmission of the sound energy through the bones of the skull. Muffs tend to protect against that injury where plugs do not. Example: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/16403-1.html
The disadvantage I have found, is I don't like the extra "junk" on my head while hunting, and, they tend to make things uncomfortably warm in a warm environment. However, they do prevent hearing loss, something that "never" heals after injury.

Doc

Re: Hearing protection [Re: doc with a glock] #73398 08/14/2010 11:11 PM
Mike S Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am Legaly Deaf Due to Shooting , Farm Machinery, Ect.
I Use the Game EAR MUFFS To Help Cut out Gun Blast and to Hear.
In My Case The Differance is Amazing.
I cant Count the times My EARS Have been Ringing From SHOOTING.
I Picked up a New Bisley Hunter a couple of weeks ago amd Stopped to shoot it on my way Home.
I Forgot muffs or plugs So I ONLY SHOT ONE ROUND and my Ears Rang on and off for a Week.
NO ONE SHOULD EVER SHOT ANY GUN WITH OUT HEARING PROTECTION.
If I had Followed this ADVICE When I was Yunger Maybe I Could
hear my Grandchildren talking to Me , Or that Deer Sneeking Through The Woods While Bow Hunting.
Dont get me Wrong I can Still Hear Somewhat But its AGERVATEING
To ALWAYS BE ASKING WHAT DID YOU SAY? or Having the TV Turned Up
Way To Hi For Every One Else.
Or Not Going Out with Family or Freinds Because I CANT HEAR
The Conversation in a Resteraunt, Or Hate Going to Family Functions.
Sorry For the Ranting But If I Could KEEP SOMEONE Else from Loseing any Hearing Its Worth It.
Mike S

Re: Hearing protection [Re: Mike S] #73399 08/14/2010 11:32 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Mike S
NO ONE SHOULD EVER SHOT ANY GUN WITH OUT HEARING PROTECTION.

Great Advice!

I am like KRal and use foams. I also have a set that is set up like a horse shoe that I can carry on my neck. They can be inserted into the ears very quickly in my experience.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Hearing protection [Re: TCTex.] #73401 08/15/2010 12:16 AM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
Mike S,

What did ya' say. I know exactly how you feel brother!

Doc

Re: Hearing protection [Re: doc with a glock] #73402 08/15/2010 12:37 AM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I use foam plugs (usually the EAR brand,sometimes with string attached, sometimes not) when hunting, inserting them before I anticipate shooting. On the range I use plugs and muffs.

Shooting without hearing protection, if it's available (and it IS available when hunting), is foolish.

Re: Hearing protection [Re: 500WE] #73413 08/15/2010 5:43 AM
ssphunter Offline
I use two different types for hunting depending on the season. In warmer weather I use ear plugs, I use the ones with a string built into them and tye them to my hat and let them hang on my shoulders making them close when I need them. In cold weather I use ear muffs and wear them just on the tips of my ears till I need them and then I just nudge them down. They are only muffs but they cut off enough of the blast that it does not hurt my ears. I shoot a 14" 375JDJ and shooting without some form of protection is no longer an option for me. If I don't wear them it hurts big time.
Mike

Enjoy your family and friends today as they may not be here tomorow.
Re: Hearing protection [Re: ssphunter] #73427 08/15/2010 1:31 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Pat,

I use the Walker Power Muffs when hunting with rifle or pistol (now) - like ssphunter, I'll keep them just over the tips of my ears until I see game approaching, and slide them into position when the time comes to make the shot. They do have hearing amplification, and can be worn completely on if desired the entire time - I still prefer to use my "regular" (diminished) hearing while stalking or on stand early, but switch to the hearing amplification at prime time.

Hearing loss is a cumulative effect, as my wife proved to me recently at an audiology screening. Wear protection.

Re: Hearing protection [Re: ssphunter] #73429 08/15/2010 1:53 PM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
What I have started doing is keeping ear plugs everywhere. I like the PELTOR Tri-Flange Earplugs Part # 97317. They come 3 to a pack and have a rated of 26 Decibels. They are very soft and do not make your ears sore taking them in and out several times during the day. I believe they are around $4.50/3pk from Mid South. I like them the best of any I have tryed so far.

EAR PLUG CARRY CASE: I have been picking up the Orange water proof match holders from Wal-Mart $1.00 each in the camping isle. I have been drilling a small hole in the lid and using either boot laces, or 550 cord to attach them to gun cases etc. Tie a knot on the inside of the lid, and tie the other end to the case, etc. I have also been making them with a loop sticking out of the cap about 3" that can be hung on cigarette lighter plugs, etc. With no lanyard I also keep them in the glove box of my Polars Ranger, a couple sets in my range bag. I have 2 on the dresser for my left pants pocket. The second one is incase the first one got in the washing machine.

I also have Peltor and Caldwell electronic ear muffs. I have over the head and behind the head Peltor. I have the big Caldwell as well as the new low profile ones. The new low profile Caldwell are starting to be the ones I wear most at the range.
The quality on electronics has really came up the last few years, and the price has came down. My wife got be a set of Game Ears years ago when they first came out. You had to be very careful with them of you would get a hi pitch Bing noise from them. I never notice getting any noise off the new electronic muffs.

At the range I wear Plugs part of the time and electronic muffs part of the time. Some times both for noisey guns. I keep plugs everywhere for that unexpected shooting session, running the tractor mowing, etc. Deer Hunting I will probably wear the electronic ones so that I can hear better. Like Mike S. I have a pretty fair hearing loss form running hammer drills years ago.

Something else I have done is work up a light load for my 480 Ruger carry everywhere plinking gun that is light enough it doesn't ring your ears. I still put the plugs in whenever possible, however some times a quick shot at a copperhead or cottonmouth is required where you do not have time to plug them in. I try and not shoot anything that rings my ears these days.

The electronic ear plugs are probably the best choice for hunting, however I have never picked up a set to try.

See You At The Range
Re: Hearing protection [Re: Bob Roach] #73467 08/16/2010 8:36 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I use the foam ones that are connected by a string. I leave them around my neck and their out of the way until I need them. My hearing is shot. To many years shooting,flying jets and as a kid I spent a lot of time on airboats in the everglades without hearing protection. My ears have a loud hissing in them all the time. I made the mistake of shooting my ported Raging Bull 480 and my Contender 45-70 with Muzzel brake on it a few times and paid dearly for it.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Hearing protection [Re: TCTex.] #73504 08/17/2010 6:16 PM
Al in OK Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: TCMan
[quote=Mike S]NO ONE SHOULD EVER SHOT ANY GUN WITH OUT HEARING PROTECTION.

Great Advice!

I know what u mean about that .44! I grabbed mine up one night and stepped out the door to shoot at yotes that were after my chickens. Shot it right next to the house, and nearly went deaf for the next month, all but for the ringing. The percussion slapped me upside the head so hard it felt like a hand.

Gun Control - A theory; A belief that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them they cannot own a gun.
Re: Hearing protection [Re: Bob Roach] #73505 08/17/2010 8:30 PM
mikefrompa Offline
old hand
old hand
I use the disposable ear plugs I get from work.

Re: Hearing protection [Re: mikefrompa] #74253 09/05/2010 12:49 AM
frankt Offline
stranger
stranger
http://www.omarksafety.com/category.cfm/..._Protection.cfm

I like to use ear plugs on a band. They are much lighter and cooler than muffs.
I wear them around my neck or hat and they pop in quickly.In all honesty I have then in on 80% of my shots on deer, as soon as I see or hear a deer I pop them in but there have been times it happened too fast.
You can find them in gun shops and also places that sell chain saws and lawn equipment usually have them.

Last edited by frankt; 09/05/2010 12:50 AM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod