Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help Me Choose #73428 08/15/2010 1:33 PM
tradrick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I'm still searching for a good factory load for my S & W 686 357 mag. 4'' bbl. As stated in previous threads my intentions are to deer hunt with it and keep my shots under 50 yds. As I'm sure everyone knows alot of 357 rds. are still backordered and not avalible. So I have been scouring the internet trying to find what is avalible at this time. I know cutting cost on quality ammo isn't something you want to do. But, in my case it has to be considered if I plan to practice with it on a consistant basis. I plan on getting into reloading but that will be down the road. Here are 4 different rds. I have found online that is avalible. And its about all I have found avalible. Pickings seem to be rather slim. So please crtique these and tell which one you would go with and why. Or if you have personal expeirence with one of them please do tell.

1.)Out of all the reviews I have read this one gets the best marks. Buffalo Bore 158 gr.JHP. 20 rds. per box for $26.49. That's $1.32 per rd. before shipping.

2.)The bullet in this line gets great reviews. But some have said that the rd. itself is not loaded very hot. Making it not sutible for hunting. Hornady Custom 158 gr. XTP. 25 rds. per box for $21.05. $.84 per rd. before shipping.

3.)Remington Green Box 180gr. SJHP. $39.47 50 rds. per box. $.79 per rd. before shipping. This would be the most economical to shoot on a regular basis. As long as SJHP would perform well on deer and accuracy is good.

4.)This one I believe falls into the hard cast bullet category. Which from what I have read is a excellant penatrator but does not expand well or at all. More suited for bigger thick skinned game. But I thought I would include it for your critque. Buffalo Bore 180 gr. LFN Gas Check. I think these may be their Heavy Loads. $25.99 per box for 20 rds. $1.30 per rd.

I know some may think I'm over thinking this. And maybe I am. But I just want the best rd. I can afford. And were I can practice on a regular basis. For me it plays hand in hand with oweing it to the game to make quick humaine kills. Thanks in advance for any help. This is about all I have found online that is avalible for shipment that I would consider atiquate. My local dealers only have personl defense rds. avalible.

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often
Re: Help Me Choose [Re: tradrick] #73431 08/15/2010 2:02 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I wouldn’t bring this up if you weren’t so concerned about the type and price of ammo you used. Personally I think it is awesome! Did you know that you can get set up VERY cheaply with a Lee handloader... just a thought.

Lee handloader 25.00
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=410804

Dies 26.00
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=418312

(Or pick your favorite bullet here. LOL)
180 XTP Bullets 18.00
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=552814

Brass (Nickel) 18.00
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=941123751

Powder 21.00
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=326035

Primers 34.00
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=276481

That is $141.00 for the first 100 and $18.00 for the second 100.

Note that one pound of 2400 powder should load 400+ rounds of 357 Mag.
H110 should load 378 rounds of 357 Mag.
(Those figures are for a 180gr bullet...)

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/php/powder.htm

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Help Me Choose [Re: TCTex.] #73432 08/15/2010 2:21 PM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
TC is right! Get into reloading and have it for the long haul. If you buy 5-6 boxes of ammo you would have spent what you could bought for reloading. It all depends on how much you are going to shoot also. I got a LEE kit and don't even look at the ammo at the store anymore!

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Help Me Choose [Re: Jeremy] #73436 08/15/2010 8:26 PM
tradrick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for all the helpful links. I hadn't considered the hand held press. That would be getting into reloading even cheaper. And can always upgrade latter on down the road. As hard as quality ammo and some componets have been to get I might need to start ordering some stuff now.LOL. I kinda like the idea of the hand held press. It seems more simplified and layed back. Like me. I still wouldn't mind hearing what some might feel is the better rd. out of those posted above. Thanks again for the advice.

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often
Re: Help Me Choose [Re: tradrick] #73442 08/16/2010 12:43 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
A few more options for the off-the-shelf shooter:

http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=39

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Help Me Choose [Re: s4s4u] #73453 08/16/2010 12:50 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
I do not hunt with a .357 and no longer own one. The biggest problem with the caliber is boolit or bullet choice for deer. You NEED penetration with some expansion. Too much quick expansion can lose you deer and not enough will do the same. You need bullet weight with the proper killing effect.
I call the caliber walking a tight rope choosing a bullet.
You really need to talk to a guy with a lot of kills using a .357, not one or two animals. It can and does work but can fail just as fast.
My hunting starts with the .44 mag and goes up with the .475 being the best killing machine I ever used with no meat loss to speak of.
This season I will watch Whitworth shoot deer with .500 revolvers.
Personally, I would buy a larger caliber and a longer barrel for a hunting gun. Blast from the short barrel means you need to hunt with muffs or plugs.
Why invest in loading for the .357 unless to shoot for fun? You still have bullet choice to consider.

Re: Help Me Choose [Re: 430man] #73484 08/17/2010 1:39 AM
tradrick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for the helpful advice. And I agree. My only knowledge of bullet choices and ft.lb. of energy are just what I have read in the past few weeks. And from what I have read, deciding on a good bullet has been challenging. I'm only going with the 357 because its a gun that I already own. It wouldn't have been my first choice either. I do shoot it a resonable amount for fun. Mostly 38 spl. because it is more affordable. I have about 400 or so cases saved up but most are 38's. I've already been eyeballing a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag at the local dealer. But funds won't let that happen this season. So I was going to make do with the 357.

Its my plan to keep my shots under 50yds. I'm pretty disaplined on selecting a good shot oppurtunity and not taking shots outside of my comfort zone. I learned that through many years of bow hunting and archery tournaments. It also taught me to judge yardage pretty good without the use of a range finder. But I still carry one.

I do want to invest in reloading 38's and 357's and other rds. For hunting, recreational shooting and personal protection. The 357 is primarily a nightstand gun. And I carry a model 36-1 38spl. for CC. Reloading is something I've always wanted to do just never got off my hind in and did it. Thanks for the advice. I take everyones knowledge and expierence very seriously.

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often
Re: Help Me Choose [Re: tradrick] #73498 08/17/2010 1:07 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
You CAN make it work so don't worry.
I would caution about thinking energy and velocity, neither has ever killed with a revolver. Think bullet work instead.
I have killed too many deer to repeat here and the best way is to actually see what your bullet does inside an animal. Do a necropsy on every kill and if you lose an animal with a good hit, step back and figure out why.
You want to try for two holes and a good blood trail with a lot of internal damage. Don't worry how far a deer runs as long as you have these things.
Yes, it is work but you can't find stuff in print to help except from a man here with experience using the .357.
Sorry I can't help more.

Re: Help Me Choose [Re: 430man] #73510 08/18/2010 12:06 AM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
The remington 180 h.p. should give you pass throughs on broadside shots and very good penetration on angle shots if its anything like the Federal 180 h.p. I used to shoot,Dick Metcalf has wrote several articles on the 180 h.p. in the .357 magnum.Don't let anyone scare you about using it,the gun is plenty for whitetails,I won't argue the point because its senseless.I have killed a dozen with mine and I am a taxidermist and I take in several big bucks every year shot with the .357 mag.I study my kills and I don't and won't use anything that doesn't work,shot placement/target practice is the key and thats with any caliber,like I've said before I've seen deer lost when hit in the wrong place with a 12 gauge slug and no one argues the killing effectiveness of the 12 gauge slug/when put in the proper place on whitetail.The last 8 whitetail I've killed with the .357 magnum were with the sierra 140 h.p., the first four were with the federal 180h.p. ,and those deer went down just as fast as the ones I've killed with my .454 casull and .44 mag.Bob Milek used to carry a .357 mag. when he was guiding hunters and didn't consider himself undergunned.Just look up the articles in shooting times by Dick Metcalf on the .357 mag,Dick examines the deer shot and gives his reports on using this caliber for deer.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod