Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First Hunt coming up, need advice. #73598 08/20/2010 1:33 PM
dstewart Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone. This October I will be going on my first hunt and would love some advice as to what I may need or expect. This will be at The Wilderness Hunting Lodge In northern Tennessee in the foothills. Other then my 44 Bisley Hunter and 475 FA I know I will need an orange vest and cap and a cooler to bring back some meat if I make a kill. My interest is in a Hog.

How big of a cooler should I look for?

Is a camelbak for water a good idea?

Is any particular clothing better suited than others (obviously, jeans at a minimum)?

Should I pick up a good hunting knife, what type/size would be best suited, is it really necessary?

Im not even sure what I need to ask, any advice would be great.

The good thing, I will be carpooling with Gary Reeder from Reeder Custom Guns out of Flagstaff. I am sure he will offer some great tips and incite but I would like to pick up and have ready any necessity before I make the trip.

Re: First Hunt coming up, need advice. [Re: dstewart] #73600 08/20/2010 1:48 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Welcome to the forum! Your hunt sounds like a lot of fun.

Don't know if you will spend any time stand hunting, but if you do, a Thermacell would be a good investment. Any of the southerners here will tell you that the summer months in the south are filled with flying blood suckers. It'll set you back about $25.00 at Wallmart.

Also keep in mind that the hog's heart is a lot fat=rther forward and low in the chest compared to a deer. I personally like high shoulder shots as they tend to anchor the animal. Some hogs can take an inordinate amount of lead before they succomb (not always the case).

I personally don't like to hunt in jeans as I have trouble movuing in them and I prefer pants with cargo pockets. Some believe in camouflage while others don't. I do as I like to get up close and personal -- what's good for the bow hunter is good for the handgunhunter.

Scent control is important as there is no nose more sensitive than a hog's. Just be aware which way the wind is blowing and try to stay down wind at all times. I have seen plenty of opportunities blow because of a shift in the wind direction.

Get a big cooler, load it with ice and then with pork!

Have a great time, take lots of pictures, and we expect a full report upon your return.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: First Hunt coming up, need advice. [Re: Whitworth] #73601 08/20/2010 2:32 PM
the terminator Offline
journeyman
journeyman
It sounds like you have planned well. I want to talk about you knife, and offer my humble opinion. I have found that anything with over a 4" or so blade is worthless for skinning, or general use. I have hiked and camped with the Scouts as well as hunted, and only found need for a regular sized, 4" or so, drop point blade. If you are going to take something to skin and process the hog with, you will need several knives, but only one to gut the animal at the kill location. At least that is what I would do. You may want to consider a bone saw as well. Good luck, and take a few photos if you can.

Ted
John 3:16
Re: First Hunt coming up, need advice. [Re: the terminator] #73642 08/21/2010 1:26 PM
Hawkeye Offline
old hand
old hand
1- get a thermo cell for the skeeters

2- take a couple of knives. Hogs are tuff to skin. Their hair and hide dull a knife quicker than any other game I have skinned.

3-cool, light clothing. The more pockets you have the more you carry so be aware of that. Most of what we haul into the woods, never gets used.

4-100 or 120 qt cooler with ice will hold most hogs after quartering and boning. I don't shot great big ones, they are not as good to eat. BUT, if you see Hogzilla, shoot him for the head. Have the head cleaned for a white skull w/teeth mount or for setting on the coffee table for a conversation piece.

And last, good luck with your hunt.

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: First Hunt coming up, need advice. [Re: Hawkeye] #73653 08/21/2010 5:30 PM
Cruiser Offline
stranger
stranger
http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthre...=true#Post68605
My dad & I just went to the Wilderness Hunting Lodge is April & had a blast. I filled a 120 quart cooler like this one http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3211295.
Oh & I alway process my own meat but in this case just leave the knifes at home pay the $115(that's with sausage) & let them do everything. I know you will have a great time!

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything,
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Re: First Hunt coming up, need advice. [Re: Cruiser] #73654 08/21/2010 5:40 PM
Cruiser Offline
stranger
stranger
One thing you will need is a sense of humor because them Tennessee boy's are funny as hell.

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything,
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Re: First Hunt coming up, need advice. [Re: Cruiser] #73670 08/21/2010 9:21 PM
dstewart Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Guys, good advice. Ill probably pick up a good knife just to have. This will by my first hunt and I dont think it will be my last. Yea, If I take a hog I was going to have the Lodge process it for me. Thanks for the size recommendation on the cooler. Ill check with who I am car pooling with to make sure he has room for 100-120qt cooler.

Got ya on being over prepared.

I can see taking a small camabak for water and it has a small amount of storage for the like of a snack and a small GPS. I have a FA shoulder holster and a belt holder for 6 extra rounds of 475. Take a knife and maybe some paper towels and some binoculars. I dont like to get loaded down too much.

Is there any reason you would want to want to carry two guns, such as the 44 and the 475 or even a 45acp?

I got the humor part down
;\)

Last edited by dstewart; 08/21/2010 9:23 PM.
Re: First Hunt coming up, need advice. [Re: dstewart] #73705 08/22/2010 12:28 PM
tradrick Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Good luck on your hunt. I've been wanting to go hog hunting for about 15 years now. And just have never done it. Seeing the link you posted to the Wilderness Hunting Lodge gets the wheels a turning again.

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod