Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tracking whitetails with a handgun? #73697 08/22/2010 4:02 AM
bigbore442001 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Here in New England, specifically northern New England, there is a method of hunting whitetails that involves tracking them down. Generally this is used when there is snow cover and in woodlands that are quite extensive. There have been some big names such as the Benoits, Hal Blood, Richard Bernier who wrote on this type of hunting. You can walk a number of miles until you are able to get within range. It is a tough way to hunt but in places like northern Maine or New Hampshire it is one of the better ways to get a buck.

My question is, what would be the best handgun and sight combination for such a hunt?

I figure that the best handgun to use would be a revolver with an electronic optical sight. One that comes to mind is using a Ruger SRH in 480 Ruger with an Aimpoint.

My other question is, has anyone on this board ever successfully hunt whitetails with a handgun using this method? I get the impression that most handgun hunters for deer use some sort of stand whether it be a treestand, ground blind or just sitting in the right place. Don't believe that this is any criticism, most of the deer I have taken were from a treestand of some type. I am just thinking of a different method. Thanks for any replies.

Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: bigbore442001] #73698 08/22/2010 5:30 AM
JumpinJack Offline
While I have never hunted whitetails in the North East or with a handgun yet. I can't imagine it would be that different from the spot and stalk type of hunting for mule deer out west with a bow which I have done and put a lot of miles on my boots. On average a 5-10 mile hike was the daily norm for my last 6 day bow hunt. Also in my opinion if you can stalk up on a whitetail you have accomplished a large feat of skill and knowing your surroundings.

Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: JumpinJack] #73712 08/22/2010 2:27 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Bigbore, A number of years ago I tried hunting deer the way you described above and in the few times I did, I never caught sight of the animal and gave up. Those deer would have walked me into the ground...Good luck, James
PS this took place in Pennsylvania

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: jamesfromjersey] #73720 08/22/2010 5:25 PM
Jeremy Offline
old hand
old hand
Also tried this method. I found it to be near impossible with the snow being so loud. Walking through with a crunchy sound on every step. A good tip for snow hunting, find the food source. I found that when it snows here in VA, Honeysuckle vines are stripped clean.

Smith and Wesson 629 PC Magnum Hunter
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: bigbore442001] #73732 08/22/2010 6:50 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
We do a lot of still, or sneak, hunting here when the conditions are right. Right after a wet snow, or rain when no snow, you can move quietly. Trails are harder to discern without the white stuff but you can be successful. I put a rig together just for that kind of hunting, as well as deer drives. It is a Bisley in 45LC with a reflex sight in a crossdraw holster. It carries so nice you don't even know its there, and is quick from leather to target. I had a tube dot on it at first but was too bulky, this Optima has held up nicely.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: s4s4u] #73754 08/22/2010 11:49 PM
bigbore442001 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
That is a slick set up for your revolver. May I ask did you have the base custom made? I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 356 GNR and thought of having something like that mounted on the gun.

I am pleased with the responses so far. It has given me some impetus to do some serious practice and look into mounting an optic like the Burris Fast Fire on one of my revolvers.

Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: bigbore442001] #73756 08/23/2010 12:29 AM
Bullelk Hunter Offline
veteran
veteran
Start doing your home work dude. The deer will not be standing in the track you're scanning. I use either my my scoped 629 or my 15" Encore in either 308 or 7-08. Dont eliminate accuracy from the equation. You may have to slip a bullet between some trees. This is the only way I hunt central and western Pa. My doe have come much easier---A mature buck is smart. Do it slow, glass and be sure to look at all sides. I've had deer let me walk by and then bolt. To me, it is most rewarding as long as you don't run out of ground. It can be a problem in Pa with private posted ground.

BullElk Hunter (Gerry)HHI #2933
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, whom shall I send and who will go for us? And I said: Here am I, send me!(Is. 6:8)

Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: Bullelk Hunter] #73786 08/23/2010 12:57 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
I hunted Ohio and PA for years with a flintlock and could not wait for snow. I hated a dry year. I tracked down many, many deer in the snow and only failed once when they went into private property and I had to quit.
You soon learn how to do it and where they are going. I developed a lot of tricks. It would take pages to explain but the easiest thing to do is always walk in the tracks you follow because deer will circle and then you will be unsure of which to continue on. I walked past my truck 5 times one season before I got my shot---5 sets of tracks.
If you are after a doe and bust a herd there will be 2 or 3 go off in a different direction, follow those, not the whole herd.
Ohio was easy because of all the hunters. When I got to a clearing, I would get off the tracks a little and stand against a tree for 15 minutes to watch the clearing. The deer would run into another hunter and reverse direction and come right back to me.
I have had good luck here in WV with revolvers.
Nothing more fun then tracking deer. Wear blaze orange, best camo in the world.

Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: bigbore442001] #73789 08/23/2010 1:57 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
May I ask did you have the base custom made?

The base is from Jack Weigand:

http://jackweigand.com/raswms.html

It is an easy DIY dril and tap.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: s4s4u] #74008 08/28/2010 7:16 PM
wvhitman Offline
old hand
old hand
I've developed a system for whitetails over the last 33 years that works great. I carry a sidearm, open sights for shots less than 75 yards, and a scope Contender, Encore, or XP-100 for the long stuff. I wear a backpack thats used as a support for long range shots filled with two superlight pillows. THis system has been used all over the west, Alaska, and Africa. It's light, handy, reliable, and has never failed.
WV Hitman

Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: wvhitman] #74010 08/28/2010 7:27 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Most of my hunting is spot-n-stalk, although I have done some ground and elevated blind hunting where there were not other options because of terrain or land-owner wishes.

I have not hunted by tracking though-Sounds like it is challenging and fun though.
I prefer a traditional scope over a red-dot for my revolvers.
Unlike WV Hitman, I rarely carry both types of handguns at the same time, but choose one or the other. I use a 2x or 4x fixed or a good variable LER scope

My single-shot handguns are outfitted with BR Harris Bi-pods. Depending on terrain I will carry shooting sticks and or the LM bi-pod. With the single-shots I do all I can to shoot prone, even if that means backing up some to get a rock solid rest.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: wvhitman] #74126 09/01/2010 9:58 AM
Apex Predator Offline
Is your scoped specialty handgun limited too much on short range shots? I can't wrap my head around carrying two, when one will work.

"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables"
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: Apex Predator] #74130 09/01/2010 2:00 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Apex,

Personally, I like the option of using open sights on the closer opportunities - the scoped SP's can certainly get it done at closer ranges. But I'll carry 2 so more toys get a chance to get afield.

Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: Apex Predator] #74138 09/01/2010 5:03 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
 Originally Posted By: Apex Predator
Is your scoped specialty handgun limited too much on short range shots? I can't wrap my head around carrying two, when one will work.

My LR SP's work great at short range too

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: Ernie] #74178 09/02/2010 4:03 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Although most of our hunting areas here in eastern NC are very thick, I hunt a buddies farm that they do controlled burns on every three years. The woods are nice and open and shots range from 50-75 yards. My two favorite guns to use stalking these woods are my iron sight RSBH 44mag or my RSBH 357. My only scoped gun I use hunting this method is my Taurus raging bull 480 with a bushenell holosight. This gun is accurate out to 100 yards. The holosight allows for a very quick, both eyes open shot!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: cfish2] #74528 09/11/2010 6:34 PM
BriggsRi Offline
stranger
stranger
The spot and stalk works! I have harvested many a Doe in Alabama - wet over cast days always worked best for me.

7.5" Revolver w/ a 2x scope.

I'm actually planing on trying the same hunting method out west this year. Less cover, but still going to do the spot and stalk type hunting Mule Deer, Bear, and Javelina.

Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: BriggsRi] #74534 09/12/2010 12:40 PM
birddog1520 Offline
I've carried 2 guns with me for so long I feel awkward if I only have one with me. That being said I gave up tree stands about 6 years ago and have seen more deer while sneaking around the old logging roads here in north central Pa. than I did while stand hunting. I carry a RBH .41 mag with open sights in a cross draw holster and either a scoped encore or contender with a sling, I usually have a set of shooting sticks with me also it just seems to work best for me so I keep doing what works, your mileage may vary.

Randy, The Birddog.

I'd rather be lost in the woods with my 41 Mag. Than found at home without it.
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: birddog1520] #74535 09/12/2010 2:07 PM
H2OBUG Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Is this close enough for a good shot on a spot and stalk?? This was West Texas 2 years ago--seemed way to easy for open county

http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1455&ppuser=2724

http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1457&ppuser=2724

If it jams force it! If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: H2OBUG] #74545 09/12/2010 10:40 PM
da bear Offline
stranger
stranger
I hunt the northern Minnesota woods and both stand hunt, and
stalk whitetails. Conditions usually determine if I stalk. I
prefer windy days, where I can walk from tree to tree when the
wind blows, picking out my steps while leaning on a tree. And
not on weekends when the woods are full of hunters. One
thing I never here much talk about is using your nose. I learned
back in '91 that deer really do stink up the woods. I was doing
one of my slow walks thru the woods, and suddenly smelled what
I was sure was a buck. I froze in my tracks, raised my nose in
the air, and waited for the wind to circle around. When the
wind came from my backside I could smell it again. I slowly
turned around and there was a 10 point buck 75 yards out through
the woods. It's on my wall now. Since then I never stalk
without using my nose, especially since I don't hear so good anymore.
I've found lost dead deer by scent also.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. Thomas Jefferson
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: wvhitman] #76103 10/19/2010 7:40 AM
7P's Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Just ran across this thread and thought I'd add a pennies worth of advice on tracking deer in the snow. When they bed down they are watching their back trail, so if you are following their tracks they will most likely see you coming and will be long gone prior to you walking up on the bed. An S pattern normally indicates they are getting ready to bed down, so pick a side and swing wide and just maybe you'll get lucky - but I doubt it.

Last edited by 7P's; 10/19/2010 7:42 AM.
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: 7P's] #76120 10/19/2010 2:25 PM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
Here in South Missouri we seldom get snow during November deer season.
I plan to hunt from one of 2 tree stands the first couple days of season. Especially morning & evening. I like to stalk around if conditions are right after the first couple days.

I have a secret method of finding a really big buck that I will share with you. This really works. Do a little research, and scouting to determine the worst place in your area to get a deer out of after killing it. Then hunt their. No one in there right mind would hunt a place like that, and the big deer know this.

See You At The Range
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: Bob Roach] #76137 10/19/2010 6:35 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: Bob R
...I have a secret method of finding a really big buck that I will share with you. This really works. Do a little research, and scouting to determine the worst place in your area to get a deer out of after killing it. Then hunt their. No one in there right mind would hunt a place like that, and the big deer know this.

Bob R, I like the way you think!!!

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: Tracking whitetails with a handgun? [Re: wvhitman] #76138 10/19/2010 6:44 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: lcrogers
I've developed a system for whitetails over the last 33 years that works great. I carry a sidearm, open sights for shots less than 75 yards, and a scope Contender, Encore, or XP-100 for the long stuff. I wear a backpack thats used as a support for long range shots filled with two superlight pillows. THis system has been used all over the west, Alaska, and Africa. It's light, handy, reliable, and has never failed.
WV Hitman

Hi Larry. Nice to see you here. Welcome.
Ken O'Neill

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod