Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shorter range "brush" bullets? #74330 09/07/2010 1:38 PM
SKR Offline OP
OP Offline
Plans deer hunting this fall have been altered a bit since I got my "old" hunting ground back (but sharing it now) and SOME of my shots from my MOA 6.5x284 just wont be very long (but will work I bet hehe).

Still will have longer shots in this and other areas and 130 grain VLD Bergers are first up there.

I'm curious as to how MUCH ye ol "brush bullets" aka 160 grain RN etc would REALLY make if a bit of brush is involved?

PLANNING on shooting through holes in the brush but chit happens so thought Id ask if anyone REALLY notices any difference? A bit concerned on the "thin jacket" report on the VLD hunters IF I hit a branch.

Just curious.
thanks

Last edited by SKR; 09/07/2010 1:39 PM.

Thanks for putting up with me and GOD BLESS!
Steve
Re: Shorter range "brush" bullets? [Re: SKR] #74332 09/07/2010 2:12 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
The round nose "brush bullets" are just a urban legend. In the tests I have read, the spire point bullets do better than the round nose ones-believe it or not.
When shooting in a brushy area, remember that what you see through your scope is a straight line to the animal. It is not the trajectory of your bullet. If you remember that it will help your chances of success.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Shorter range "brush" bullets? [Re: SKR] #74334 09/07/2010 2:16 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
I cannot address your specific question. However, IMHO the concept of a "brush busting" bullet is misplaced. Certainly, very thin skinned high velocity bullets are more likely to disintegrate upon impact with a branch, but all bullets will be deflected from their expected path when they hit anything consequential on their way to the target. The amount of deflection may vary some, but it occurs.

Even though we all will have this happen to us when hunting, my advice is to minimize the probability by trying to avoid shooting through any brush.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Shorter range "brush" bullets? [Re: wtroper] #74340 09/07/2010 4:09 PM
SKR Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks guys. Pretty much how I felt but......I hardly have much experience with such. Too many years of big bore black powder behind me for such shots lol.

Appreciate it.

Steve
Re: Shorter range "brush" bullets? [Re: SKR] #74343 09/07/2010 6:08 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
If you hit a branch and it's even 20 yards away from the animal you stand a really good chance of not hitting the target unless you happen to hit that branch dead center. I agree totally with Ernie on the myth about brush bullets.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Shorter range "brush" bullets? [Re: Gary] #74346 09/07/2010 7:30 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
You need to always make sure your shooting lanes are clear when possible. It takes very little obstruction to deflect a bullet. I too think that "brush busting" is a myth.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Shorter range "brush" bullets? [Re: Whitworth] #74397 09/08/2010 4:52 PM
SKR Offline OP
OP Offline
Just for clarity. In my instance, the brush (that I would even think about shooting through) would be VERY close (2-3 feet) to the deer but for sure try to NOT hit any of it.

Ive an area the they sometimes slink through JUST inside the cover. Such shots with my 54 cal renegade wasnt an issue but being smaller, more fragile and going faster Ive not tried such with the 6.5x284 so thought Id ask.

WAY inside the cover, I wouldnt even think of it.

Pockets to shoot through are first choice but not always is all brush seen in the low light situations so many shots come in.

Appreciate the feedback.

Steve
Re: Shorter range "brush" bullets? [Re: SKR] #74400 09/08/2010 5:57 PM
wtroper Offline
old hand
old hand
While I understand that my recent experience was not "brush," it may illustrate the point, I will relate a hunting experience that I had about 2 yrs ago. I was shooting a 454, 2X scope, with 300 gr jacketed bullets. The target was a large Axis buck at about 100 yds. It was just at daylight (visability somewhat limited) & he was grazing toward me, quartering somewhat. We had been watching him with the binos waiting for enough light to see through the scope. I intended to hit him right at the point of the shoulder. I could not see that his antler was directly in my line of fire.

I hit him in the right antler. The bullet deflected & the antler fragmented, broke his right leg just above the knee and sprayed him with shrapnel (antler & bullet?)on his right side. We were fortunate enough to find him and finish the job. However, I will always be very mindful of the potential of the bullet striking something (anything) before it gets to a game animal. I also subsequently have moved up to 4X scopes on my hunting revolvers.

Last edited by wtroper; 09/09/2010 2:31 PM.

It's more important where you hit 'em, than what you hit 'em with.
Re: Shorter range "brush" bullets? [Re: wtroper] #74429 09/09/2010 1:58 AM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I can attest to the brush/bullet myth.12 gauge slugs are deflected with brush and we're talking less than 50 yards to the target.I once had my 22-250 and was trying to kill this groundhog at 20 yards and of course the bullets were fragmenting on the brush in front of the groundhog,the groundhog acted as though he /she didn't know what was going on,so I pulled my .357 magnum out loaded with 125 softpoints they didn't make it to the groundhog either,finally not knowing what was going on he/she came walking out of the brush toward me and I shot mr./miss hog at 3 feet.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Shorter range "brush" bullets? [Re: johnwilliams] #74693 09/17/2010 4:18 PM
Muddy Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I can attest to the "myth" of brush busting bullets to some degree. On my farm we have set up what we call our "trail walk". It is several steel plates placed at various distances in the timber and we walk and shoot with our handguns. It is great practice for hunting. What we have found that still is amazing..is just how LITTLE brush affects hits on the plates. Sometimes a big bore handgun may hit a small limb..smaller than a pencil, and bullets may miss by quite a bit. I am sure the bullets are tumbling after hitting the brush. One thing we have learned from our "walk" is that we need CLEAR shots to ensure CLEAN kills.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod