Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Guy (Introduction) #74441 09/09/2010 6:14 AM
myv6mustang Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings,

I have been lurking for about 3-4 weeks now and decided to go ahead and mix it up.

Names Sam and i'm currently stationed in Warner Robins GA. Been here for about 2 years and just decided to pick up hunting as a hobby. Bought a remmington 770 (i think) rifle to hunt with, havent been yet but decided i would rather use a handgun. I had been research the desert eagle since 07.

I read alot about not being good hunting guns and more of target shooting guns. I thought hmm... if i can hit a target with it why not game? So i picked one up a month or two ago, in the 41 caliber, at a gun show. After searching 2 weeks for ammo i just bought a .50 slide and barrel and just converted to a 50. I soon learned of the cost of these bullets. So i have picked up reloading. I also picked up a scope i paid 70 bucks for. Wish i had done a bit more research before that purchase.

So far i have put 80 rounds through the gun 40 store bought and 40 i made myself. Mine had a bit more kick to them. Anyway i found that i am more accurate at about 25 yrds iron sighted than i am with the scope. I will be paying to get it sighted in before i hunt.

I have also been reading The ultimate guide to handgun hunting by Clair Rees (not from Silence of the Lambs). They said wait until you can group 8 shots at 100 yrds before heading out so i have some practice to do.

I had a few questions to get me to this 100 yrd mark.

1. Can anyone recommend a good scope for the gun? The one i have when pushed back stop the shells from ejecting, and when moved forward its burning at the bottom. Open to red dot but want to be able to hit my mark at at least 100yrds.

2. Should i pay to get it sighted in or try and do it myself?

3. Anyone recommend a good accurate bullet to load with?

Thanks in advance guys.

Sam

Re: New Guy (Introduction) [Re: myv6mustang] #74445 09/09/2010 11:19 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Myv6mustang, WELCOME ABOARD!!

The ultimate guide to handgun hunting is good book! I have that one! It concentrates more on revolvers than single shots IMHO, but still a very good book. I think Ch 12 With Mr. Lynn Thompson awesome! All of his attention to detail at the range paid off in the real world scenario of hunting in the field.

I would say find out where your comfortable shooting and stop there. Could be 25 yards, could be 50... BUT, don’t worry about the 100 mark. If you practice it will come! Just put your time in on the range and find out what you and your gun are capable of.

(#1) I don’t have any red dots... but there are quite a few shooters here that do!

If you shells keep hitting your scope, do you need a different mount?

(#2) Handguns are very finicky when it comes to sighting in. They are sensitive to grip pressure, consistent hand pressure, how YOU recoil with the gun.... lots and lots of variables. With that being said, I really think you should sight in your handgun!

(#3) Sorry I can’t help. I wouldn’t worry to much about expansion with a 50 cal. LOL Just find what powder and bullet combination you barrel likes. It is all simply about harmonics, frequency, and vibrations.
(as a musician I look at a barrel like a base fiddle...)

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: New Guy (Introduction) [Re: TCTex.] #74448 09/09/2010 1:40 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Once you get it shooting as accurate as possible then find out how accurate you are when shooting from field positions.
The vital area is going to be around 8 inches. Learn the vital area on the critter you are hunting and then begin to think 3-dimensionally as that animal will not always be a perfect broadside.
picture in your mind how the anatomy of the deer and how you need to place your sights so that the bullet passes through the vitals.
Since you are a newbie to hunting, realize you do not always place your shot behind the shoulder.
Welcome to HH!
Good luck handgun hunting.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: New Guy (Introduction) [Re: Ernie] #74452 09/09/2010 2:30 PM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
Sam,

Welcome to HH. I've shot a fair amount of 50 AE in the Desert Eagle and find it to be an excellent hunting gun and round. Are far as sighting in the gun, you should do so yourself. The bore sighting techniques that dealers use, may get you to hit the "barn"; but, usually not the precision you require for hunting. Most bore sighting equipment is designed for long barreled firearms ( carbines and rifles ). Follow Ernie's and TC's advice, they've "been there, done that!"

I've had good experience with Speer's 50/300 Gold Dot ( now Deep Curl #4493 ) and WW296 powder.

I would strongly consider a red dot or holo sight for your 50 AE. The holo sights are rugged, small, and unobtrusive. A 4 MOA has served me just fine.

If you ever want to sell the 41 bolt, barrel, and mags, please send me a PM.

Doc

Re: New Guy (Introduction) [Re: doc with a glock] #74458 09/09/2010 4:11 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Welcome aboard Sam!

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: New Guy (Introduction) [Re: Tigger] #74459 09/09/2010 5:04 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Welcome to the site & the addiction Sam!
You've got some great advice & there's not much I can add. I will say I favor red dot sights on hunting handguns.
For now I would add that when you go to sight in the gun with the optical sight on it, start close, say 10 yds with a BIG chunk of cardboard just in case it's off a ways. Get it -0-ed there & then move out to 25 or so & do what adjusting you need to do.
As others have said, don't worry about the 100yd mark for now. Maybe later. There are a lot of guys who have handgun hunted for yrs & don't feel comfortable at 100yds. Find the max distance you can consistently keep your shots on an 8" plate & call that your range for now. It might be 25 or 50 yds this year. Maybe 80 next...
Finally, practice, practice, practice! As Earnie said, don't just practice from the bench, practice from real field positions. If the loads you are building are hot & beating you up or making you flinch, load down a bit for now so you can get used to things.

Have fun & thanks for your service to or country!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: New Guy (Introduction) [Re: Vance in AK.] #74478 09/09/2010 11:26 PM
myv6mustang Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the advice. I'll start searching on best ways to sight in the gun. Also may look into the red dot or holograph, since the one i have now just isn't working. Thanks again for the welcome.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod