Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shooting Sticks #74552 09/13/2010 12:31 AM
tradrick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
How many of you guys use them? What kind or name brand do you use? I don't know if they would be necessary or not just something I'm considering. I finally got to shoot my 357 at 50yds. today. Was able to keep 4 cylinders full (24 rds.) inside the 8'' shoot n see target. I was shooting with my hand proped but not having the revolver rested. I was thinking if I used a set of shooting sticks with the revolver rested I might be able to tighten that up a good bit. Of cource I still got plenty of practicing to do. That was just my second outing since I put the red dot on it. I may try 60 or 70 yards at my next range visit. Just to see at what range can I no longer keep them in the 8'' circle. Since that is about the size of a whitetails vital area. But I won't venture out much beyond that because of the weapons caliber. I think next year when I get my hands on a Ruger Bisley Hunter with good optics chambered in 44 mag. I should be able to stretch that distance out to 100 yds. or so.

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: tradrick] #74554 09/13/2010 12:37 AM
mikefrompa Offline
old hand
old hand
I made a set of shooting sticks from 5/8 in. poplar dowel rods. I finished sanded them and stained them a dark brown color. I used 1/4 in. hardware to put it together. I left them at 48 in. long. They are light weight and easy to carry to my tree seat.

Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: mikefrompa] #74561 09/13/2010 2:14 AM
BriggsRi Offline
stranger
stranger
I have the Stoney Point shooting sticks - they are a three sectional system. The Stoney point sticks fold up nicely and un fold very fast. I use this stick for Coyote hunting and for Hand Gunning!

However, the Bog Pog system looks interesting - the tri-pod with the red tips.

Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: BriggsRi] #74564 09/13/2010 3:00 AM
tradrick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Academy had a set similar to the Bog Pog Q-Stik Monopod. Look nearly identical for 25.00. Might not have had all the acessories that are avalible like it is with the Q-Stix. But all I'm looking for is a good quality adjustable shooting stick. I don't need all those gizmos that can attach to it.Now for 99.95 the Q-Stik is or at least should be of better quality than the Academy Sports one. But is it $75 better? There's only one dealer that stocks the Bog Pod products. And he's about 60 miles away. So the delima begins.LOL

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: tradrick] #74565 09/13/2010 3:06 AM
tradrick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Those of you with the Stoney Point Shooting Stik. How are they when using handguns? Do you rest the barrel or the front of the frame on the sticks? Just wanting to make sure they are in fact handgun friendly.

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: tradrick] #74568 09/13/2010 3:50 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
I have 2 different ones. My real hunting one is from Wal Mart. I did not find a brand name on it. It telescopes in 3 sections. It will adjust from setting on the ground to standing. It has a plastic Y shape head on the top with rubber on the inside of the V. It works very well, and is easy to pack with you.

My other one is a wood walking stick with a forked antler on the top. Only good when standing due to length. I use it when I go walk about.

See You At The Range
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: tradrick] #74573 09/13/2010 1:14 PM
BriggsRi Offline
stranger
stranger
 Originally Posted By: tradrick
Those of you with the Stoney Point Shooting Stik. How are they when using handguns? Do you rest the barrel or the front of the frame on the sticks? Just wanting to make sure they are in fact handgun friendly.

I rest the bbl on the rubber yoke that holds the sticks together - I would be concerned resting the frame on the rubber parts, due to flash coming from the cylinder / bbl.

I have burned a few sandbags resting the frame on them.

Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: BriggsRi] #74574 09/13/2010 1:35 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
I made my own from two old arrows and a short piece of 3/8" gas line.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: Tigger] #74577 09/13/2010 2:57 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I use the stony point sticks - I think they are the steady-stix model. You can use them from the sitting position unless you're sitting on a stool or something then they are too short for that. I always have them with me...

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: Gary] #74578 09/13/2010 3:25 PM
tradrick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for all the help guys. The one Bob R describes from WalMart best describes the one I seen at Academy. Its a monopod that can also be used as a walking stick. It telescopes in 3 different sections. Can be used from sitting to full standing positions.I like the idea of its versatility. Just wondered how well it would hold up. I guess there's only one way to find out. If I decide to get one I will do a review on one in case others are intrested. Thanks for everyone's help.

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: tradrick] #74581 09/13/2010 4:36 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
The only trouble with the monopod versions I've seen is that they are heavy and not nearly as stable as a two-legged version. You basically have to shoot the gun one handed. The three-legged versions are even better but also heavy. I like the stony point sticks because they fold up and are easy to deploy if you need them.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: tradrick] #74582 09/13/2010 4:39 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: tradrick
Thanks for all the help guys. The one Bob R describes from WalMart best describes the one I seen at Academy. Its a monopod that can also be used as a walking stick. It telescopes in 3 different sections. Can be used from sitting to full standing positions.I like the idea of its versatility. Just wondered how well it would hold up. I guess there's only one way to find out. If I decide to get one I will do a review on one in case others are intrested. Thanks for everyone's help.

This is similar to what I have put together from a photography monopod (Manfrotto) and a replacement shooting V-yoke from Stoney Point which has a 3/8-24 threaded insert in the bottom. Screws right on to the monopod and has three quiet adjustable sections. Since I also shoot a T/C Encore Pro Hunter, it matches the black and satin silver.

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: guitarpicva] #74610 09/14/2010 2:56 AM
sixshot Offline
old hand
old hand
It depends on the country you are hunting in, if its flat the tripod works great, if you are hunting in the mountains where its a steep up hill or down hill shot then you need something a little different.
When I went to Africa I made a set using 3 wooden dowels 5/8's diameter & 36" long, I painted them dark green & glued a rubber foot on each one, then using a piece of leather shoe lace I wrapped them together about 6" down from the top, this worked great over there & I wouldn't have got a couple of my animals without them.
When hunting mountainous terrain I use my walking stick quite often & I also carry a Trigger Stick in my pack, its sticking out the top where I can reach back & grab it in a hurry if needed.

Another setup that my handgun friends in Africa liked was the short Harris Bipod.

Here's my Trigger Stick.

With the Trigger Stick its important to put the handgun on it & then have the Stick leaning back towards your body, this helps tighten everything up. With my homemade tripod you can see the legs are inside of my legs, this helps hold them in place.

Dick

Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: tradrick] #74611 09/14/2010 4:06 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
Tradrick
It is a little on the lightly constructed side for a real walking stick. If used for it's intended purpose as a shooting rest, it should last for years. You can use it as a walking stick, just do not go putting a lot of weight on it, or side loading it.
It should work equally well for a rifle, handgun, muzzle loader, camera or laser range finder.

The total short length is 22", and it extends to 61" in useable length to the inside of the padded V. It has a weight of just 9 Oz. It has a foam padded handle just under the Y head at the top. The Y head will unscrew, revealing a 1/4" stud that a camera, etc will screw down on. Between the Y head and the shaft a loop of 1" webbing is provided as a wrist strap. It has a steal wear point on the bottom end where it contacts the ground. The tube sections look to be Hi Tensil Strenth aluminum with an anodized Black finish. The latches seem to work with no issues. With a price of around $20, what's not to love.
So far I have not had my hands on any other mono pod rest that I would trade this one for.

See You At The Range
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: Bob Roach] #74613 09/14/2010 8:45 AM
tradrick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for all the great advice. Time to go shopping.

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often
Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: tradrick] #74661 09/16/2010 11:57 AM
kingfisher Offline
addict
addict
MossyBack tripod sticks work good for me.

Re: Shooting Sticks [Re: tradrick] #75036 09/27/2010 4:59 PM
sixgunner454 Offline
I like the Large Trigger Stick. VERY sturdy. It says not to but, I use mine as a walking stick. The rest unscrews and you can use it for a camera or range finder. I use it mainly for longer range shots with my scoped revolver.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 108 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod