Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New to Hunting with a Handgun #74677 09/17/2010 1:30 AM
WolfPT4 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Like the statement above says I am new to hunting with a handgun. I have been wanting to try it for a few years but I am actually going to give it a try this season. I could really use some tips and advice from the experts. I wanted to get a SBH .44 with 7 1/2 inch barrel but I settled with a SBH .44 with a 4 5/8. What are my advantages and disadvantages using that short of a barrel. I haven't shot a .44 mag in years so I plan on putting a couple hundred rounds of .44 spl and then move my way up to the .44 mag. I won't actually hunt with it until I am comfortable and have enough confidence to take game responsibly. When hunting I don't like wounding animals and would rather harvest them with a quick death. I believe I would be more comfortable with a cross draw chest holster but I could be wrong. So please throw some experienced advice my way. I know I have more questions but can't think of them at this time.

Semper Fi

Re: New to Hunting with a Handgun [Re: WolfPT4] #74683 09/17/2010 6:09 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
Starting off with light loads is a good plan. If you reload I would get 44 magnum brass to start out with, and load light loads and work up. I would probably start loading with Unique powder and a load of around 850 fps till you get comfortable shooting it. I would switch to H110, Win 296, or AA#9 and a 240 Soft Point when you feel ready. You can work up with the slower powders also.
No mention of optics, so I am presuming you plan on using open sights. In Tennessee you are probably hunting in the woods for whitetail. I think you will discover with a 4-5/8" barrel you will limit your shots with open sights to around 50 yards. A short barrel open sight handgun has about the same comfort range as a Hi Tech compound bow. At 25 to 35 you feel good about the shot. At 40 to 50 you need to bear down and not mess anything up to make the shot.

Where I am hunting I would normally set up in a Tree Stand or Ground Blind with about a 35 to 40 yard shot as the plan. You should have no trouble with a short barrel at that distance with some practice. I also like to walk about some after season gets going a couple days. You can get into longer shots when stalking about. You just need to know when to hold um, and know when to fold um. If it is out of your comfort zone let it walk away.
With an open sight SBH holsters are not a real big issue. I would probably go with a belt holster.
With a scope you will need to see what is available.
If you are looking at installing optical sights at some point, I would go with either a 2X scope or a 30mm Ultra Dot.

If you have a good reason to keep this gun, enjoy and get good with it. If it were me, I would keep saving and looking and get a longer barrel gun. Also if you get a chance to shoot a Super RedHawk do so. I think you will discover the big gun with cushion grips is not nearly as punishing to shoot.

See You At The Range
Re: New to Hunting with a Handgun [Re: Bob Roach] #74685 09/17/2010 10:26 AM
kynardsj Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I think Bob R covered it pretty well.

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Re: New to Hunting with a Handgun [Re: kynardsj] #74812 09/21/2010 3:54 PM
j _hill Offline
stranger
stranger
I agree with all of the above. I personally prefer a longer barrel for hunting, with the longer sight radius they are a little more forgiving with sight picture errors. As long as you can hit with it that's all that matters.

One thing I would add as far as holster selection- I prefer a cross draw for my 7 1/2" SBH because of the barrel length but if you do any spot & stalk in open country and need to do any low crawling you may prefer a strong side belt holster. The barrel length isn't really an issue with your 4 5/8" and a strong side set up may keep it out of the dirt a little better.

Re: New to Hunting with a Handgun [Re: j _hill] #74814 09/21/2010 4:16 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I am okay with iron sights, but I am much better with an optic.
That is just me.
The rig you have will work fine as you limit yourself to what you know you can do from field positions.
I use the 7.5" barrels myself.
Welcome to handgun hunting and to the HH forum!

Ernie the Un-Tactical

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod