Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters #74852 09/22/2010 5:23 PM
zac0419 Offline OP
OP Offline
I got back to the states last month for some vacation and got to get out to the range with two new revolvers. I recently purchased a new 45 BH Hunter and a 5.5 Bisley 45. I had shot the hunter before but not with any serious agenda. I got out to the range 3 times in a week trying to see how far I could stretch a six shot MOPP "minute of paper plate". I had read that thats a pretty good barometer for ethical hunting ranges and it sounded pretty good.

Shooting +P rounds with hands rested on bag.

I started out with the hunter. I had recently put a ultradot on it and it made the balance in my hand even worse. It felt top-heavy. From the start I didn't really like it. I will give it more time when I have more time. I shot ok at 25 and switched to the Bisley before moving out targets to another range.

The Bisley felt great, didn't help my shooting much but the balance was exactly what I like. A couple of good groups (almost said really good, forgot the audience) at 25 and kept the fliers inside MOPP. I enjoyed the Bisley so much more than the Hunter I used it primarily from here on. The problem came when I moved to 50. I would have 4-5 pretty good then a flier, sometimes off paper plate. I put about 50 rounds at 50yds and occasionally would have a good string ready to walk away for the day followed by a string with fliers. After that many +P's I started to get punchy and walked away.

Day 2 and 3 went a little better and I am comfortable now at bow-ranges. Right now there is a self imposed limit of 40 yds. At 40 I keep all 6 around the middle of the paper plate. I can't tell you why it opens up so much by adding 10-20 yds but it does. I'll carry this Bisley this fall knowing my limitations. I have another week of shooting before Nov and short (20-40 yd) shots are the norm where I hunt.

Long story short, I need lots more practice before I can really push the potential of these pistols. That'll have to wait until I can come back stateside and shoot a lot.

At the end of the day, I have a lot more respect (or loathing) for you guys putting up open sight fist sized groups at 100+ yds with a revolver. Yeah Dick, Gary, Snyd, Gregg I'm talking to you.

Take care,
Zac

Zac
CO
Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: zac0419] #74853 09/22/2010 6:42 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
One thing that's easy to forget or overlook, especially when you start to get a little fatigued, is to keep your eyes focused on that front sight. Shorter barrels are particularly critical about the sight picture so even the slightest change can make a big difference as the ranges increase.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: Gary] #74854 09/22/2010 7:08 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Is this benched shooting or field rests?

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: Ernie] #74855 09/22/2010 7:23 PM
zac0419 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hands rested on a sandbag on a bench. I didn't use the sandbag for anything other than adding a little support and some height.

Last edited by zac0419; 09/22/2010 7:26 PM.

Zac
CO
Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: zac0419] #74859 09/22/2010 10:30 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Consistency of grip is important.
Also the amount of weight or tension you put on the bags from shot to shot-everything is about consistency.
So is making sure that you are pulling the trigger with the middle of your trigger finger (middle between the last joint to the tip of your finger).

Dry firing is real important, and it will let you see if you are squeezing your grip through the trigger pull.

Anticipating recoil (flinching) is way more common than most men want to admit.
Have someone load your gun with fired cases and don't watch how many there is or how they are placed-it can be very educational.

A grip about like you would grip a hammer, not overly tight.
You may have these things down-If so, please disregard.

Front sight was already mentioned, but can't be overemphasized.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: Ernie] #74881 09/23/2010 1:29 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
.45 Ruger's need the bore and throats slugged and measured. Many have throats too small and need lapped or reamed. Make the gun right and fit boolits and they are like a laser.
This is what my Vaquero does at 50 yards from Creedmore, no bags.
Cast boolit hand loads, the gun has done 1" at 75 yards.

Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: 430man] #74883 09/23/2010 2:31 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
How about a Ruger SBH at 200 yards? Sandbags this time to measure boolit drop with a new mold I made.

Then BFR revolvers at 50 yards. Can shot twice at 100 yards with the BFR .475.

No, I am not pulling your leg, a revolver can out shoot a lot of rifles.
You might have a throat problem with the .45 plus it sounds like you are shooting factory loads.
My hunting limit is 100 yards plus, off hand. From a rest and knowing the boolit drop, 200 is doable.
I shoot revolvers to 500 meters (547 yards) for fun and hit steel.
I have been called a liar and was kicked off the single action site when I irritated them but it is up to you to decide.
I do not want over 56 years of working with revolvers to go to waste and will do all I can to help anyone.
My best so far was with a .500 JRH, BFR that Whitworth has. I shot a 1/4" group at 50 yards. It was only a 3 shot group but the gun amazes me.

Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: 430man] #74886 09/23/2010 2:44 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Anyone who goes beyond what others consider a norm you will be called names to discredit you.
For some, if they can't do it, it can't or shouldn't be done-Such is humanity.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: 430man] #74888 09/23/2010 2:54 PM
zac0419 Offline OP
OP Offline
Gary, one thing I noticed. It seemed like the front sight took up most if not all the gap from the rear sight, in my sight picture. I'm going to have it narrowed a bit to help with lateral acquisition.

Ernie, I tried to pay attention to consistent grip. I do dry fire a bit but should do it more. There is a real good possibility I was gripping too tight. I'll play with that next time. Those +P's are stout, I'm not that flinchy but it does get me every once and a while on the seventh shot. Loading with cases is a good one too.

I try to pay attention to a slow steady pull, trying not to anticipate the explosion about to happen. I am a rifle and semi-auto pistol shooter. These are the first revolvers I've owned in a while.

430, you are hereby added to the list of shooters I loath, I mean, respect.. That's some nice shooting. It all boils down to practice practice practice. I just want to be practicing with the right fundamentals. I had the Hunter throats opened and the Redhawk and Bisley are on the way to CAS now to be done. But i take full responsibility for my shooting thus-far. It's not the guns fault yet.

I have reloading gear but haven't started yet. I'm still out of country and my trips home are so crazy I barely get to shoot. Just no time right now. Factory loads from BB and DoubleTap. I just think of it as really expensive brass. I did just order 100rds of DT standard loads 255 SWC at 950fps. I might be better practicing with those then accounting for change in POI.
Thanks for the reply's guys, every bit helps.

Zac
CO
Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: zac0419] #74890 09/23/2010 3:53 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
I am NOT a trick shot or even come close to Munden or all the others that I respect to no end.
What I have done is too find out what a revolver dimensions need to be and what it takes to make them shoot. How to load for them and what boolits to use. Nothing is magic and I want all of you to fall in love with the gun.
I am almost 73 and shake pretty bad off hand anymore. I refuse to get a swelled head and will tell every single thing I have learned even if a few will fight to the death to prove me wrong.
All you need to remember is if you are the best shot in the world, you can't shoot what will not shoot. Make the gun work and all of you will do better. That is my only goal.
Too many of you are great shots but you can't make the gun do what you want it to. Never look down at your shooting, study the gun and it's loads first.
If the gun shoots to the sights, you WILL get better but if it sprays shots, you are wasting your time and will never improve.
I reject all loads that shoot over 1" at 50 yards. I NEVER shoot 25 yards because even a bad load will shoot decent at that close a range and you learn nothing.
But also remember that no group can be shot "on demand" and I do not believe anyone with that claim because the loose nut behind the grip is the last word so don't worry if you can't do it all the time. You have to relax and enjoy the shooting. Once the gun is great and you blow shots, laugh and try again, never get uptight. You will know you are doing good if you can call a shot even if it is a wide miss. If the boolit hits at the spot the sights were at, even if a foot away, then the gun is working but you are not.
I want your gun to hit to the sights, the rest is up to you. I want you to have fun first.

Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: 430man] #74901 09/24/2010 12:27 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
430man where were you 30 plus years ago when I was trying to learn what it took to shoot.I had an older retiered armorer trying to tell me what you are telling these guys now.Some people will always be better than others and not everone can become a great shot ,but you can become a better shot,with some good advise and a never say quit attitude. The gun has to shoot to the sights , but you have to control the gun .I didn't find a thing in your responce that wasn't spot on . Be honest with yourself when calling shots, you are the only one that knows where the sights were when the shot broke ,and enjoy yourself life is to short not to. Well written sir!!!

junebug
Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: junebug] #74905 09/24/2010 11:23 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
430man shot this group with my .500 JRH BFR at 50 yards:

Yup, he can shoot! LOL!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: Whitworth] #74906 09/24/2010 12:36 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Shooters helping shooter is what it is all about.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: Ernie] #74907 09/24/2010 12:52 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
AMEN!!!!!

If we can't be here for each other, who else is going to be?

Duane

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: I now have more respect for revolver sharpshooters [Re: TCTex.] #74908 09/24/2010 1:53 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
I have learned a few things about certain guns over the years. Maybe the most accurate were the S&W mod 29's. I could easily shoot 1/2" groups at 50 meters from Creedmore. However if I put the gun down to change the target and picked it up again, I would still shoot a 1/2" group but it could be as much as 10" from the first group. Put the gun down between shots and you could shoot a 10" group because of grip sensitivity. I could center punch the first five targets at an IHMSA match and miss the next five.
Next is the Super Redhawk, VERY accurate and less sensitive, just use a firm grip.
Then the BFR revolvers are without a doubt, very accurate and consistent. All dimensions have been perfect on all I have shot.
The Super Blackhawk is a fine shooter but not in the same class as the BFR's.
Dan Wesson revolvers made at certain times were great but the company went through many owner changes and some guns were junk.
A hard gun to shoot is the standard Redhawk, grip and powder choice will make or break groups.
I can NOT control a Bisley grip for consistent groups, they are as bad as the S&W for me. My grip a tad off will give me fliers.
The Freedom guns are very sensitive in that regard. They also have alignment problems and dimensions all over the place from over size and out of round bores to under size throats. One that is off in chamber alignment will wear badly at the throats and rifling start.
I love the hog leg grip and can shift my grip with no change in POI. The Pachmeyer grips work super good.
One thing to never allow is roll in the hand. The gun should be held so it does not rotate, it should only raise your arm in recoil. Do not believe anything you read about the grip rolls nicely----NOT ALLOWED!
A good revolver should have some play in the cylinder, never be solid tight lockup. Let the boolit align the chamber instead of trying to make the chamber align the boolit. Even fitting a tighter cylinder pin can ruin accuracy.
I have posted a million times on how to load for revolvers and am kind of tired over it but if you want me to, I can start again for you.
Be aware that you need to toss out your gun comics!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod