Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Electronic muffs #5854 12/18/2004 4:19 AM
KYODE Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
figured i might as well start a thread on it.

what brands work well?

does the type that enhance hearing work well?

are they bulky, or unhandy?

do you use them with your braked or unbraked handgun?

share anything you wish on these. let's hear how they work

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Electronic muffs [Re: KYODE] #5855 12/18/2004 12:53 PM
RSA_LT Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Kyode

I reckon I'd be deafer without these. For shooting range work they're great but hunting I have found them brilliant. All my hunting with a handgun has been walk and stalk. Once that buck of a lifetime is spotted and you have managed to stalk within range there is not much time to get ready and take the shot. I found that using ear plugs may help, but sometimes the buck don't care to wait long enough. And then of course thers all that extra movement whilst I'm trying to get my hearing protection on.

Peltor make a great set. They must be amongst the least bulky on the market.

I think some form of hearing protection is a must when hunting with a handgun, more so with a ported one. The Electronic muffs make life a little easier, you can clearly hear what your guide/buddy is saying to you, take the shot and still have happy ears.

There are some makes out there that enhance hearing, I don't think the peltor is one of them. With the volume set too high is a definite static buzz. I had the same problem with another brand I had tried before the peltors.

Re: Electronic muffs [Re: KYODE] #5856 12/19/2004 1:45 PM
Chief RID Offline
I don't have these but have considered them since my hearing is not what it used to be. I have problems with direction of sound and things are definitely closer than they used to be when I hear them. I think they all make that buzz to an extent. Most you can elliminate by turning down the volume but then you can't hear that buck grunt or those turkeys cackling like you can with it turned up. Lets don't even talk about the wind noise.

this will be a great thread for us considering these things for hunting. I know they are great at the range where you have to remind yourself after a walk down to put your ears back on and sometimes forget while the guy down the line fires his ported 300 mag.

Re: Electronic muffs [Re: KYODE] #5857 12/19/2004 3:14 PM
tommyn Offline
I have a set of Remington's that I love. I'm also hard of hearing and I wore them deer hunting this year. It's neat to be shooting from the bench and hear others talk on the next bench. If I lose them I replace them.

Re: Electronic muffs [Re: tommyn] #5858 12/19/2004 6:23 PM
KYODE Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
thats the second recommendation i've heard on the Remington muffs.

peltor makes at least a couple different grades. tac 6, and tac 7 maybe

how bout static, or unwanted noises in the rem. or others?

thanks n keep em comin

Re: Electronic muffs [Re: KYODE] #5859 12/19/2004 8:50 PM
Chief RID Offline
I looked at the remington reviews on midway and they said something about the AAAbatteries had to be extra short. Don't know about that. I think this comes from some Japanese made stuff on the size of the battery bow sometimes.

they had some pretty good reviews you may want to look at but board members are probably the ticket, Kyode

I hope the tread picks up, it has me interested.

Re: Electronic muffs [Re: KYODE] #5860 12/19/2004 9:58 PM
RadioTech Offline
stranger
stranger
http://www.botac.com/peltac6ster.html

I got a pair of these in the behind the head style and they are great. This outfit has these for $69.95.
They are stereo and do amplify sound above normal but shut down with the snap of a finger and there is no annoying pop when it happens.

Re: Electronic muffs [Re: RadioTech] #5861 12/19/2004 10:50 PM
KYODE Offline OP
Shooting Expert
OP Offline
Shooting Expert
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?r=ad%2Fother&s=SEARCH&a=search&k=hearing+protection

here are some also. anyone know much about them?
what about the caldwell?....or north electronics?

RadioTech........that is a good price on the peltor tac 6. they are usually pretty high.

Re: Electronic muffs [Re: KYODE] #5862 12/20/2004 1:09 AM
sgtrock58 Offline
stranger
stranger
Hey KYODE
I have a set of peltor tac 6's they are the greatest for me, I don't shoot anything with out them. The only thing I don't like about them is its hard to tell which direction sounds are coming from. Other than that there good. I bought mine for behind the head set up, but that dosen't work so well, the wire frame rubs on your collar and it resinates thru the muffs, I bought over the head convertion kit much better now, they do amplify everything I had to really learn to disreguard white noise from streams, brooks, creeks, rivers, aircraft, cars. Just like anything else mechanical got to trust your equipment. the cost of these has gone down since I bought mine,I paid 180 with tax, then conv.kit was 25 not including shipping. HTH sgtrock

Re: Electronic muffs [Re: sgtrock58] #5863 12/20/2004 2:29 AM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I just got me a set of Pro ears stalkers D-2
at $230 they are not cheep but i found they are well worth the money and they have a 5 year warrenty (first year is totaly free and the last 4 you pay $20 shipping)
They have a very long barrety life at least 200 hours the only down side is the battery are alittle hard to find they use a size N I found them at radio shack and lowes so I picked up several sets when I found them.
Just a few weeks ago I had a woman call the game warden on me. I was hunting about 300 yards from her house I could hear the warder tell her that it is deer season and he has permision to be on the farm. I have heard quite a few deer walk into me. when I fireed the handgun they blocked out all the muzzleblast and regained sound quickly. THe last doe I shot ran about 100 yards then droped out of sight I heard her fall. This was the only way I knew I hit her I could not find any blood or hair but I heard her fall so I knew about where she was.
I will not use a firearm in the fiels with out them any more. If you need more information feel free to email me handgunhunting@comcast.net I will answer anything I can about them.

Re: Electronic muffs [Re: RickyP] #5864 12/20/2004 9:41 PM
Hawkeye Offline
old hand
old hand
I have purchased three pair of the Caldwell's. I got one and then my shooting buddies wouldn't let me wear mine so I bought each of them some. I have never had any trouble with them. I've got about 70% hearing loss in one ear and 50% in the other from heavy equip and shooting for 30 years. I sure like them hunting. I can hear sounds I haven't heard in many years. I heard some turkeys scratching around behind me last fall and took one with a bow. I would have moved too much and spooked them if not wearing the muffs. They are cool at the range cause you don't have to shout at each other now. So far, 1.5 yrs and no problems. Heck, no more than they cost, I can buy one a year for a while and still not have invested what the Peltor cost.

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.
Re: Electronic muffs [Re: KYODE] #5865 12/21/2004 2:31 AM
Tusk Offline
stranger
stranger
I have 2 pair of the Peltor Tac-6 muffs and I love them. I use them at the range and while hunting. I took them to Africa and use them for deer and turkey. I have two children in their teens and I have them wear them when shooting.....I would not fire a gun without them now.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod