Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question to all 454 reloaders out there... #75045 09/27/2010 8:42 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I have ordered a new model 83 in 454 casull about 4 weeks ago, and I am waiting (very anxiously!) to get it from that little factory in Freedom, WY. I was planning on buying some dies, brass, and ext. and getting a head start on conjuring up some loads to shoot for when it gets here. I currently load for my 45 colt, but have never loaded the 454 casull. Any hints from you experienced guys as to:

-What brand/ kind of dies to buy?
-should I buy a separate crimping die?

I have been doing a little research, and so far I am leaning towards Hornady four die set with the separate sizing die. so far i have found out:

-do not use 45 colt dies
-ALWAYS seat and crimp the bullet in separate steps

I looked at lee carbide dies but was turned away when the sizing and expander dies in the box were labeled 45 colt.

Any suggestions would be great! thanks again, and good shooting

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Question to all 454 reloaders out there... [Re: BBwheelgunner] #75050 09/27/2010 10:27 PM
Jared Offline
stranger
stranger
I don't reload 454 but do a fair share of 44mag. I use the Lee carbide dies for all of my handguns and have bought a crimp die for most of them. I would suggest if you are doing heavy 454 loads that you get a crimp die, whether you go Lee or whomever. I know that when I was taper crimping the 44, my bullets would jump when I started getting into the harder recoiling areas. With a crimp die, it has totally resolved. So, I guess my other question is why not the Lee dies, are they not the right size? 454 vs 452? I am not being a smart ass, I don't know what size the 45LC dies are tailored to. I guess I could try mic'ing my 45LC dies. I am curious why you can't or would be better served with 454 specific dies. I would like to go the same route as you and get a FA 454 next year or so. Hope this helps, Jared

Re: Question to all 454 reloaders out there... [Re: BBwheelgunner] #75053 09/27/2010 10:48 PM
mikefrompa Offline
old hand
old hand
I have Lyman and Lee dies for the 454 along with the Lee factory crimp die from Lee. I have loaded 454 ammo using the factory crimp die and using the 3 die set and I can't tell a difference in accuracy. I have never had a bullet unlodge itself while shooting when I loaded them with the 3 die set. Yes I have loaded some hot loads with it but never had a problem.

Re: Question to all 454 reloaders out there... [Re: mikefrompa] #75062 09/28/2010 1:18 AM
BBwheelgunner Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Jared,

As I have said, I do not load for it yet, so I was thinking the same as you, but I have read that the 454 casull has tighter inside dimensions with the sizing die for squeezing the bullet more? I am not sure about that one... this paragraph that follows was directly copied and pasted from the Freedom Arms website:

"TIP #3: Reloading dies?
The use of dies other than specified for the 454 CASULLTM IS NOT RECOMMENDED! Reloading dies manufactured for the 454 CASULLTM have different internal dimensions than 45 Long Colt dies. The two main differences are: 1.> The crimp die is different than the standard crimp die in a way that allows a tapered roll crimp to retain the heavier bullets at the higher velocities. 2.> The sizing die is smaller in diameter to help in the retention of the heavier bullets. Also the longer length allows full length sizing of the longer 454 case."

That is kinda what I am going off of I guess?

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"
Re: Question to all 454 reloaders out there... [Re: BBwheelgunner] #75071 09/28/2010 4:38 AM
tradmark Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
no that is a very real and valid point, my rcbs dies do a better job of this than my hornady dies. i talked to john at FA and he says he uses a redding profile crimp die as a 2nd crimp so following his advice, this is what i do. use rcbs dies for sizing, crimp with it lightly, then follow with the hornady die for a more aggressive crimp. i don't have much of a problem at all with bullets jumping crimp. i use trailboss powders on the low end, hs-6 in the middle, and H110 on the higher end. got some great loads if ya want them.

Re: Question to all 454 reloaders out there... [Re: tradmark] #75103 09/29/2010 2:30 AM
Jared Offline
stranger
stranger
BBwheelgunner, thanks, it makes sense but I don't know why a 454 would have a different internal dimension from the 45LC. The full length sizing part makes absolute sense. I believe in the crimp die without question. I have had a 357 jump crimp and lock up my ruger blackhawk at the range, that sucked. I have also had 44s move until I went to the crimp die. Granted, it is an extra step, but I figure whether you are reloading on a progressive or single stage it doesn't take alot of time. If you find out about the 45LC dies and the internal diameter let me know, kind of curious. I am also excited for you to begin reloading 454 for your FA, it will give you a wallop I'm sure. Jared

Re: Question to all 454 reloaders out there... [Re: Jared] #75278 10/03/2010 10:04 AM
tcsteve Offline
stranger
stranger
BB,
I have been loading 454 for my Super Redhawk for about six years. I also load 45LC for the same. I use and highly recommend the Dillon carbide set. I use them for both calibers and they work perfectly. They have separate seat and crimp dies. If you don't use a Dillon loader you will also need a case mouth belling die. If you already do 45LC you have it. These dies internals are held with a clip at the top and drop right out for cleaning and changing the seating plug from round nose to flat point. They cost a tiny bit more and are worth every penny. I also recommend Starline brass, Hornady 240 XTP's and H-110 for the 454. I load just short of full power. It's more than enough. 45 LC is much more pleasant to shoot though.
Steve

Re: Question to all 454 reloaders out there... [Re: tcsteve] #75321 10/05/2010 12:53 AM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I use a Hornady die set,has the extra crimping die,anyway this set has loaded hundreds of rounds and I haven't had any problems,thats with cast and jacketed bullets.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Question to all 454 reloaders out there... [Re: johnwilliams] #75327 10/05/2010 9:17 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've been so busy I haven't ordered my new 454 dies yet but I'll probably go with Hornady but I also really like Redding and RCBS but Lee is hard to beat for the money. Right now I actually use a set of RCBS 45 Colt dies and they work fine. It's no different than using 38/357 or 480/475 dies but I would like to have an actual set of 454 dies so I don't have to keep adjusting my 45 dies back and forth.

Last edited by wapitirod; 10/05/2010 9:21 AM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Question to all 454 reloaders out there... [Re: wapitirod] #75594 10/10/2010 4:13 PM
Bisley Bud Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Hornady 4 die set works great for me and my 83!!!

Bisley

Re: Question to all 454 reloaders out there... [Re: Bisley Bud] #75971 10/16/2010 5:53 PM
BBwheelgunner Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Thanks for all the help guys, I decided to go with RCBS 3 die set, and a LEE factory crimp die. I loaded up some 240 grain xtp mags that are waiting for the arrival of the model 83. Seems to work well, the crimp die puts a beautiful heavy crimp on the case.called Freedom Arms and the said if they stay on schedule, it should ship out in about 3 weeks... pretty darn excited.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod