OP Offline
stranger
Post deleted by fpm

Re: New TC encore-questions [Re: fpm] #5951 12/20/2004 1:14 PM
Gary Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Congrats on the doe kill with the 357.

I always use a hand on the forend to shoot, as do most others, I believe. I'm not sure about the best place to get the rods but Kleen-bore makes a decent 15" rod that works on everything but the bolt guns. It would be fine to shoot the FMJ ammo in the tc but they may not be very accurate.

You can't wait any longer. Join the NRA and start writing your Congressmen and Senators.
Re: New TC encore-questions [Re: Gary] #5952 12/20/2004 6:01 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Congrats on the doe FPM, & welcome to the break actions. Sounds like you got a good setup, & sounds like you're jumping in with both feet.
OK Gary, you've got me wondering now. I have to admit, I've never shot my Contenders with a hand on the forearm. Always used standard two hand hold on the pistol grip(guess I live in my own little world).
So, a question. Do you use a "push pull" type grip, is your grip on the forearm "nuetral" as far as front to back pressure, etc... I've never seen anyone shoot them with a grip on the forearm other than the silly wett "taco hold" with rifle scopes. Of course I've only had one handgun hunting partner in my life & we both got into it at the same time with no coaching.
Come on guys, what else have I been missing!!!?

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: New TC encore-questions [Re: fpm] #5953 12/20/2004 7:40 PM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
cool....i had a 4 5/8" ss sbh a while back. i wish i woulda kept it, and set it up with a red dot scope for jump shootin deer once in a while. gotta get on em quick

sounds like yer on the way to a very nice setup. the .223 will be great. pretty cheap to shoot, accurate, and the blue dot powder loads are quite pleasant also.

i try to rest my forearm on something most of the time. i use all 14"-15" barrels though. i possibly could shoot total offhand(two hand grip hold) but it'd be really short range inside 100 yards.
i use a sling for carry, and also as a shooting aid. i do hold the forearm with my left hand in that manner.

i just use a rifle length cleaning rod on my TC's, but Dewey makes a 18" silhouette rod i believe. i think it would be the more handy rod for these handguns.
midwayusa, or midsouth shooter supply should have em. order you a master catalog online to these places. much easier to find what you're lookin for.......or stuff you NEED. ........or think you NEED

ya gonna scope them babies? i definately would myself

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: New TC encore-questions [Re: fpm] #5954 12/20/2004 11:59 PM
jim257 Offline
addict
addict
since i started with my encore,i usually hold the forearm in my left hand and grip in my right.this seems to work great for me,like kyode said,i usually try to get a rest whenever possible.also i added a sling to my gun and you can loop it around your arm and it steadies you up pretty good also.(to me the encore does not seem as natural to point as a revolver does)good luck ...jim257

get-r-done
Re: New TC encore-questions [Re: jim257] #5955 12/21/2004 12:28 PM
fpm Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the help, great web site. Yes I do plan on scoping the TC right away not sure about the SBH yet.

Re: New TC encore-questions [Re: fpm] #5956 12/21/2004 5:34 PM
VH308 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Congrats on the doe fpm.
Usually in hunting setups I use the tree to rest agianst( my climber faces the tree while hunting). If that was not an option for you I usually grab the forearm with my left hand. What I have found that works very well for me is a Polecat monopod walking-shooting staff. I have found that they give me much more stability than just offhand shooting. A push-pull type grip will also help with pulling off a steadier shot.

Last edited by VH308; 12/21/2004 5:36 PM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod