Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
6" Autoloader Scope recommendation #76087 10/19/2010 1:02 AM
myv6mustang Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,

I have been searching the internet and cant find anything. I wanted to know what you would recommend for a 6 inch autoloader pistol. I was looking for something with 2X zoom and that could stand the force of a 300grain 50AE round. The last two didn't fair to well. Since my barrel is only 6 inches i would need something that doesn't protrude over the front. I plan on getting a 10 inch barrel for it but not until a few months from now. I dont mind spending a bit of coin on something that's high quality. Thanks for the help.

Sam

Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: myv6mustang] #76107 10/19/2010 11:40 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Leupold is know for being able to handle the largest calibers. If you want something that is going to hold up to recoil I would at least look at one. I have had really good luck Burris’s as well.

I want to threw this out as well, have you considered a red dot? There are a few users on the forum that use them on there large bore revolvers. Just something to think about.

This might help as well...

Handgun Scope Specs

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: TCTex.] #76112 10/19/2010 1:20 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
Watch scope WEIGHT because if too heavy they slip in the rings.
Leupold would be my first choice for a scope.
I ruined a Burris 2X7 on my .44 SBH because it was too heavy and the tube too soft. I don't think they make that big club anymore so Burris might now be OK. The darn thing I have is as large as a rifle scope.
If you want something short, get an Ultra Dot or a straight 2X.

Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: TCTex.] #76115 10/19/2010 1:24 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
UltraDot. I have only one scoped repeater left, all others now wear dots, either tube or holographic style. For the distances that I expect to shoot with those guns, no magnification is necessary and dots are easier to see through in the early morning. The bonus is light weight and compact size.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: s4s4u] #76123 10/19/2010 3:06 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
430 I think they must have changed them. I have "5" 2-7's up and running and they haven't given me any problems. Mine are nice and compact as well. FWIW... LOL

With weight issue being brought up, (I didn't think of that one 430...) I would deff look at the ultradot!!!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: TCTex.] #76125 10/19/2010 3:15 PM
myv6mustang Offline OP
OP Offline
Ill give the ultra dot a look see. I was looking for a little bit of magnification because my eyesight aint what it used to be...at least a 2X will make things just a tad bigger. i was looking at their sight today. any benifits of a reflix sight over a scope other than field of view?

Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: myv6mustang] #76127 10/19/2010 3:40 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
It is like shooting with iron sights as were you can use both eyes to find your target.

Benjamin Franklin
Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: TCTex.] #76131 10/19/2010 4:55 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I know you are probably getting tired of hearing it, but I would go with the 30mm Ultradot. I've tried scopes & dots & will stick with the dots for my handguns.
My 30mm Ultradt 4 now has over 7 yrs on it & is still going strong.
The length would also be good on your gun.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: Vance in AK.] #76132 10/19/2010 5:25 PM
myv6mustang Offline OP
OP Offline
http://ultradotusa.com/ultradot_dist_2010_002.htm

With practice will i be able to take a 150-200 yrd shot if need be? I just want to make sure i have decent range. Using a 6 inch barrel but see a 10 inch barrel in my immediate future.

Which sight woud you choose from the link above?

Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: myv6mustang] #76134 10/19/2010 6:09 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: myv6mustang
http://ultradotusa.com/ultradot_dist_2010_002.htm

With practice will i be able to take a 150-200 yrd shot if need be? I just want to make sure i have decent range. Using a 6 inch barrel but see a 10 inch barrel in my immediate future.

Which sight woud you choose from the link above?

Reflex sights have a problem with adjustment range.
I have shot to 500 meters with an Ultra Dot 30mm. Had to aim very high at a tree branch.
The dot is easy to use and if it gets too large at long range, just use the bottom edge on top of the target.

Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: 430man] #76144 10/19/2010 8:13 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have the Ultra Four 30mm. About the only time I use anything other than the 4moa dot is when I am in realy thick brush in brown bear country. At that point I crank up the dot size so I can pick it up instantly in an "Oh crap" situation. Some lighting conditions it's nice to go up to 8moa dot & reduce the brightness, but that's more of a luxery than a necity.
Not sure if I would order the same thing again or get the straight 30mm with the single 4moa dot.

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: Vance in AK.] #76183 10/20/2010 3:39 AM
bobhanson1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have Leupold 2x's on both my .50AE and .44 Desert Eagles. The .50 wore a Leupold Gilmore for awhile, but the recoil of the slide kept taking chunks of glass out of the objective lenses. It also wrecked a Simmons Gold Medal 2-7. The Leupold 2x's hang just slightly over the end of the 6" barrel depending on what type of rings you're using (I have the MRI see throughs) but if I was going to do it again I would get one of the newer barrels with the full picatinny mounts cut in already, or get extra high Burris style Tactical mounts that have more bearing surface as the Leupold has slid in the weaver see throughs (may have been due to the mounting screws loosening slightly due to recoil/slide movement, but not positive.) Also be aware that depending on the load the .50 likes to put the empty brass right back up over the top of the rear sight so if the scope is mounted too far back it could jam, or if it's too close to the rear sight it may put the brass right into the lens of the scope/red dot. I like a red dot for the .44, but with the recoil and torque from the rotary bolt/slide coming back on a DE I'm not sure any of them can stand up to a .50 forever so you may want to consider periodic replacements! I've had the same Leupold 2x on my .50 for nearly 9 years and it won't likely wear anything else until that one breaks. A 10" won't dampen the recoil on the .50 all that much nor will it extend your range tremendously so if the 6" shoots decent I wouldn't waste the money (I sold both my 10" barrels and kept the 6" ones as they are lighter and handier to pack/shoot.

Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: bobhanson1] #76209 10/20/2010 3:35 PM
myv6mustang Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks. For the inputs...thats what happened to my pistol scope i had before. I hung over the front and was getting toasted by the muzzle blast...moved it back and shells were getting stuck in teh slide. This last time i shot it the bolts in teh rings striped right out of it. Guess i will save my money, i was thinking the 10" barrel would add to my range a little but guess not. What model leoupold are you using? Do you mind posting a pic of your setup becsue i have no idea what rings you are talking about. Thanks.

Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: myv6mustang] #76235 10/20/2010 11:45 PM
bobhanson1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast

Re: 6" Autoloader Scope recommendation [Re: bobhanson1] #76240 10/20/2010 11:53 PM
bobhanson1 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
The Leupold is the M8 2x EER (it's the older version of what they're calling the FX-II now.) You can usually find a gloss one for $150 or less in decent shape, but the matte finish ones are harder to come by if you care about such things. The little bit of overhang doesn't seem to affect the objective lens other than to cause a little powder residue build up on it. Magnum Research suggested using rubbing alcohol to clean the lens and it does a pretty decent job. The rings are Magnum Research see-through variety although with the way they're made you have to mount the turrets next to the rear mount to keep the scope as far back as possible which predisposes it to sliding in the rings. I used a little of the spray adhesive on the inside of the ring surface (someone on this site recommended it) along with loctite on the ring screws and it has stayed in place since. The rings are weaver style so they do leave marks on the scope tube if it manages to slide and when you put them on. I've used the set up for multiple deer in Minnesota without a hitch. I like the old CCI/Speer 325gr Unicore factory loads as they have the least tendency to jam as long as the gun is reasonably clean (the dirtier the chamber is the more likely a piece of brass will hang up under the scope.) PM me if you would like more info.

Last edited by bobhanson1; 10/20/2010 11:55 PM.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod