Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bullet recommendation for Russian boar #76521 10/25/2010 2:18 AM
Gman Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A few guys off another site and I are going hunting for Russian and razorback hogs in Tenn in January. I am planning on using my MOA in ,308 Winchester. Know these guys can be pretty mean especially if they have only been wounded. If I shoot one I want him to hit the ground and stay there! Any recommendations on bullets, size weight type etc.... would be greatly appreciated.
Harry

Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: Gman] #76523 10/25/2010 2:37 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
The Federal 180 gr. Trophy Bonded Tipped would be a great choice as would the Winchester XP3 load. Make sure to post your pics after the hunt. Good Luck!

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: Gman] #76526 10/25/2010 3:03 AM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

Most any good cup and core of 150 grains or so will work well at the velocity that you will get in the handgun barrel.

Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: jwp475] #76535 10/25/2010 8:58 AM
tradrick Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Gman, if you don't mind me asking. Where in Tenn. are you hog hunting? Is it a guided hunt or public land? I have been wanting to do a hog hunt for years and just have never pulled the trigger (pun intended). I'm thinking for 2011 its time to make that desire a reality. Good luck on your hunt.

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often
Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: Gman] #76541 10/25/2010 11:17 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
a standard 150gr spitzer should kill a hog harry. unless they are like 2000lbs er sumthin!

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: KYODE] #76548 10/25/2010 11:56 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
3rd vote for a 150...

What shoots well you of your 308??? That is what I would use!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: TCTex.] #76549 10/25/2010 11:58 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: TCMan

What shoots well you of your 308??? That is what I would use!

Exactly!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: Whitworth] #76612 10/26/2010 2:31 AM
KRal Online Content
Shootist
Online Content
Shootist
Three inches behind the ear and it won't matter what weight or caliber...;) but a 150gr behind the shoulder will work fine as well.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: KRal] #76631 10/26/2010 6:09 AM
Pasco Offline
addict
addict
Don't sweat bullet choice too much.
Hogs don't have much stamina when they incounter accelerated lead poisoning when compaired to deer.
Like TCMAN says, shoot what works.

Don't confuse shooting with hunting.
Shooting is a game, hunting is a sport.
Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: Pasco] #76640 10/26/2010 11:16 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Pasco
Hogs don't have much stamina when they incounter accelerated lead poisoning when compaired to deer.

I have respectfully disagree. I have seen hogs -- even smallish hogs, absorb an inordinate amount of lead and not concede defeat. Hogs will head into the thickest brush in sight and shift in to high gear. That said, each and every animal is a law unto itself.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: Whitworth] #76651 10/26/2010 12:55 PM
Chaos Offline
stranger
stranger
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

I have respectfully disagree. I have seen hogs -- even smallish hogs, absorb an inordinate amount of lead and not concede defeat. Hogs will head into the thickest brush in sight and shift in to high gear. That said, each and every animal is a law unto itself.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you sir. Yes a mis shot hog will run a Looooooong way, but when shot properly, they just dont put up any harder fight than a deer.

I live in west texas, smack dab in the middle of an area covered up in hogs. My two young sons, anchor more hogs than I care to try and keep up with. Most of the time, they use the diminutive 30-30 loaded with the el cheapo 150gr power points or a marlin 1894 with home cast 250 gr wheel weights.

I've taken hundreds of them myself with cast 44 loads. Hit them in the boiler room or behind the ear and they are either DRT or run aobut 30 yards.

Hell, I've taken a few with a 45 acp

Any hog that soaks up A lot of lead has simply been mis-shot

Chaos

Last edited by Chaos; 10/26/2010 1:00 PM.
Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: Whitworth] #76652 10/26/2010 12:58 PM
dc74 Offline
old hand
old hand
very true Whitworth i have seen hogs soak up lead from big cal guns.

shoot it if its still coming shot it again!!!
Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: Chaos] #76654 10/26/2010 1:32 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Chaos
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you sir. Yes a mis shot hog will run a Looooooong way, but when shot properly, they just dont put up any harder fight than a deer.

I live in west texas, smack dab in the middle of an area covered up in hogs. My two young sons, anchor more hogs than I care to try and keep up with. Most of the time, they use the diminutive 30-30 loaded with the el cheapo 150gr power points or a marlin 1894 with home cast 250 gr wheel weights.

I've taken hundreds of them myself with cast 44 loads. Hit them in the boiler room or behind the ear and they are either DRT or run aobut 30 yards.

Hell, I've taken a few with a 45 acp

Any hog that soaks up A lot of lead has simply been mis-shot

Chaos

The hogs in Texas must be a little light in the loafers.....LOL!

I too shoot a lot of hogs during the year. I use whatever it is that I am currently testing as far as calibers are concerned. Like I said, each animal is a law unto itself and I don't deal in absolutes, because there aren't any. I have seen many well hit (double lung) hogs (I necropsy all of them) shift into high gear and disappear. To make matters worse, they often don't leave much of a blood trail, and if they get into the briar, all bets are off.

Deer do have a great will to live, but in my experience they will sprint some distance and drop.

Not trying to be combative. But again, each and every animal reacts differently. I have had hogs and deer drop and never even twitch. Some run off a little ways, some attempt to leave the county, some just look at you funny, and some aren't too pleased and try to take it out on you. I have encountered all kinds of reactions, and they all differ. Now CNS shot is a different story altogether!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: Whitworth] #76661 10/26/2010 1:53 PM
jwp475 Offline
old hand
old hand

Hogs can and are killed quickly much of the time, but sometimes they will run even with massive damage.

I have posted this picture before, but it is relevant here as well. This hog was knocked down at the shot, got up and ran off into heavy Florida brush. Miraculously leaving no blood trail

Re: Bullet recommendation for Russian boar [Re: jwp475] #76690 10/26/2010 5:49 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
The 150 hog I shot with my Hoyt last night ran 200 yards and it was a textbook shot with very sharp broad heads. NO BLOOD!! Man did he bleed when I skinned him though…

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod