Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Armadillo Hunting/shooting #77237 11/02/2010 5:58 PM
gene r Offline OP
OP Offline
I don't know how many of you have this problem, but in the last couple of years the Armadillos have been migrating in to the lower part of SC. (Charleston area). We used to only see them in Georgia and Florida while traveling. They play havoc on the garden and lawn, and cattle farmers are having problems with their holes breaking the cattles legs.

Lately, I have been searching the property at night with a flash light and my S&W 617 and am quite successful from time to time. My wife finds it funny, dogs barking like crazy at night and me jumping up in my boxers with light in one hand and .22 revolver in the other.

SC has just leagelized the hunting of Armidillos, Coyotes and hogs at night. To prevent shooting deer, they stipulate that your light must be attached to your body (head lamp or belt light type) and use a handgun with a max barrell length of 8 1/2" and no optics.

Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: gene r] #77238 11/02/2010 6:05 PM
tyler.woodard04 Offline
addict
addict
sounds like a riot

Tyler

Finger Lakes NY

Handgun Hunting!!!
Interested in 2007
Hooked in 2009
Addicted in 2010
Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: tyler.woodard04] #77241 11/02/2010 6:15 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Here in Alaska we do the same thing... with brown bear

Just kidding
;\)

That does sound like fun! Guy could loose some sleep with a hobby like that. Of course about the third time in one night I hopped out of bed & came back with cold feet my normaly very understanding bride of 20 yrs might put a knot on my head!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: gene r] #77242 11/02/2010 6:17 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: gene r
... My wife finds it funny, dogs barking like crazy at night and me jumping up in my boxers with light in one hand and .22 revolver in the other....

Can we all just agree to NOT ask for pictures on this one? Hmmmm?

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: guitarpicva] #77248 11/02/2010 7:58 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: guitarpicva
... My wife finds it funny, dogs barking like crazy at night and me jumping up in my boxers with light in one hand and .22 revolver in the other....

Can we all just agree to NOT ask for pictures on this one? Hmmmm?

No arguments here
\:o

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: Vance in AK.] #77249 11/02/2010 9:31 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I've always considered them targets of opportunity. My Casull was quite effective on them!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: Whitworth] #77250 11/02/2010 10:33 PM
tradrick Offline
journeyman
journeyman
We have a good many of them here in Bama. I have fresh holes in my yard all the time. I've seen up to 4 in a grop at one time. I guess I need to put the old Ruger with red dot to work.

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often
Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: tradrick] #77253 11/02/2010 10:46 PM
jamesfromjersey Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Sounds like a good time...

Life member-NRA-SCI
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"
Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: gene r] #77265 11/03/2010 12:42 AM
gene r Offline OP
OP Offline
Haven't tried shooting them with any big bore guns yet, but the little .22 does them in real quick...........

Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: gene r] #77266 11/03/2010 12:46 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Haven't tried shooting them with any big bore guns yet, but the little .22 does them in real quick...........

I'm sure it does, but the big-bores are a whole lot of fun!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: Whitworth] #77277 11/03/2010 3:20 AM
Bob Roach Offline
old hand
old hand
I had one in my yard several nights this Summer. After Lucas my RottenWeiler got ahold of him about the 4th time, he moved. Lucas was getting the hang of bushwhacking him before he could get under one of the horse trailers parked in the yard.

I shot one with a 100 grain charge of 2F under a .535 round ball at Mountain Man Camp one year on Big Creek. You would never believe the size hole a 54 Hawkens Rifle will put in the off side of one.

As much time as I have spent in the woods this Summer and Fall, I figured I would have bagged 3 or 4 with the old 480. I have not seen a single one in the woods. For some reason they have gotten scarce around here this year. Squirrels are very few and far between also.

See You At The Range
Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: Bob Roach] #77342 11/04/2010 2:12 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
Some years ago, the Armadillo moved into Louisiana. It's arrival was gleefully welcomed by the native Cajuns who proceeded to stew, bake and fry every Armadillo they could kill, or catch. The salvation of this little beast was the discovery that the Armadillo is the only species, other than man, that can carry the Leprosy virus. Take the proper precautions if you are handling them.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: Sawfish] #77346 11/04/2010 2:51 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Sounds like great fun. The armored charlie of the south.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: Sawfish] #77347 11/04/2010 2:53 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Sawfish
Some years ago, the Armadillo moved into Louisiana. It's arrival was gleefully welcomed by the native Cajuns who proceeded to stew, bake and fry every Armadillo they could kill, or catch. The salvation of this little beast was the discovery that the Armadillo is the only species, other than man, that can carry the Leprosy virus. Take the proper precautions if you are handling them.

Evidently they are good eating. Haven't had the opportunity to try it. That they can carry leprosy is not very appetizing! Yikes!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: Tigger] #77356 11/04/2010 4:43 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: Tigger
Sounds like great fun. The armored charlie of the south.

Road Knights

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: guitarpicva] #77387 11/04/2010 11:20 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
From what I remember hearing, they carry it but it is a different strain and can’t pass it to humans.

There are SO many of them on the base down here it isn’t even funny.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: gene r] #77423 11/05/2010 3:03 PM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Here's a fun read....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/show...light=armadillo

Intruder in the night......
I step on to the front porch of my small cabin and listen for the noisy approach of my night time intruder. I step slowly from the front step and move silently down the path through the woods. In my right hand is my old 44, a Smith & Wesson model 29, loaded with 250 grain Keith style hard cast lead. In my left hand is my SureFire Defender light.

I move silently down the wooded path, my feet search for the soft earth in the center of the path, avoiding the rocks. I hear the rustle of leaves from my intruder as he moves slightly to my left. Is he trying to flank me? I stop and listen. I turn my head to better locate the direction of the sound. He is closer now, not moving away, he's here for a show down. My pulse quickens as I listen. Is he moving to better his position? I check my own position. I'm in the open pathway, no cover, my silhouette protected only by a dark row of cedars behind me. I am unable to move to cover without giving away my position. The darkness is my only concealment. How could I be so stupid? He is closer now I hear his every move, there, slightly to the left. No! In front of me! He is close, it is now or never, I must make my move.

The light is held high, above my head and out a little left, the big forty four comes up in one smooth easy motion, eye level. My left thumb punches the soft rubber cover on the light switch and a world of light beams before me. The kind of light for an actor on a stage, but where is the actor. The orange-red insert in the front sight picks up the light and is easy to see. It settles quickly in the rear notch. Where is he?

A second passes then two. There! Slightly to the left, I see his distinctive armored hump. The front sight settles in the middle of the hump, my right trigger finger already holding the trigger back more than half way. I steady the gun. The forty four barks in the still darkness. A flash of fire and the light shows the intruder. In just a fraction of a second, I see him go down and roll over as the shot echoes across the creek bottom. The threat is gone! I relax and move forward slowly with my spot light on his last position. A quick sweep to the left and right to check for his back-up. Nothing. I move in and find the big bullet has done its work. A gaping hole in the middle of the armored torso of my nocturnal intruder. One less armadillo, one more training scenario completed. Time for a cold one!

Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: TCTex.] #77434 11/05/2010 8:12 PM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: TCMan
From what I remember hearing, they carry it but it is a different strain and can’t pass it to humans

I had not heard that before. The only Leprosaurium in the lower 48 was at Carville, LA, and that was the supposed source of the original information. I say "was" because there has been some discussion about closing that facility due to the decline of the disease and lack of funding. I do not know if that ever happened. You could contact them for an update, or just cook up a few Dillo pies for your buddies, and see how they look in a few months.

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA
Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: Snyd] #77436 11/05/2010 8:50 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Snyd
Here's a fun read....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/show...light=armadillo

Intruder in the night......
I step on to the front porch of my small cabin and listen for the noisy approach of my night time intruder. I step slowly from the front step and move silently down the path through the woods. In my right hand is my old 44, a Smith & Wesson model 29, loaded with 250 grain Keith style hard cast lead. In my left hand is my SureFire Defender light.

I move silently down the wooded path, my feet search for the soft earth in the center of the path, avoiding the rocks. I hear the rustle of leaves from my intruder as he moves slightly to my left. Is he trying to flank me? I stop and listen. I turn my head to better locate the direction of the sound. He is closer now, not moving away, he's here for a show down. My pulse quickens as I listen. Is he moving to better his position? I check my own position. I'm in the open pathway, no cover, my silhouette protected only by a dark row of cedars behind me. I am unable to move to cover without giving away my position. The darkness is my only concealment. How could I be so stupid? He is closer now I hear his every move, there, slightly to the left. No! In front of me! He is close, it is now or never, I must make my move.

The light is held high, above my head and out a little left, the big forty four comes up in one smooth easy motion, eye level. My left thumb punches the soft rubber cover on the light switch and a world of light beams before me. The kind of light for an actor on a stage, but where is the actor. The orange-red insert in the front sight picks up the light and is easy to see. It settles quickly in the rear notch. Where is he?

A second passes then two. There! Slightly to the left, I see his distinctive armored hump. The front sight settles in the middle of the hump, my right trigger finger already holding the trigger back more than half way. I steady the gun. The forty four barks in the still darkness. A flash of fire and the light shows the intruder. In just a fraction of a second, I see him go down and roll over as the shot echoes across the creek bottom. The threat is gone! I relax and move forward slowly with my spot light on his last position. A quick sweep to the left and right to check for his back-up. Nothing. I move in and find the big bullet has done its work. A gaping hole in the middle of the armored torso of my nocturnal intruder. One less armadillo, one more training scenario completed. Time for a cold one!

Haha! That's great!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Re: Armadillo Hunting/shooting [Re: Whitworth] #77458 11/06/2010 3:40 AM
AmmoHouse Offline
I was born and raised in the back woods of South TEXAS...damn, I miss home.
Anyway, I played with Dillos all my life until I came in the Air Force.
They are very good eating, taste like pork.
They are very fun to shoot with your recurve and blunts.
They are very fun to stalk up on at night, grab them by the tails and pick them up off the ground...they have claws so hold them away from your body.
They are very fun to dump 5 of them in the cab of your buddies unlocked truck!!!!
I really do miss home!

I don't harvest animals, I kill them...I don't take a Combine hunting!!!

USAF AMMO Retired!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod