Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... #77392 11/05/2010 12:45 AM
asquires2 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I finally got my 243 Encore pistol together, gother to the range and feel in love with her, I couldnt miss my mark no matter what I did. (shooting from a bag). I took her out this weekend with my tripod and couldnt hit the broad side of a barn ( aggravating as hell!!!!!) My question to you guys is when shooting from a tripod/bipod do I rest the barrel,frame or the trigger guard on the shooting stick? Im also thinking about getting the bipod that attaches to the sling swivel. Any advice would be appreciated, I really wanna take her to the sticks with me this year but Im not for having a wounded animal running around either.

Re: Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... [Re: asquires2] #77396 11/05/2010 1:33 AM
jwarren Offline
I use a monopod with my Contender, resting the forearm in the rest. I use the Pach forearm, it is heavier and not as pretty as wood, but it seems to stay in the rest better without slipping around. I also slide my thumb on the hand that holds the monopod through the front of the trigger guard so that I can squeeze the gun to the rest for a more solid hold.

Remember, practice....practice....practice....your shooting will improve quickly.

It also helps to practice your hold while your are sitting around watching TV and I am sure that you are aware that you can practice dry firing the Encore without actually cocking it, by breaking it and closing to reset the trigger. Remember, make sure the gun is empty while doing the above.

Also, this free advice may be worth exactly what you paid for it.

Re: Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... [Re: asquires2] #77398 11/05/2010 1:38 AM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
First thing asquires2, don't get discouraged, you'll get it down pat. When using a tripod I always rest the frame, not the barrel. Shooting from the bench, as you know, is a lot different than shooting from sticks. Practice, and Practice some more. Concentrate on a smooth trigger squeeze. Remember man, if you can hit a pie/paper plate off the sticks you're ready to go bust a deer. Good luck buddy!

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... [Re: Franchise] #77399 11/05/2010 1:41 AM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
Am I repeating myself? practice practice practice and then find somebody to shoot with and practice some more. I started contenderizing deer twenty two years ago and it's still the most rewarding hunting that I do.

Re: Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... [Re: HoggHunter] #77406 11/05/2010 3:24 AM
asquires2 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
I practice holding steady while sitting around, I even go threw the motion of firing it ( I keep a spent shell in it ).Im also fighting with my eye release too. Im gonna whoop the Encore if its the last thing I do cause I know once I get her figured out its gonna be a beautifull thing! Im just curious were where should I rest the gun on the bipod and would a stud mount be better?

Re: Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... [Re: jwarren] #77408 11/05/2010 4:17 AM
runngun Offline
 Originally Posted By: jwarren
and I am sure that you are aware that you can practice dry firing the Encore without actually cocking it, by breaking it and closing to reset the trigger.... Also, this free advice may be worth exactly what you paid for it.

Nope, works like that for the original Contenders only, but not the G2's or Encores.

LOL

Re: Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... [Re: runngun] #77415 11/05/2010 1:47 PM
Tigger Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
First of all DO NOT dry fire the encore without a snap cap the tiny little fireing pin return spring will only take a few dry firings and give up the ghost. Usually having the firing pin sticking out of the frame and posible tying up the gun.

When I first got my encore I had somewhat of the same problem as you. What I discovered was that where you rest the gun makes a huge differanc on POI. If you are shooting from the bench and the whole forarm is resting on the bag it will recoil much differently as the gun resting on a narrow shooting stick back close to the frame. The encore is long and pivots with recoil along it's length. Where it rests is going to dictate where it pivots. So if you shoot from the bench, rest that part of the gun on the same area as you would the shoooting stixs. Get the pivot the same and POI should tighten up.

NRA Life Member

** NEVER! Moon a Werewolf!!**
Re: Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... [Re: Tigger] #77421 11/05/2010 2:41 PM
HECTER Offline
stranger
stranger
I SHOOT AN ENCORE IN 260 REM. I HAD A LARGE FLAT FOREARM MADE TO STABILIZE THE GUN AND IT SHOOTS MUCH BETTER. THE SMALL TAPERED FOREARM HAD TOO MUCH MOVEMENT FOR MY LIKEING. I HAVE EVEN SHOT DEER OFFHAND WITH THIS GUN. I THINK YOU COULD USE A RIFLE FOREARM AND MODIFY IT.

IF A SPLASH OF GAS WILL START A FIRE A GALLON WILL WORK BETTER.
Re: Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... [Re: HECTER] #77431 11/05/2010 6:27 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Try shooting off your pack from the prone position.
Describe your likely shooting position when hunting.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... [Re: Ernie] #77432 11/05/2010 6:29 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I would not use a barrel mounted bi-pod and never let the sticks be touching the barrel.
Dale did a great job of describing things!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... [Re: runngun] #77439 11/05/2010 9:28 PM
jwarren Offline
 Originally Posted By: runngun
 Originally Posted By: jwarren
and I am sure that you are aware that you can practice dry firing the Encore without actually cocking it, by breaking it and closing to reset the trigger.... Also, this free advice may be worth exactly what you paid for it.

Nope, works like that for the original Contenders only, but not the G2's or Encores.

LOL

Sorry 'bout that....feel like a fool giving out wrong info. Apparently I deal only in relics....course I'm old myself.

That is one of things that I like about my Contenders, I have used it alot.

Anyway, thanks for bringing me into the 21st century.

Re: Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... [Re: Ernie] #77451 11/06/2010 12:25 AM
asquires2 Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
 Originally Posted By: Ernie
Try shooting off your pack from the prone position.
Describe your likely shooting position when hunting.

Hunting I will either be in a treestand or on the ground. Most likely in a treestand. Rite now I have the Pac forearm on it but I might be looking into something with a wider base. The guns already heavy , a little more weight wont hurt nothing as long as it gets the job done. Im also using a sling to help steady the shot too. As for dry firing thats why I keep a spent cap in the gun, I was told from someone that you could pratice firing by dry firing it but I decided to put the spent round in it . Man I really want this to be my go to gun this year ! Back to the firing range!

Re: Hunting with my Encore Pistol..................... [Re: asquires2] #77455 11/06/2010 1:29 AM
dc74 Offline
old hand
old hand
good luck practice from all positions u will get better for sure.shoot from bench then try deff positions try it it helps

shoot it if its still coming shot it again!!!

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod