Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
California exotics? #77744 11/10/2010 6:09 AM
Troggy92 Offline OP
OP Offline
Has any of you ever hunted the Bighorn Canyon Ranch in Riverside Ca? If so what is your take? If I end up going it will be for Sheep/goat or "razorback" hog. Also of the exotics aside from pigs what is the best tasting meat? I was told Mouflon is good but I dont belive they are pure Mouflons. Thanks.

Re: California exotics? [Re: Troggy92] #77775 11/10/2010 9:40 PM
Franchise Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
If you can swallow any of the meat from any of the sheep species you are tougher than me. I have killed many exotics and the boar, antelope ( Blackbuck, & Nilgai), and large bovine species of exotics are good to eat. The goat is ok, but the sheep/ram is the worst wild game I've ever tried!

The Eyes are Useless, When The Mind Is Blind
Re: California exotics? [Re: Franchise] #77870 11/12/2010 1:41 AM
Sawfish Offline
veteran
veteran
The Bighorn Canyon Ranch (actually closer to Moreno Valley) is a fairly small place, but there are enough thickets and deep canyons to make the hunt interesting. We used to take a group of Junior Hunters out there every year to introduce them to hunting. They killed sheep, pigs and goats with an old 250/3000 Savage Model 99 that I brought along as a "loaner gun" for kids that did not have one. Just about every kill was made with one shot using the 100 gr. Winchester factory loading. Something to think about when contemplating an effective cartridge for your next handgun barrel.

It is not a high fence operation, and sometimes you will run up on a bruiser hog in the thickets. They seem to migrate over from the Beaumont and San Timeteo Canyon areas. Many years ago, I killed a Black Hawaiian Sheep on the Big Horn (with a 25/35 Win. RPM). That species is bred as a meat sheep in some of the Mediterranean countries, so I thought I would give it a try. The backstraps were not too bad as table fare. Nothing to compare with venison, but very edible. It will be a fun and fairly inexpensive experience.

PS Those are NOT pure Mouflons, and the price is a dead giveaway. From what I have seen, a purebred Mouflon (if you can find one) will set you back a minimum of $1,500 in Texas.

Last edited by Sawfish; 11/12/2010 1:47 AM. Reason: added PS

Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
Patron Member NRA;
Life Member RMEF, SCI, NSRPA, CRPA: Member, FTRF, HHI #7108, CBA

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod