Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cast Bullets #79113 12/01/2010 11:16 AM
tradrick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I finally got my reloading kit and am ready to start learning to make my own. I just purchased the cheap Lee Challenger kit to get me started to see how it goes. I've also got my dies, calipers, 2 reloading manuals, tumbler and media. I will be starting out on 38/357 rds. for my 686-3. And I am getting ready to order my componets. I have decided on CCI primers, Unique powder and am trying to decide on what bullets to order. I will be ordering from Powder Valley. And I have decided to stick with 158 gr. exclusively. Naturally for self defence or hunting I will order some Hornady XTP's. But for plinking and range time were FN,RN or the like will suffice. I'm having a hard time chosing. For jacketed bullets you have economical choices with Berry's and Zero (remember target pratice, trigger time). And then there is the cast bullet option that offers more bang for the buck. Can I shoot cast bullets exclusivley in my revolver without harming it? Or should I mix it up with both cast and jacketed? Just trying to shoot as much as possible for as little $ as possible. Should I stay away from cast bullets altogether? So I don't have to worry about leading. Please help.

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often
Re: Cast Bullets [Re: tradrick] #79117 12/01/2010 1:39 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Tradrick,

I shoot SWC's over Unique out of my 686 for plinking, trigger time and sharpening my skills. Fortunately I haven't experienced any significant leading issues, but the Unique isn't pushing them too hard out of my 6" barrel. (For the casters out there, I have no idea of the Brinnell hardness of these bullets). For my hunting loads, I'm running a 158 gr XTP over 296 - I haven't tried them over Unique, but I would prefer to run that bullet faster for consistent and reliable expansion.

IMO, if you choose to load with Unique exclusively, choose a WFN in 158 or 180 gr for your hunting needs in the 357.

Good luck!

Re: Cast Bullets [Re: tradrick] #79120 12/01/2010 2:55 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Should I stay away from cast bullets altogether?

Now yer thinkin' clearly ;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Cast Bullets [Re: SChunter] #79121 12/01/2010 3:06 PM
Wayne S Offline
stranger
stranger
I use a DW 357 MAX. for silhouette shooting and have used nothing but my own home brewed cast bullets for over 20 years with no ill effects.
If you can order the cast with the largest Dia. ie, .359 or .360 over .358.
If you use a lot of 38 Spl. cases you should clean the cylinders after every use or a little build up in the cylinder will hamper loading Mag. case loads.
As for home defence, Apt's I'ld use "glazer" loads, for Home then I'ld use factory loads like the Speer Gold Dot, Hornady XTP's ect. The key word is factory loads

Last edited by Wayne S; 12/01/2010 3:16 PM. Reason: add more info
Re: Cast Bullets [Re: Wayne S] #79124 12/01/2010 4:10 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Trad,

Considering a high percentage of folks here swear by cast, and another high percentage swear at cast, if you get posts specifically answering whether to avoid, this will become a VERY long thread.

With that said, I'll off my opinions which are hopefully void of any fanaticism. Cast are the cheapest in terms of actual cost of projectile. If you cast your own at some point, the cost can become really cheap. Cast can be a little harder to find an accurate combination. Not always but for me generally. But, it is a snap to find an accurate load with a bullet like LaserCast. Cast are somewhat smokey when shot, and will lead to more fouling on the exterior of the gun. Even if you get some leading in your barrel it is generally easy to remove. Once you get a system, you will find it takes less work to remove a little lead from your barrel than to remove all copper traces.

Cast can be a little tricker to reload, as you have to watch your flaring and seating, as you can get lube build-up in your dies. Cast requires a bit more hygene when reloading, as you will get lead on your fingers (gotta keep them outta your nose and mouth ;^) ).

I actually prefer, for plinking, plated bullets from Ranier. They are only a little more than Lasercast, and behave like jacketed bullets on all of the points above. None of the "messiness" listed above. I have found XTP's to be the most accurate jacketed bullet across the boards for me. Easy to find a combination that will shoot to the gun's potential.

But, when it comes to hunting, you would be doing yourself a large disservice to dismiss cast all together, for any reason. I would say the same about jacketed, to not even try would be doing yourself the same disservice. My reccomendation to a new shooter/reloader would be to start with jacketed bullets because these will get you to potential faster. Then if willing, try the proven cast bullets for lighter loads, like a lasercast or other reputable source. Then if you decide that cast "ain't so bad" try moving up to the premium for hunting. These will likley take the most amount of effort to get the right combination of pressure/hardness, but by then you will know if the joys of handloading are indeed joys, and you will be happy with your results.

And by all means set some time aside and go through the back pages here. You will soon learn the major points about cast, from folks who will give you both sides to help make a formative decision. If you hop on a cast board, you will find some folks who think you a moron for even questioning cast use, let alone not already casting for yourself. Not so much here. And if you broaden your purchasing locations some, you will soon find that from time to time you can get the cost of jacketed, plated and cast to be very competitive, by catching bulk specials and sales.

Craig

Northern born and Southern bred
Re: Cast Bullets [Re: Bearbait in NM] #79140 12/01/2010 11:38 PM
tradrick Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thank you all for some very helpful advice. I believe I will take baby steps and just settle on a good jacketed bullet starting out. Don't want to get overwhelmed trying to figure things out all at once. I have a job for that. And that defeats the purpose of having a hobby. Key word hobby. I'll learn the basic's first then go from there.

My decsion to use Unique was based off of noticing in my Hornady reloading manual I could use that powder for 38's or 357's. So I was trying to be cost effiecent by ordering one powder for both bullets. But, I guess instead of buying a 4lb. container of one powder I could buy 1lb. containers of 2 or 3 different powders and have some variety. Any suggestions?

Shoot Straight
Shoot Safe
Shoot Often
Re: Cast Bullets [Re: s4s4u] #79142 12/02/2010 12:05 AM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
Should I stay away from cast bullets altogether?

Now yer thinkin' clearly ;-)

To dismiss cast bullets outright is a mistake.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Cast Bullets [Re: Whitworth] #79147 12/02/2010 1:28 AM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I use Unique for about 90% of my handgun reloading, even some bottle necked rifle cartridges I shoot in Contenders. I also shoot cast bullets about 90% of the time. Having said that, I also keep a pound or two of 2400, W296, and H110 on hand as well as some jacketed bullets.

For a begining reloader, I think Bearbait gave you great advice.

Last edited by 1948ER; 12/02/2010 1:28 AM.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Cast Bullets [Re: Russell] #79174 12/02/2010 2:25 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: 1948ER
...Having said that, I also keep a pound or two of 2400, W296, and H110 on hand as well as some jacketed bullets...

2400 is a bit more flexible in the ability to adjust your MV than the H110 and W296 are. The latter two don't "load down" safely.

I use Unique and 2400 so far for my .44 mag. Trying to find a moderate (1100-1200 fps) load for hunting. As has been reported elsewhere though, I have issues with the revolver that I need to resolve first.

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: Cast Bullets [Re: guitarpicva] #79189 12/02/2010 8:22 PM
430man Offline
addict
addict
You mean that there are other bullets then cast out there????
What is the world coming to?

Re: Cast Bullets [Re: 430man] #79222 12/03/2010 6:35 PM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand

Yup, these new fangled things where they pound or inject lead into these condum like copper thingies. It is my understanding they are for reloaders who like to eat and smoke cig's while reloading. Gotta be safe, that lead will eventually give you the shakes if missused.....

Craig

Re: Cast Bullets [Re: Bearbait in NM] #79226 12/03/2010 7:42 PM
Whitworth Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: Bearbait in NM

Yup, these new fangled things where they pound or inject lead into these condum like copper thingies. It is my understanding they are for reloaders who like to eat and smoke cig's while reloading. Gotta be safe, that lead will eventually give you the shakes if missused.....

Craig

LOL!!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s

Re: Cast Bullets [Re: Bearbait in NM] #79244 12/04/2010 3:38 AM
wildcatter Offline
journeyman
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: Bearbait in NM
Trad,

Considering a high percentage of folks here swear by cast, and another high percentage swear at cast, if you get posts specifically answering whether to avoid, this will become a VERY long thread.

With that said, I'll off my opinions which are hopefully void of any fanaticism. Cast are the cheapest in terms of actual cost of projectile. If you cast your own at some point, the cost can become really cheap. Cast can be a little harder to find an accurate combination. Not always but for me generally. But, it is a snap to find an accurate load with a bullet like LaserCast. Cast are somewhat smokey when shot, and will lead to more fouling on the exterior of the gun. Even if you get some leading in your barrel it is generally easy to remove. Once you get a system, you will find it takes less work to remove a little lead from your barrel than to remove all copper traces.

Cast can be a little tricker to reload, as you have to watch your flaring and seating, as you can get lube build-up in your dies. Cast requires a bit more hygene when reloading, as you will get lead on your fingers (gotta keep them outta your nose and mouth ;^) ).

I actually prefer, for plinking, plated bullets from Ranier. They are only a little more than Lasercast, and behave like jacketed bullets on all of the points above. None of the "messiness" listed above. I have found XTP's to be the most accurate jacketed bullet across the boards for me. Easy to find a combination that will shoot to the gun's potential.

But, when it comes to hunting, you would be doing yourself a large disservice to dismiss cast all together, for any reason. I would say the same about jacketed, to not even try would be doing yourself the same disservice. My reccomendation to a new shooter/reloader would be to start with jacketed bullets because these will get you to potential faster. Then if willing, try the proven cast bullets for lighter loads, like a lasercast or other reputable source. Then if you decide that cast "ain't so bad" try moving up to the premium for hunting. These will likley take the most amount of effort to get the right combination of pressure/hardness, but by then you will know if the joys of handloading are indeed joys, and you will be happy with your results.

And by all means set some time aside and go through the back pages here. You will soon learn the major points about cast, from folks who will give you both sides to help make a formative decision. If you hop on a cast board, you will find some folks who think you a moron for even questioning cast use, let alone not already casting for yourself. Not so much here. And if you broaden your purchasing locations some, you will soon find that from time to time you can get the cost of jacketed, plated and cast to be very competitive, by catching bulk specials and sales.

Craig
NOT ONCE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING! And good cast aint cheap, unless you cast your own! Cheap jackets don't usually give stellar results either! All day long!

Re: Cast Bullets [Re: wildcatter] #79248 12/04/2010 5:17 AM
Bearbait in NM Offline
old hand
old hand
Wildcatter,

Your points are correct, once you know what you are doing. as the op said he was new to the game, it seemed logical to help him avoid the pitfalls of premium lead. One thing for sure, if you cannot get an XTP to shoot accurately, then there is a kink in your reloading or shooting, and if you have access to a chronograph that can point to either, usually. I did mention Lasercast bullets, as historically I have had pretty good luck getting those to shoot well with very little effort. But these bullets tend to have slightly less applicability in a hunting discussion, although my wet print tests with 250 grain .452 rnfp's at mid level velocities sure looks like these would play heck on medium size game.

I hear you on the cost of premium lead. I laid in very large supply of Cast Performance and Beartooth bullets about 10 years ago. About 3 years ago I decided to top of the pile. Bout had a coronary.........

Craig

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 58 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod