Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. #79160 12/02/2010 5:22 AM
punkinslinger Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
My only son just turned 18, and he has been hinting "Rifle" for Christmas, with that being said, we have never been on an actual go "Somewhere new hunt together". For the most part we have always been able to drive 20 miles or less to do our hunting. But I did mention that I would like to try the HHI antelope hunt with him, and that he would have to hunt (or get to hunt) with a hand gun and that he could use one of mine.

So here's the question, do I listen to his request for a long gun, (he has access to all my guns when ever he would like,long and short, but has nothing to call his own) and let him get into handgunning on his own, or get a handgun (single shot) and hope he enjoys it as much as I do? Just so you know he is not the most patient hunter in the world.

The good Lord gives us "Life" a "Window Of Opportunity" what we do with this opportunity, defines who we are and what we become.
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: punkinslinger] #79162 12/02/2010 7:53 AM
zac0419 Offline
I say if he's into hunting and outdoors at 18 get him what he wants. I've come full circle in the last 15 years from AR's and Glock's to bolt's, lever's, and wheel's. Let him chase the hobby on his own, be thankful he's doing it. I'm betting before too long your interest will merge. JMO

Zac
CO
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: zac0419] #79163 12/02/2010 9:09 AM
sneekers45 Offline
stranger
stranger
First shotgun, 410, of my very own was at age 12.
dad had me shooting 22's for a couple years earlier.
first 22 handgun of my very own, I was around 14 or 15.
He's definately old enough considering if he acts responsibly.
I get him whatever he prefers.

If your reading this, thank a teacher. If your reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: sneekers45] #79167 12/02/2010 11:17 AM
Mike S Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Be Thankful he wants to hunt .
He asked for a Rifle please listen to him.
And This will work out better in the long run !
Mike
P.S. Buy a New SA for yourself and give it to him later

Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: Mike S] #79173 12/02/2010 2:19 PM
wyote Offline
addict
addict
Why not ask him if he would like an encore rifle. If so buy the action as a pistol and let him pick and choose what grips, stock, barrels he would like to have.

Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: wyote] #79175 12/02/2010 2:32 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: wyote
Why not ask him if he would like an encore rifle. If so buy the action as a pistol and let him pick and choose what grips, stock, barrels he would like to have.

Did BATFE ever make a firm determination on whether you can legally switch back and forth between pistol and rifle on a Contender/Encore frame? Last I heard, the frame was designated as either a pistol or rifle at the time of purchase.

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: guitarpicva] #79176 12/02/2010 3:02 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Did BATFE ever make a firm determination on whether you can legally switch back and forth between pistol and rifle on a Contender/Encore frame?

This topic has been beaten to death, and some agents don't even know the law. I do have a copy of a letter received from BATFE which states this answer to that question - Once a rifle it must remain a rifle, regardless of whether it was a legal pistol at any time.

Fox Ridge used to sell a "Carbine Kit" which they claimed was exempt from the ruling. And, I have heard from others that it is okay to go back and forth as long as it started as a pistol. All I know for sure is what I saw in black and white, and that said NO!

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: s4s4u] #79180 12/02/2010 3:40 PM
GlennS Offline
old hand
old hand
Take him out and have him shoot yours and see if its his thing or not.....GS

"Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: GlennS] #79192 12/02/2010 8:36 PM
Walkingthemup Offline
addict
addict
Buy him the rifle (or give him the money to buy his own). The worst mistake we parents make is to force our preferences on our kids. They are their own people and need to make their own decisions, choices and responsibilities. If he wants to be outdoors and enjoy hunting then that's fantastic. Be very happy he is already on the right path.

Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: Walkingthemup] #79194 12/02/2010 9:33 PM
wheeler45 Offline
addict
addict
I have been teaching Hunter Education and 4H Shooting Sports for many years. Success breeds interest while failure breeds discontent. Hitting with a rifle will encourage him, while missing with a handgun will discourage him. I suggest buying him a nice light caliber rifle, e.g. .243 with a good scope. If you have a rimfire handgun, allow him to shoot it. Let him progress at his own pace as this is an important juncture.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil. 4:13
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: wheeler45] #79197 12/02/2010 10:47 PM
Cruiser Offline
stranger
stranger
I agree with everyone else but it wouldn't hurt to ask him to make sure. I know it ruin the surprise but he may not have even thought of getting a handgun.

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything,
But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: Cruiser] #79200 12/02/2010 11:24 PM
HoggHunter Offline
addict
addict
I have to agree- but i am different from lots of what you read here, I have rifles, and shotguns and pistols(if you don't understand, then google steve lee and listen/to his new video- that's me when i was younger- my guns will go to my kids and their kids- but for now give them something that they want- for whatever reason they happen to want it- if you show tolerance and respect for their viewpoints, there is a very good chance they will have toleraance for yours. My eldest lives 12 hours away and I would gladly spend the day shooting rifles or slingshots if that's what I had to do to spend just one more day with her! we are so fortunate to live in a situation where we don't have to "only have one"

Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: punkinslinger] #79205 12/03/2010 1:06 AM
ZX10man Offline
stranger
stranger
punkin - Got the teeshirt. When I was about the age of your son I wanted my own car. I did not want to use my parents car or truck.

Get him the long gun. He will come back later for the short guns. You said he is not the most patient hunter in the neighborhood. Go long gun for now. Did the same deal with my son. He now uses a 6.5 JDJ and is working up a 300 Whisper.

Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: ZX10man] #79208 12/03/2010 1:43 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Absolutely get him what he wants (or has been suggested the $$$ for him to buy it himself).

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: wheeler45] #79209 12/03/2010 2:52 AM
badkitty Offline
How about getting him an Encore RIFLE for Christmas, and then grips and handgun barrel when his birthday roles around!

When in doubt, empty the magazine!
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: badkitty] #79211 12/03/2010 3:17 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: badkitty
How about getting him an Encore RIFLE for Christmas, and then grips and handgun barrel when his birthday roles around!

Don't let the rules get in the way of a good game now ;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: ZX10man] #79212 12/03/2010 3:37 AM
punkinslinger Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
 Originally Posted By: ZX10man
punkin - Got the teeshirt.

What T-shirt?

Thank you for all the replies, pretty much what I was thinking. You can lead a horse to water,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The good Lord gives us "Life" a "Window Of Opportunity" what we do with this opportunity, defines who we are and what we become.
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: wheeler45] #79213 12/03/2010 5:44 AM
bluecow Offline
old hand
old hand
get the rifle. dont push him your way, let him walk his own path

Everything before "but" is B.S.
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: bluecow] #79223 12/03/2010 7:04 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Exactly!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: cfish2] #79227 12/03/2010 8:34 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I would go with a 243 Win, 250 Savage, and maybe a 260 Rem in a rifle. Set him up with some decent glass, and then do your best to help him be successful.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: Ernie] #79228 12/03/2010 9:14 PM
gene Offline
I would say that he is his own man now. talk to him and let him decide. I am sure he has grown up around guns and being responsible. Talk to him and let him go on his own journey.....

Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: gene] #79250 12/04/2010 11:10 AM
wildcatter Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Someone said earlier, and I agree, get him an encore, in both. I'd get him the mid caliber, like 243 or 25/06, serve all and let him have at it. But buy it as a pistol, with a 243 barrel or if you think a lot of varminting will be done with it, a 223, and if he small game hunts a 22 RF is cheap practice and always usable, the whatever rifle cal. he is wanting, adds about 250 buck's and he gets the best of both worlds!! A lot of options, let him set his own course! He will be more likely to explore other avenues this way. Just my 2 bits.

Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: wildcatter] #79256 12/04/2010 4:01 PM
Mike S Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
After all this, WHAT Does HE WANT ?
IF he has asked for something special then buy that for him !
Dont get him something he DOESENT want.
He wont be Happy with it.
If he has given some leway, Then Talk to him about what HE Wants
and go from there.
Mike S

Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: wheeler45] #79313 12/06/2010 12:32 AM
Anniex Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
My two cents...I hunted with a close friend that handgun hunted and I didn't. I decided I wanted to as well. He left me to learn, ask a lot of questions, put my hands on different guns, and decide on my very own. I wouldn't have learned near what I have, if he had just handed me one and said do this. I couldn't be happier with "my" choices!

Ann
HHI # 8353

"Life's tough....It's even tougher if you're stupid"
~John Wayne~

Re: Handgun Hunters & Parents I would like your input. [Re: s4s4u] #79342 12/06/2010 2:01 PM
guitarpicva Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: s4s4u
 Quote:
Did BATFE ever make a firm determination on whether you can legally switch back and forth between pistol and rifle on a Contender/Encore frame?

This topic has been beaten to death, and some agents don't even know the law. I do have a copy of a letter received from BATFE which states this answer to that question - Once a rifle it must remain a rifle, regardless of whether it was a legal pistol at any time.
...And, I have heard from others that it is okay to go back and forth as long as it started as a pistol. All I know for sure is what I saw in black and white, and that said NO!

That's also what I remembered. My personal thinking is G2 for pistol and Encore for rifle....but then that's just me.

As for the OP's question, I also agree to buy him what he wants, IF that's really what he wants. Talk it over and make a smart decision together (that's what dads are for!), perhaps with the promise that if he tries the pistol and it doesn't come together, then a rifle is in his future (funds permitting of course). It was mentioned that he may be a bit impatient...testosterone will do that to a guy!
\:D
A patience-building pistol decision might be in order, again, if he is willing to go along with the "project".

My dad handed me two things when I was about that age. One, a manual 35mm camera that I had to figure out how to use and two, a .45 caliber Kentucky long rifle caplock. I still hunt ML 25 years later, and I have always pursued my photography passions as well. In my case, however, I hadn't asked for either, he just saw the opportunity and took it. You know your son probably better than he knows himself, so advise and suggest and the worst outcome is you have to buy a rifle later and keep another pistol for yourself.
\:D

guitarpicva |||||| [o] VA
AC4IY
...How long will you go limping between two different opinions?
If the LORD is God, follow him; ... 1 Kings 18

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 66 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod