Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question about registering handguns. #79184 12/02/2010 5:29 PM
minnesotahunter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
If you buy a pistol from a private owner, do you have to register it with an FFL? I'm sure some people buy, sell and trade guns all the time, and I doubt they register every one.

Thanks
Just want to stay on the right side of the law.
MN

Re: Question about registering handguns. [Re: minnesotahunter] #79187 12/02/2010 5:52 PM
tinkerer Offline
journeyman
journeyman
AFAIK, only if required by State or local ordinance. No federal law requiring registration for private sale.

Larry
Tinkerer

Re: Question about registering handguns. [Re: tinkerer] #79188 12/02/2010 7:30 PM
RioHondoHank Offline
addict
addict
Actually the background check required for a gun purchase is not registration. The ATF does not get the information on the gun purchased. That info stays with the dealer. Of course with a new gun it is traceable from the
manufacture to the dealer to the purchaser. But if you buy a used gun from a dealer there is no way to trace it short of going thru every dealers records in the country.

Hank

Re: Question about registering handguns. [Re: minnesotahunter] #79198 12/02/2010 10:52 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If you sell a handgun to an individual it is in your best interest that they have a P2P or P2C (MN) and also get their DL number. Scratch out a bill of sale with the gun's serial number on it and have them sign it, along with their name and address, and number from the DL. A photocopy of the DL and permit(s) would be even better, write the purchase agreement on the photocopy. This way if the gun is/was used in a crime prior/after the sale you have your assets covered. I would expect the same when purchasing.

This is not required by law, unless you are a dealer.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Question about registering handguns. [Re: s4s4u] #79215 12/03/2010 9:31 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
only if it's across state lines does it have to go to a ffl first so if you buy one on line from one of us not in mn then yes unless like previously stated there is a state or local ordinance but what is a good idea to do is get the serial # and call local law einforcement. I know here in OR you can call the state police and they'll tell you within a minute or two if the gun is stolen.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Question about registering handguns. [Re: wapitirod] #79224 12/03/2010 7:08 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Definately CYA when transferring any gun these days. I have sold several handguns over the past 5 years and have made the folks I sold them to bring me a handgun permit from their county sheriff. You can never be to safe.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod