Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Exciting deer season #79864 12/17/2010 1:58 PM
johnnyG Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
This year was my first out with my SRH 454 and was by far the best fun i had in years. Although i missed two deer with it i had a blast trying to stalk close enough to get within range, crawling on my stomach through the snow was great. I was busting milk jugs at 50yrds with regularity with the irons so that was my targeted range, still missed the two i shot at. Guess my nerves got the best of me, should have taken my time with the shot but i rushed it and i'm pretty sure i shot under them both times. Cant wait till next year, i'm deffinately hooked now! Maybe she'll be wearing an Ultra Dot from Santa next year,(hint,hint to my wife)! Hope you all had as much fun as i did this year.

There is no stopping a man who is in the right and keeps on comming.
Re: Exciting deer season [Re: johnnyG] #79886 12/18/2010 12:43 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Give yourself a big pat on the back for trying, johnny. No worries, we have all been there done that and will again if we keep hunting!

As s4s4u said in a recent post "there's lots of room around 'em!"
;\)

Re: Exciting deer season [Re: Gregg Richter] #79905 12/18/2010 4:06 AM
zac0419 Offline
Some of the best advice I got here on this forum was to practice shooting from any and all positions you could think of. Trying to cover all possible field conditions. Wouldn't you know it the deer must have been watching me practice because it found about the only thing I hadn't thought of, worked out ok for me, got my deer. Easily could've gone the other way.

Only 11.5 months to plan and practice. We all better get started!!

Zac
CO
Re: Exciting deer season [Re: zac0419] #79921 12/18/2010 5:18 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
Maybe get a trigger job on it or replace with a Wolff reduced spring kit yourself,a better trigger makes all the difference in the world,I can relate to letting your nerves get the best of ya.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Exciting deer season [Re: johnnyG] #79970 12/19/2010 4:15 PM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Way to go JohnnyG
With your attitude you will do well. Haveing fun is what its all about. A miss isn't the end of the world,it's a learning experience.When you raise your head to watch them fall [no follow thru] you usually shoot under them.[I've been guilty of that one,has anyone else?] Hair in the sights is different than plastic, and horns will double the adrenalin rush. Learn to control that rush [until after the shot],then let it go. Welcome to the world of handgun hunting.

junebug

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 89 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod