Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thompson Center Contender question #79940 12/18/2010 8:19 PM
Warren Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Serval years ago I shot someone's Thompson Center Contender in 44 mag with a 10" barrel. I remember it being a great shooter and told myself that someday i would like to have one. Do they still make the 10" anymore? The shortest I can find on the Tc web site is 12"?
The other question I have is about ear protection. I've hunted with a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag and a Blackhawk in 357mag and they both hurt my ears. Does the contender in 44mag with a 10" or 12" barrel hurt any less? Could I use it for deer hunting without ear protection?
Thanks
Warren

Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: Warren] #79941 12/18/2010 8:33 PM
Okie Hunter Online Happy
old hand
Online Happy
old hand
TC no longer makes the 10 inch barrel. If you look around you might be able to find a used one. IMO the Contender is quieter than the SBH because of the cylinder gap. These two guns have accounted for most of the wild hogs I have taken.

With God all things are possible. Matt.19:26
Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: Okie Hunter] #79942 12/18/2010 9:03 PM
500WE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
NO, NO, NO !!!! Never fire any handgun without hearing protection, even when hunting! It takes only a second to slip plugs in when hunting. I use both plugs and muffs on the range, and even at that, I have hearing loss. It's painful to not be able to hear what your grand daughters say!

Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: 500WE] #79946 12/19/2010 12:03 AM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Originally Posted By: 500WE
NO, NO, NO !!!! Never fire any handgun without hearing protection, even when hunting! It takes only a second to slip plugs in when hunting. I use both plugs and muffs on the range, and even at that, I have hearing loss. It's painful to not be able to hear what your grand daughters say!

X's 2.....although I don't have any grandchildren yet. Every time you shoot without protection, hearing loss occurs and can never be regained again!

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: KRal] #79950 12/19/2010 2:31 AM
Warren Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I understand about the hearing loss.
I was wondering how the muzzle blast of a Contender 44 mag with a 10" or 12" barrel compared to a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 7.5" barrel.
When I'm shooting at a whitetail with my Marlin 35 Rem. with a 18" barrel my ears don't hurt but under the same conditions my ears are ringing after shooting my Ruger.
When hunting deer in N.Y. you don't always have the time to put on ear protection, those few seconds could cost you a shot at the deer.

Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: Warren] #79957 12/19/2010 6:51 AM
RioHondoHank Offline
addict
addict
 Originally Posted By: Warren

When hunting deer in N.Y. you don't always have the time to put on ear protection, those few seconds could cost you a shot at the deer.

You should put your ear plugs in when you load your gun, not wait till you see a deer. I have found that the purple foam plugs they sell at Wal-Martt in the pharmacy section to be more comfortable and easier to use than the orange ones in the sporting goods section. They are softer and will remain compressed longer so you can more easily insert them in your ear.

Don't even think about shooting without at least ear plugs and when at the range it is a good idea to wear muffs. I use amplified muffs that enable me to hear what people are saying, but shut down load sounds.

Hank

Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: RioHondoHank] #79959 12/19/2010 7:57 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
If your worried about not having enough time to put in hearing protection then use Walkers Game ears or his hearing aid style units. I use the power muffs and they work great I used them elk hunting this year with my 300 Win Mag Encore barrel with brake adn I never heard anything louder than a cap gun.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: wapitirod] #79961 12/19/2010 2:04 PM
RickyP Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
2X on the game ears. I have a set and when ever I load my gun I put them on. They take some time to get use to and during the warmer hunts they get a little hot. but it is well worth it.
I can hear my self walking in the woods so when I have them on I am more aware of my steps and it makes me more quite. I have heard lots of deer walking up to me (but not always) and after the shot I normaly can hear the deer fall and moving around. it is a good way to know when the deer is down and about where it is.

Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: RickyP] #79984 12/19/2010 8:04 PM
Shortgun Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
X3 on the hearing protection
My ears ring constantly, growing up on a farm around tractors and machinery
plus the fact that I've been a locomotive engineer for 30+ years have really taken a toll. I have lost alot of my high frequency hearing.
I never shoot, use any power tool, lawnmower, chainsaw, etc. or leave the Railroad yard office without proper hearing protection.
Take care of your hearing and wear protection!!!

Shortgun

HHI # 8338

Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: Shortgun] #79990 12/19/2010 11:21 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I 've been considering those ear muffs,its good to hear from someone who's been using them to see if there any good.

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: johnwilliams] #80003 12/20/2010 2:14 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I use ear muffs all the time when hunting now,without them, by the time I hear a deer they are on top of me. Even in dry leaves.
A life spent with skill saws and hammers and firearms took a large part of my hearing. YOU NEVER GET IT BACK !!!!So yes get a pair of muffs or plugs and wear them ,always .Unless you want to hear crickets and a loud ringing 12 months of the year,and not be able to hear your grandkids,or a friend speak your name softly .A .22 is almost as hard on you as a big bore so don't think its only a 22 and it will be ok,it's not. I have never had muffs cost me a shot at a deer, but if I ever do It will be worth it.

junebug
Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: junebug] #80026 12/20/2010 2:51 PM
Warren Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thank you all for taking the time to reply.
I understand the need for ear protection. I have a pair of electric ear muffs but I find them inconvenient to use while sitting on post all day.
When hunting with a long gun I don't bother with ear protection. I have never seen a rifle hunter wearing them while in the field.
So my question is - is there a substanial difference in the muzzle blast of a 44mag out of a 7.5" SBH verse a 12" Contender?
If I was hunting with a 44mag in a rifle I don't think I would be wearing ear muffs.

Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: Warren] #80033 12/20/2010 3:16 PM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
Warren,

"substantial difference", NO the peak dB (decibels) are well within the range to damage your hearing. As Junebug states, even a 22 can cause damage. It's a give and take; however, if you ask most of the experienced gunners on this list ( if they could hear you! ) we would have probably worn hearing protection when younger, IF we would have known. I remember shooting the 30-30 in the gravel pit and having my ears ring for up to 2 weeks following. Now, I have a high frequency loss and can't hear anything if there is background noise. It comes to this, protection NOW or hearing aids later.

Doc

Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: doc with a glock] #80035 12/20/2010 3:23 PM
SChunter Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
Amen to all that suggest hearing protection! I use the Walkers Power Muffs to provide protection - hunting with handguns got me into using them in the field, and now I use them when hunting with rifles as well.

I still prefer to keep them up on my head and slide them into position when I see/hear game approaching - it doesn't take but a second, and after a recent hearing screen, it appears that I should have been using them a long time ago!

Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: SChunter] #80036 12/20/2010 3:49 PM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Huh, were you talking to me?

Yeah I say that a lot. Too many years standing in front of a base guitar amp, working around farm machinery, working in a factory and shooting without proper hearing protection.

In answer to your question I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell the difference in muzzle blast from a 7 1/2" .44 Revolver to a 10" to 12" T/C Contender. Either is going to be loud.

I too HATE wearing hearing protection when hunting, but sure wish I would have started way back when I first starting hunting with handguns. I probably wouldn't say HUH as much as I do now.

As has been stated once your hearing is damaged it can not be repaired without the use of hearing aides. Speaking of hearing aides if we are going to eventually end up wearing them we might just as well be wearing hearing protection now.
Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: Larry in SD] #80060 12/20/2010 11:19 PM
Mark Hampton Offline
old hand
old hand
Warren, Double-ditto on what others have said regarding hearing protection. Also, I have a stainless 10 inch 44 Contender I'd sell. If interested, send me a PM.
Best of luck,
Mark Hampton

Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: Warren] #80065 12/21/2010 2:33 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
Does the contender in 44mag with a 10" or 12" barrel hurt any less?

Well, you've had the lecture about ears. Now, to your question. Yes, a Contender will shoot "quieter" than a revolver for reason(s) already pointed out and the longer the barrel on that T/C, the "quieter" it will be. Accuracy will generally improve as well. I find larger bores to be "quieter" than smaller bores, the .357 Mag is about the worst. I hunt on the move in the bush and you can't always use protection, you just can't. My woodswalkers are 45 caliber and larger as they are "quieter", but none are QUIET

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: s4s4u] #80070 12/21/2010 3:29 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
No you can't wear hearing protection for every shot you take.A 1265 lb angus bull and 6 9mm rds taught that lesson, he won the battle I won the war. But I can't think of one time hunting when muffs would have gotten in the way .Electronic muffs don't just help people with bad hearing they enhance good hearing too. I can't imagine anymore how much they would enhance good hearing,
its been so long since i've had it.I only discovered a few years ago that birds still sing in the morning.Bottom line, don't loose what you have ,I love hunting and shooting and live to hunt, but no deer elk or any animal, except my family and friends is worth losing one decible of hearing over . p.s. sorry
about the long rant but if you could hear the loud ring in my ears 24=7 you would understand.

junebug
Re: Thopmson Center Contender question [Re: junebug] #80072 12/21/2010 3:44 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
if you could hear the loud ring in my ears 24=7 you would understand

Been there since my late teens, I think it started with a Nazareth concert in '79, that was insane loud. Playing drums in a metal band for a decade thereafter progressed it some perhaps. Having a carpenter for a father provided the early intro as I apprenticed since age 9 or 10. The sombre booom of the 45LC is music to me. I cannot wear hearing protection for any long period as the silence is deafening.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod