Next Thread
Print Thread
Predator Hunting #80751 01/02/2011 6:37 PM
Anniex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Happy New Year Everyone
I have been invited to predator hunt in 3 different places..mainly for coyote. They have been affecting the deer population, especially on a friends farm of 8000 acres. He says by as much as 50%. This season they watched more than once, a coyote take down a deer.
I have been reading on the internet. But any tips, tactics, suggestions all y'all may have ... I would really appreciate.
Yeah man...something to keep hunting with my T/C G2 7x30

Ann
HHI # 8353

"Life's tough....It's even tougher if you're stupid"
~John Wayne~

Re: Predator Hunting [Re: Anniex] #80756 01/02/2011 7:22 PM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My advice is don't go!
;\)
It can really become an addiction/affliction. One of the worst! You'll spend lots of money on calls, hand and electronic, guns, camo, and assorted 'goodies'. There's no end to it once you start. You'll find yourself watching for good places to call while driving down the road. Your constant campanion will be a lanyard of calls hanging around your neck. It's awful!!!

Seriously you have two of the three things it takes to get started, a place with coyotes, a gun you're familar with and can shoot. Now all you need is a call(s). I called in my first coyote in 1964 with an Ott's closed reed rabbit squaller and shot him with an open sighted .22lr, wearing Levi's, a Carhart coat, and a old red, cordarory (sp) cap with earflaps. Today, the back seat of my pickup has two lanyards full of handcalls, 3 sets of shooting sticks, insulated and uninsulated coveralls, snow camo, grass camo, 2 e-callers and usually a shotgun and a centerfire rifle/handgun.

The three most important things in all of that is 'none'. What's important is 1)wind direction, 2)sun, and 3)control your movements. Coyotes hunt by smell, hearing, and eyesight. Fool those, and you've got him shot.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Predator Hunting [Re: Anniex] #80757 01/02/2011 7:36 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
One of the key things is having a solid field rest to shoot off of.
Other than that, if others are calling, just to keep your movement to a minimum.
have a great time.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Predator Hunting [Re: Ernie] #80761 01/02/2011 9:27 PM
bigbore442001 Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Fifty percent? New York State just came out with a new study on the eastern coyote. How about 94 percent.

One method that is gaining popularity here in New England is using a bait pile. We also make meat cicles for them.

Re: Predator Hunting [Re: bigbore442001] #80762 01/02/2011 9:29 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
We have been taking them off the Navy base down here with electronic calls. They were so over populated that the buggers were starting to kill pets off the base.

I was REALLY lucky last night. I got a 200lb sow at 5:25 and a nice Coyote at 5:40 with my bow. I could barley see my bow sights when I shot.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Predator Hunting [Re: TCTex.] #80763 01/02/2011 9:33 PM
Anniex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Can one of you experienced in this..please tell me how you would do a hunt
For example, time of day, baited? , near ecaller, open field, edge of woods etc.

I would love to hear an example
Thanks

Ann
HHI # 8353

~John Wayne~

Re: Predator Hunting [Re: Anniex] #80764 01/02/2011 10:34 PM
punkinslinger Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Anniex,

I can tell you how I do it here in North Dakota, I would say these principals would apply most anywhere. Seems like when a coyote or fox is hungry they will come in to most any call. I've had luck early morning and mid afternoon (fox and coyote about all we have here) a light breeze helps. If you can stay out of sight on the way to the stand and try not to be to noisy, find a drain, draw, tree row, even a fence line. If you think a deer or pheasant would use it for cover so will a coyote fox etc. Use something to break up your outline,(I use snow camo here) watch the down wind side if you are alone, if there are two or more hunters, I like to sit back to back or atleast close enough to communicate. Find a rise or high spot with cover for you, get comfortable for shooting, let things settle out for 5-10 minutes start with a quiet call, mouse or vole squeak only once or twice, then scan the surrounding area look for movement. If you see nothing then I switch to a louder call maybe rabbit distress, a series of calls every 2-3 min don't over do it, small animals small lungs. Trial and error, believe me they all will let you know when you screw it up. I only stay 30 to 45 min in one spot before moving to another, but depends on conditions, deep snow it is going to take them longer to get there. If there is deep snow set up by a trail, deer, coyote, even cow path they will use it to their advantage. There are alot of people who say it is a science, perhaps, I say either they are hungry or they are not. I have done sets where I know there are yotes and thrown the book at them and nothing, then the next three sets in a row damn near been run over.I think hunting pressure has more to do with it than technique, educate them once, they won't soon forget. The biggest thing don't get discouraged, there are a lot of dvd's out on predator hunting, they all shoot alot of predators on every stand through the miracle of editing. I will use some of these dvd's to perfect my technique, or compare my call sounds and style to theirs, the main thing is, remember to have fun and don't forget when calling predators they think you are their next meal.

I tried to post a link, but could not make it work. Go to you tube and search Randy Anderson or coyote calling this will give you an idea on calling techniques.

Good Luck, KJ

The good Lord gives us "Life" a "Window Of Opportunity" what we do with this opportunity, defines who we are and what we become.
Re: Predator Hunting [Re: punkinslinger] #80773 01/03/2011 12:42 AM
Anniex Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
thanks KJ for the advice

Ann
HHI # 8353

~John Wayne~

Re: Predator Hunting [Re: Anniex] #80777 01/03/2011 1:36 AM
Russell Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
There are no absolutes in calling coyotes, as soon as a caller/predator hunter says a coyote "always" or a coyote "won't", the very next one will make a 'liar' out of him. Generally though, coyotes are most active at night, but for those of us who hunt/call in states where night hunting is illegal, it's early morning/late evening. But, remember, never say always or won't, because you can call them up after 10:00 and before 5:00, if it's been colder than usual, there are a lot of coyotes and food sources are stretched thin, or if the durn thing just feels like checking to see what the commotion is about.

What works for me in NE Oklahoma (Kansas, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, or Arizona)may not work east of the Mississippi, or then again.....there is no set answer, technique or style.

The main thing above all else to to have fun and enjoy matching wits with a smart critt'r. Don't get discouraged and pay attention to what the coyote is telling you whether you connect or not. After 46yrs of chasing them, I still learn something and am amazed by them every time I go out. For me it beats any other animal I've hunted.

If you want to see how others do it, some videos I recomend are put out by Randy Anderson (Primos Game Calls), Al Morris (Hunter's Specialities)Byron South (Coming to the Call), or Jeff and Les Johnson (Predator Quest). There are others, but these are some good ones. There are also several predator hunting forums that contain good advice.

Keep the wind in your face, the sun at your back, and forget about the time. You'll succede.

It's not the gun, but the man behind it.

Sheriff Russell Cottle, Ret.
USMC; 1967-1970; Vietnam-'68-'69
Re: Predator Hunting [Re: Russell] #80782 01/03/2011 2:13 AM
paul0 Offline
anniex,, here is a site that is loaded with great info and people, http://www.predatormasters.com, good luck ..

Re: Predator Hunting [Re: paul0] #80785 01/03/2011 5:04 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
You have received some excellent advise and I am not sure I can add much if anything. Every single time I think I have these coyotes figured out they (yes the Coyotes) teach me a new lesson.

In my part of the world (northeastern South Dakota) there are a lot of people out calling these days. Generally speaking up here anyway when we get to this time of the year there isn't hardly a Coyote alive that hasn't heard a screaming rabbit call.

Up here anyway we are going to be getting into the breeding season here in a few short weeks. At that time of the year I have had the best results with Coyote Howls, Female Invitation Howls, Challange Howls and plain old Here I am Greeting Howls. Coyotes are very territorial and during the breeding season and denning seasons this trait increases. I have called in Coyotes only to have them come so far and stop. It took a long time to figure it out and hunting in the same spot but I finally figured out the Coyotes were stopping at the edge of their territory and didn't want to cross that line.

A lot of people won't believe this but I have called in and killed Coyotes (and a Fox or two) while I was sitting in a vehicle. The key is I knew there were Coyotes there. I don't believe the Coyotes saw me drive up to that spot and stop and there was no movement.

In the past two years I have taken 20 Coyotes (not a lot buy a lot of Predator Hunters normal harvest) but in over half of those I knew the Coyotes were there and used nothing but a bulb type mouse squeaker.

As stated sometimes Coyotes come to the call because they are hungry. Other times it may be for territorial reason. I swear some times Coyotes come to the call because they are curious, because no other theory makes sence.

Good luck on your hunt.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: Predator Hunting [Re: Larry in SD] #80791 01/03/2011 3:53 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
sscoyote, and sometimes I will hunt them by spotting them, and then stalking them.
This takes more open country, but it is a lot of fun.
Steve/sscoyote would be one to talk to as well, since he loves hunting yotes
\:\)

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Predator Hunting [Re: Ernie] #80814 01/04/2011 1:58 AM
muddydog Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
I set my caller up with the sun to my back and crosswind of me. Most all critters will approach the call from the downwind side.Try to set up in the shade and use good camo. If nite hunting I usually call from the truck and use a red lense on my light. Some hunters leave the light on continually while calling, once they come in dont shine the light directly on them,but keep them in the halo. As previously stated if they are hungry they will come running! My favoirite call is a cottontail distress

Last edited by muddydog; 01/04/2011 1:59 AM.
Re: Predator Hunting [Re: muddydog] #80841 01/04/2011 3:47 PM
ourway77 Offline
stranger
stranger
Ernie (Gun Slinger)Just found the sight, I am always looking for new sights to view and learn. It's always a pleasure to see your name on posts. I have learned quite a bit reading your posts. You never have to take a back seat to no-one when it comes to handguns. I really enjoy reading your replies to various posts, I have learned quite a bit by reading them. Lou

Re: Predator Hunting [Re: ourway77] #80844 01/04/2011 4:34 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Lou,
Welcome to HH!
Good to see you here.
Thank you for your kind words.
I responded to your neck turning question.

Ernie the Un-Tactical

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod