Next Thread
Print Thread
What should I be looking at in a 2nd hand Redhawk? #81380 01/15/2011 3:52 PM
Matabele Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hi all,

Still deciding whether to hold off for a Super Blackhawk, but have been offered a 2nd hand .44 Redhawk. Could you all give me some pointers as to what to look for to make sure the gun is in good condition and hasnt been abused etc.?? This will be my first revolver so not really sure what to look out for.

Thanks!

Oh what are your opinions of the Redhawk for hunting (its 7.5" barrel If I remember correctly)??

Re: What should I be looking at in a 2nd hand Redhawk? [Re: Matabele] #81391 01/15/2011 7:52 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Morning.
I've never seen a Redhawk that was hurt so no specifics other than normal revolver stuff. Action feels good, cylinder locks when gun is cocked slowly in single action, general appearance, bore condition, & chamber appearance (bought a used DW one time that had a groove in one chamber & wouldn't eject brass from that chamber. Made it a 5 shooter).
The feel between the Redhawk & the Blackhawks is drasticaly different, so go with ever you prefer (I would think you will have a preferencs, most folks do.). Either will make a great hunting revolver, especially in the factory "Hunter" models (make it easy to add & remove a scope)..

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Re: What should I be looking at in a 2nd hand Redhawk? [Re: Vance in AK.] #81397 01/15/2011 9:44 PM
Snyd Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Here's a good checklist to get you headed in the right direction.
http://thefiringline.com/Misc/library/Revolver-check.html

Remember that with Ruger DA revolvers they don't have the "Bank Vault" lockup like a Colt. That's fine. Cylinder gap should be .004-.006 maaaybe .003. with really no more than about .005 endshake. Make sure the forcing cone is not all messed up and the the crown isn't damaged. Check the top strap just above the forcing cone for flame cutting.

It's pretty hard to wear out a Ruger. Most of them get carried a lot more than they get shot. Good luck!

Last edited by Snyd; 01/15/2011 9:46 PM.
Re: What should I be looking at in a 2nd hand Redhawk? [Re: Snyd] #81416 01/16/2011 10:50 AM
Matabele Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for the info gents, just what I was looking for! Appreciate it.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod