Next Thread
Print Thread
Some DIY work on a SS Super Blackhawk? #81910 01/26/2011 9:16 AM
Matabele Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hi all,

Ive got a SB on the way and was thinking about doing some DIY owrk on it. Ive got a Belt Mountain base pin, am going to order A bowen target sight. But what do you think of the power custom free wheel spin pawl...worth doing, and something I could install myself (Im not a gunsmith, but handy with tools). What about reaming out the cylinders to consistent size. What do you think of this tool from Midway?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=950004

Do I need a lathe to use the reamer or can I do it the same way a tap and die set is used?

What about a Wolff replacement spring kit, worth it...im guessing thats not too difficult to install.

Anything else Im missing?

Last edited by Matabele; 01/26/2011 9:18 AM.
Re: Some DIY work on a SS Super Blackhawk? [Re: Matabele] #82157 01/30/2011 4:42 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
I would wait on the reamer untill I had a chance to do some measureing, as you may not need it. The belt mtn. base pin and free spin pawl would be good upgrades though. Just go slow and read the directions first,twice! then procede slowly. If you hit a snag stop, and reread the directions twice more. The reamer is
fairly easy to use and is turned by hand with a T handle ,not supplied with reamer,use plenty of cutting fluid and clean out chips often. The wolf spring kits are nice too.
The directions reminder is for me more than you, as I sometimes
rush in blind and have to stop and regroup. Have fun,go slow, you will do fine. A nice set of Hogue or Pachmayr grips would finish it off nicely.

junebug
Re: Some DIY work on a SS Super Blackhawk? [Re: Matabele] #82179 01/30/2011 7:46 PM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
 Quote:
What about reaming out the cylinders to consistent size.

I wouldn't assume that they aren't. Shoot it before you start carving on it.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 104 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod