Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Need help with 308 [Re: Gregg Richter] #85859 04/05/2011 12:49 AM
WheelchairBandit Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Just sent the gun back. That cost $121.43. Including the $35 that I paid to have it shipped to me, I'm out $156.

And the guy I bought it from thinks I'm jerking him around.

My head hurts right now.

Brian.

Smokey,this is not 'Nam.This is bowling.There are rules.
Re: Need help with 308 [Re: WheelchairBandit] #85861 04/05/2011 1:24 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
if you were gonna have to pay all that to ship it back.....why couldn't you have just put a new barrel on it n called it good?....other than principle i reckon....lol.

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Need help with 308 [Re: KYODE] #85862 04/05/2011 1:37 AM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Would have cost $500-$600 to have JD put a new barrel and brake on it. Then I would have been in it for close to $2,000. If I'm spending that much, I'll just order an HS Precision and not have to monkey with anything.

Brian.

Re: Need help with 308 [Re: WheelchairBandit] #85871 04/05/2011 11:32 AM
KYODE Offline
Shooting Expert
Shooting Expert
i was thinking more like having a mcgowan barrel put on it for a lot more reasonable $, or some other cheaper options. no.....i wouldn't put a $500-$600 barrel on either!

Kentucky….no place like home.
Re: Need help with 308 [Re: WheelchairBandit] #85889 04/05/2011 4:12 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
 Originally Posted By: WheelchairBandit
 Originally Posted By: TCTex.
Shooting loads too hot IMHO...

I think shooting without regards to barrel temperature is what did it, along with general negligance in cleaning.

Originally Posted By: TCTex.
If I had to guess the reason they got rid of it is because it wasn’t grouping anymore... ...

The dealer I bought it from claimed he shot it and that it was "accurate". I didn't ask him to define what he meant by "accurate". I'm sure it would keep all shots on a pie plate at 50 yards, but that's not exactly the kind of accuracy I'm looking for out of a custom XP-100.

Brian.

I wonder if he shot military surplus ammo in it and never cleaned it. Some of the older stuff is corrosive!!!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Need help with 308 [Re: cfish2] #85893 04/05/2011 4:29 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
That is an excellent guess and also very likely.
I had not thought of that.

To all,
I guess I would warn anyone when buying a used gun like this, unless you personally know them and or have seen the gun beforehand and shot it, I would keep offers at a level, knowing that there is a possibility that barrel replacement, bedding, etc., may need to be done.
E

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Need help with 308 [Re: cfish2] #85895 04/05/2011 4:50 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: cfish2

I wonder if he shot military surplus ammo in it and never cleaned it. Some of the older stuff is corrosive!!!

That's a VERY good point that I hadn't thought of before. It's very likely. It has certainly been neglected.

Brian.

Re: Need help with 308 [Re: Ernie] #85896 04/05/2011 5:10 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: Ernie
To all,
I guess I would warn anyone when buying a used gun like this, unless you personally know them and or have seen the gun beforehand and shot it, I would keep offers at a level, knowing that there is a possibility that barrel replacement, bedding, etc., may need to be done.
E

Can't agree with you more Ernie. This is the LAST firearm I buy online that isn't A)New in the box and unfired and/or B)from someone who I know on a personal level.

You wouldn't believe how many times this kind of stuff has happened to me. Back before online gun sales got real big, I bought a rifle out of The Gun List, which was a newspaper style publication where people from around the country could put ad's in selling their firearms and accessories. A guy from somewhere back east had a Remington 141 pump rifle in 30 Remington. I had always wanted one, and this one was listed as being in 100% condition. It was also priced like a gun in 100% condition, which was right about $500 at that time (this was a lllonnggg time ago). I'd figure I'd bite the bullet and pay the extra money to get one that was like new. The rifle got to my dealer, and I started laughing before I had even finished pulling the rifle out of the box. The grip on the buttstock was still tacky from where they had taken off the black electric tape, which was there because there were two big cracks at the wrist. There was about 10% blue left on the action, maybe 20% on the barrel. The slide was heavily pitted. About the only thing that wasn't wrong with it was the bore, which looked like glass. I called the owner up and ran down the description of the rifle, and then asked "How could this possibly be 100%". The guy goes, "No no no! I meant 100% FUNCTIONAL!" The only thing that stopped me from just shipping it right back was the fact that the guy sounded like he was about 85 years old. He said he only sold the rifle because they had outlawed the use of rifles in his state for deer, and he was going to buy a scoped shotgun. He told me to shoot the rifle, and that I wouldn't be dissapointed. I figured what the heck, so I took it out to the range. EVERY load I shot out of it shot cloverleaf groups at 100 yards. That took the sting out of it quite a bit.

I've had other bizarre things happen buying guns online - I had an Anschutz rifle show up in about 3 different pieces. Seller (who is/was a BIG TIME dealer) claimed it was broken in shipping. The years of old dust that were in the areas where the stock was broken told a different tale. That cost me shipping both ways on, and I was sure to tell UPS that it definetly WASN'T broken in shipping and to not pay the guy the insurance money.

I'm pretty tolerant when I buy a gun online - if a guy says it's in 98% condition, I don't gripe if it's 90%. Anything within reason is fine, since I know that a lot of people simply don't know how to grade guns. But I've had situations where I have asked "Are there any cracks in the stock of this rifle", and owner says no, and then the gun shows up and has two VERY obvious 3 inch long cracks in the wrist with an old bolt screwed through it and the cracks willed with epoxy.

You can't make some of this stuff up. On some level I find it funny, but if I added up how much money I've spent shipping back wildly misrepresented guns, it would be more than enough to buy several nice guns. I'm just finally tired of all the hassle and costs.

Brian.

Re: Need help with 308 [Re: KYODE] #85897 04/05/2011 5:16 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: KYODE
i was thinking more like having a mcgowan barrel put on it for a lot more reasonable $, or some other cheaper options. no.....i wouldn't put a $500-$600 barrel on either!

The whole reason I bought the gun was due to the fact it was an SSK custom. I have three of JD's barrels, and not only do they shoot with an insane amount of accuracy, they are the easiest bores to clean that I've ever run across. I really wanted this gun because Doc Rogers is always raving about how well his SSK XP's shoot. I knew if it was half as accurate as the SSK T/C barrels I have, I'd be tickled pink.

I'm pretty disappointed to say the least.

Brian.

Re: Need help with 308 [Re: WheelchairBandit] #85898 04/05/2011 5:16 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Most of us have to learn the hard way-Including me.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Need help with 308 [Re: Ernie] #85899 04/05/2011 5:17 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

You would think I would have learned after like the 10th gun I had to send back. Guess I'm dumber than I thought I was!

Brian.

Re: Need help with 308 [Re: WheelchairBandit] #85901 04/05/2011 5:30 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
This is the kind of stuff that I'm talking about right here. Read the description, then look CLOSELY at the pictures.

Description says the stock "Looks new without a magnifying glass."

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=223617120

Brian.

Re: Need help with 308 [Re: Ernie] #85902 04/05/2011 5:43 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Yep, i've had my lemon moment. Here is a good way to protect yourself from fraud and abuse. When you purchase from an unknown entity. Find out what city they are from, go online and find a reputable gun dealer who will be willing to do the following. First you want to send the dealer the money order etc, not the seller, next have the sellar bring the gun to the dealerfor his examination. He can tell you everything you need to know about the gun, hopefully! Then he can ship the gun to your FFL dealer and you know that you haven't been ripped off thru fraud or deception. If the sellar won't participate in this deal then I would walk away!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Need help with 308 [Re: cfish2] #85903 04/05/2011 5:43 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Same here... ... ...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Need help with 308 [Re: cfish2] #85906 04/05/2011 5:53 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
 Originally Posted By: cfish2
Yep, i've had my lemon moment. Here is a good way to protect yourself from fraud and abuse. When you purchase from an unknown entity. Find out what city they are from, go online and find a reputable gun dealer who will be willing to do the following. First you want to send the dealer the money order etc, not the seller, next have the sellar bring the gun to the dealerfor his examination. He can tell you everything you need to know about the gun, hopefully! Then he can ship the gun to your FFL dealer and you know that you haven't been ripped off thru fraud or deception. If the sellar won't participate in this deal then I would walk away!

That's solid advise.

Brian.

Re: Need help with 308 [Re: WheelchairBandit] #86104 04/12/2011 12:27 AM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Got my refund today. Ended up costing me $156 for this little adventure. That's a pretty cheap way to finally learn your lesson.

Brian.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 122 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod