Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story #85345 03/25/2011 10:04 AM
sscoyote Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Guys after seeing his new T-Rex gun he just had built, it reminded me of an interesting story i heard him tell me once. Back in the day (80's?) he was preaching (both religion and long range) down in TX somewhere. He got pretty well known around those parts as the shooting preacher no doubt and got to know a lot of the local cops. At the time he had a BR-type long range RIFLE (believe it or not) in some wildcat 6.5 cal. Had a nice big old Leupold optic on top and it looked BAD-TO-THE-BONE, let me tell you.

Well he gets a call 1 day from the cops about this dog in this small town of his who was wreaking havoc with the locals--more than Ernie himself actually (yeah--i know, hard as it is to believe). They wanted him to shoot it with his super-duper rifle if they could get it cornered. Well before u know it all helll breaks loose and everybody's gotta' check it out. All through the wires it's going around about the local cops trying to shoot a "perp" (short for perpetrator, I guess. Cop lingo I suppose). Anyway Ernie and all his police buddies are set up over the hood of a pickup ready to do some blastin' when this state cop (i think it was) shows up on the scene all excited wondering what in the heck is going on with this civilian getting ready to shoot a criminal (the perp). Supposed to be all freaked out about it i guess. When they tell him it's actually a dog and not a guy he calms down i guess. The way E tells it though it was a GREAT story. Here's to wishin' i'd have been there for that 1. Never did get the dog though, i hear--dang perps!

Just brought this story to mind when i saw the T-Rex gun, and thought u guys might get a kick out of it. I know i sure did.

Sorry for the interrupt guys. Carry on!

Steve
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: sscoyote] #85348 03/25/2011 12:20 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one... ... ...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: TCTex.] #85367 03/25/2011 8:16 PM
sscoyote Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Hooorahhh!

Steve
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: TCTex.] #85372 03/26/2011 12:17 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Could you imagine whipping together a dog posse like that in this day and age...... That is a classic tale, I can picture the details...... Oh the good ole days.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: s4s4u] #85373 03/26/2011 1:58 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
When I have more time to type, I will explain it better. It ended up being quite funny. This was in the early 90's when it happened.

It was a deputy sheriff that got all excited.

I was working with a highway patrolman and two city policemen (they knew it was just a dog).

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: Ernie] #85375 03/26/2011 4:03 AM
Macsgunworks Offline
stranger
stranger
Right, LOL

Guns are awsome, guns are fun, pull the trigger and it's all done.
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: Macsgunworks] #85435 03/27/2011 3:46 AM
nmhunter Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Now that makes more sense. a natural progression< started with a dog and progressed to a """"GOOSE"""" LOL
!!SO Ernie !!what's next????? LOL
nmhunter

Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: nmhunter] #85441 03/27/2011 4:16 AM
Larry in SD Offline
addict
addict
Ernie a Designated Shooter, imagine that. Am I going to start seeing adds on Law Enforcement Publications advertising Ernie's talents for hire? Who knows Ernie, that might end up being a whole new line of work for you.

Larry

T/C Handguns, One good shot for your moment of truth !
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: Larry in SD] #85443 03/27/2011 4:48 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Thats funny! It reminds me of the "carp" story on The Andy Griffith show.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: pab1] #85444 03/27/2011 5:20 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
You guys are too much!

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: Ernie] #85467 03/27/2011 8:54 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
It wouldn't have been funny had not the misunderstanding took place.
Rifle was a Rem XP-100 action, McMillan Stock (Camo), Shilen Select match Barrel/Heavy Barrel. Chambering was a 6.5x308 Improved. Leupold 6.5-20 with target turrets. Used 140 SMK's. Shilen competition trigger I think.
Where I lived at the time no one shot at distance.
Lived in a small town just over 1,000 people and on the west side of town where two streets paralleling each other, lasting for about 5-6 blocks.
On the northern most street there was open pasture/wheat field at the time.
There was the chief of police and one other office.
We also had highway patrolman that lived in town.
In the county there was the sheriff and one deputy sheriff.

There was almost all white dog that was a mixture of breeds that had some pit bull in him. He was not a mean dog, but a smart dog that was tearing up property. The city boys could not catch him after several attempts.
That is when I received a phone call. They set me up at the most northern street in a intersection which was a "T" with the a squad car that had been a highway patrol car (Mustang) that had no light bar on the hood. I set-up with the rifle on top of the hood, shooting off of a bi-pod with a rear bag facing north.
I had radio beside me so I could know what was happening.
The dog had been located in town, and the two policemen and one trooper where trying to push the dog out into this open field where he could be dispatched safely.
Since about everyone in town had a scanner they gave me a code name.

NOTE: Also about 3 miles out to of town there is a 500 bed county facility, that houses state inmates.
I was just standing there enjoying the chatter knowing that the dog was slowly being pushed toward me hoping the dog would slow down or stop in the open field. I didn't want to miss and embarrass myself.

Of course they were not calling the dog, a "dog."
They were using the word "perp" and other times other descriptions like "he". Anyway about 10 minutes or so into this I see the deputy sheriff slowly pull up a block to my east and just stop. I know him and he knows who I am. All three branches can hear each others radio talk.
But, he doesn't come over and say "Hi" he just stays in his car watching me and looking around.
The dog is about to be pushed into the field so I go down on the gun and put the bolt down and get behind the scope.
I am waiting for the dog to show and then I hear, "Stand Down Stand Down!" we have lost him. I pop the bolt open and get off the gun.
Then, the deputy slowly drives over to me.
I was expecting the normal small talk, but instead I get his anger.

The first thing out of his mouth was, "Why weren't we (sheriff's office) notified? " This was repeated several times-seriously.

Then, "You know the sheriff's department is to be the first responder in these situations."

Well, I had several things going through my mind, besides confusion.

Then, "Why wasn't the sheriff's office notified that a dangerous prisoner has escaped?"

This is when I butted in and stopped the tirade.
I said, "I wasn't called out here to take out a inmate."

Before I could finish, he interrupted me and said, "Well, if they called you in it had to be a serious situation."

Then I laughed. He didn't think it was very funny, but it just came out.
I said, "It was not person, I don't do two-legged critters."
It Was A DOG!"
His facial expression was definitely a "Kodak Moment."
Then a sheepish expression, some muttering, and a brief goodbye as he headed to his patrol car. Several minutes later when the dog posse came to me to tell me the story of how the dog outwitted them, I was able to tell me story.
They thought the story was hilarious, and I can promise you the deputy sheriff had to put up with some teasing in the days and weeks to come.

It would have just been an interesting afternoon with a let down, with no trigger work had the deputy sheriff not come along.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: Ernie] #85483 03/28/2011 2:35 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I can imagine what was going through his mind. Great story.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: s4s4u] #85486 03/28/2011 3:44 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Thank you.
The thing that surprised/shocked me was that he thought I was the logical choice to take out an escaped convict.

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
I can imagine what was going through his mind. Great story.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: Ernie] #85515 03/28/2011 5:55 PM
wheelguns Offline
old hand
old hand
Great story Ernie,thanks for sharing it with us.LOL

Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: wheelguns] #85538 03/29/2011 1:54 AM
sscoyote Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Ernie--if an escaped convict would have ran out into that field do u think that cop would have let u shoot him?
Gives a whole new meaning to the word "varmint"--ehh?

Man i can just picture you gettin' down on that gun about to put it all to the test! That dog must have had an uneasy feeling the closer he got to the field. Little did he know though that he was about to meet his maker via Ernie Bishop. Bet it was one disappointment. Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!!

Steve
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: sscoyote] #85539 03/29/2011 2:06 AM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
I assume so, because that was what he was expecting me to do and assumed I was called up to do.
He never signaled me, radioed me, or tried to wave me off.
He could have done that easily as we had eye contact multiple times.
And, he saw me go down on the gun and close the bolt.
He knew I was there to shoot, he just had the species completely wrong

Originally Posted By: sscoyote
Ernie--if an escaped convict would have ran out into that field do u think that cop would have let u shoot him?

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: Ernie] #85623 03/30/2011 4:42 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Steve,
IF, a convict would have popped into that open field, I would not have done anything except make sure my muzzle was not pointed in his direction.
First, I wasn't out there for that.
And, how would I know for sure it really was a convict?

Why would I automatically shoot even if I knew it was a convict?
I would not.
Not all of them are dangerous.

I know I would have radioed for help IF I knew it was an escaped convict. Since, I had a number LE's really close.

If someone was threatening my life or someone else's life that is a completely different story. I guess I really do not know what I would do until it actually happened.

Taking the life of a person is a very serious thing to me. I don't want to ever have to do that in all seriousness.

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: Ernie] #85646 03/31/2011 4:06 AM
Macsgunworks Offline
stranger
stranger
Not even if they made you really mad? Just joking hot rod don't get mad, Ernie stop hitting me, Ouch stop it. LOL I owe you just a little, LOL.
GOD BLESS,
Chuck

Guns are awsome, guns are fun, pull the trigger and it's all done.
Re: An Interesting Ernie Bishop Story [Re: Macsgunworks] #85662 03/31/2011 2:03 PM
Tobias_Dunlap Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Did they call in a sketch artist to draw up a wanted poster after he escaped?

WANTED Fido "MAD DOG" Barnett
for peeing on fire hydrants, chasing mail men and confusing sherrifs.
Bring in at any cost

Thats the kind of story that never gets old. Thanks so much for sharing Ernie.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The handgun is the badge of the free, self reliant, undaunted individualist who epitomizes the spirit of the United States of America.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 94 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod