Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shop is taking shape #85647 03/31/2011 5:52 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
My new shop is finally taking shape I've been through the ringer with getting things set up and realizing things I had forgot. I should be completely done and back to work on guns instead of the shop by next week. Here are a few pics as it's taking shape and once it's completely done I'll take pics of the entire building.
first off is my new lathe a Grizzly 4003G specifically designed for gunsmithing.

this is my new mill, I also have a much smaller version which I just ordered a new head assembly for.

this pic was taken before covering my table in tools and equipment. in order from the large lathe is my oak machinist box, small lathe and color case hardening oven.

these are of the polishing and drilling side of my bench, where the scroll saw is now I will probably be mounting my small mill.

sign my wife made before I changed the name of my business and the bottom one was one I oftened pointed toward when I was still in auto repair.

welding and sanding bench

Ruger parts inventory

already mess although hopefully better organized by the time I start working this is my main workbench.

This last pic is a flag I found and with the name of the business being Dixie I thought it fit well in the shop.

I'll add more pics as things take shape a little more and once everything else is done. At this point I have one more roll away tool box to move in as well a small safe and a large locking cabinet and of course my desk. I definitely could have used a larger building but you go with what you can afford at the time and make the best of it.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: wapitirod] #85648 03/31/2011 6:12 AM
pab1 Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Looks good Rod!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: pab1] #85651 03/31/2011 6:51 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Looking good Rod! Those walls look mighty thin for winter time work. It always takes more time and money than we think it should,but you will get it. Good luck and don't push that back to hard.

junebug
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: junebug] #85652 03/31/2011 8:01 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
your right about the walls but I wanted to get working as fast as possible and with spring coming up I figured I had the summer to take care of insulation. The stuff I'm looking at using is an aluminum vapor barrier but unlike most of the stuff I've looked at it's almost 2" thick and comes in 4' wide rolls. the width will come in handy as the contractor did a crappy job on the framing so it will be easier to run the insulation horizontal in the 4' sections. I was going to wall it in but with the way it was framed it would be a major pain. I'm still up in the air between either wood or electric heat but I'll get to that before this winter. Of course if this chain of quakes keeps making the circle my place will be under roughly 30' of water. It was entertaining during this last tsunami from japan, people were running for the hills. All I can say after seeing how these idiots acted with seven hrs and a 2' wave I can't to see what happens when the cascadia fault goes and we have 15-20 minutes to get out of the way of 30-40 ft of water.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: wapitirod] #85653 03/31/2011 11:39 AM
Shortgun Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Good looking shop you got there. I like the flag too.

Shortgun

Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: Shortgun] #85655 03/31/2011 12:13 PM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
OH THAT IS A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!!!!!!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: TCTex.] #85656 03/31/2011 12:54 PM
cfish2 Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Great work Rod. Shop looks like its coming along just fine!

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: cfish2] #85660 03/31/2011 1:51 PM
Ernie Offline
Distinguished Master
Distinguished Master
Looks great Rod

Ernie the Un-Tactical
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: Ernie] #85667 03/31/2011 4:03 PM
johnwilliams Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
sweet looking shop!

H.H.I.#8190 Colossians 1:17 And He is before all things,and by Him all things consist!
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: johnwilliams] #85670 03/31/2011 8:44 PM
WyoJoe Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Nice shop. If you are going to be working on handguns I have a Security Six that needs some work.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: TCTex.] #85672 03/31/2011 10:43 PM
KRal Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Rod, you're rock'n and roll'n now!

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: WyoJoe] #85680 04/01/2011 1:03 AM
racksmasher Offline
old hand
old hand
Wishing you the best of luck.

Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: wapitirod] #85684 04/01/2011 5:22 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
You could put tin on the inside walls with some extra support where you want shelves and cabinets. Put on with screws it is easy to remove if you want shelves somewhere you didn't put extra support. An added benifet is you don't have to paint it.
I grew up with wood heat but insurance can be pricey. Maybe wood with some kind of backup so you don't have keep fire in the stove all night to keep things from freezing. Keep pecking at it, You will get it. Just how close to the coast are you?

junebug
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: junebug] #85714 04/02/2011 4:21 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
I am about .5 mi from the bay and 2 miles from the beach as the crow flies. Rust and condensation are constant problems.

Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: wapitirod] #85922 04/06/2011 2:00 AM
DAHLTAILS Offline
AWSOME SHOP!! NIce flag

44 MAG RUGER REDHAWK
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: DAHLTAILS] #85923 04/06/2011 2:32 AM
Gregg Richter Offline
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Good work, Rod!

Now I can't wait to get my special Ruger Single Six in .17 HMR/.17 Mach 2 back from your magic touch; as it is springtime here in the Rockies and I have a rancher itchin' for me to come shoot his prairie dogs...

Dang, what a problem to have!
\:\)
\:\)

Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: Gregg Richter] #85925 04/06/2011 2:53 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Dang Rod, doesn't look like there is anything you aren't equipped for. Looks good.

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: wapitirod] #85926 04/06/2011 3:06 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Being that close to salt water is there anything special you have found and like for rust prevention ,protection? We have high humidity but no salt air.

junebug
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: junebug] #85932 04/06/2011 9:47 AM
Mike S Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
A better source of heat Is a Pellit/Corn Stove, They do require
Electric to run,But will run on a Battery backup (Like used for Computers, Also keeps them running when the power FLICKERS)for a short time.
They are Very Efficent, And make less mess than wood

Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: Mike S] #85996 04/08/2011 10:23 PM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
Junebug, I use three products, if I have moderate to heavy rust deposits I use Naval Jelly to remove it and then if it's paintable I use one of paints like permatex offers that is a rust converter. You remove the majority of rust and spray this stuff on it and it turns to a black primer. I also use a newer product called Evapo Rust which works well with light to moderate rust and a little rubbing after soaking. To stop rust on my machines I've tried ATF, WD40, and the partner product to the Evapo Rust which is Rust Block. The rust block is strictly for stuff out of the weather as it is water soluble but as long as it is being rained or snowed on your fine. I've gone primarily to the block so I don't get the major oil build up. If you have stuff outside I'd use ATF it's thinner than motor oil but thicker than wd 40 so it will hold on better and you can apply it with a plastic spray bottle. Before I got hurt I worked as a shop foreman in a transmission shop and the guys would save old atf in a 5gal bucket and throw their air tools in it at the end of the day and the next morning just wipe them off and go to work.

Gregg, your gun is just short of bluing, I've been trying to get caught up enough so I can blue multiple guns at once as I have several from customers and I've actually quit taking work until I'm caught up. I really screwed up on this deal. I have underestimated every part of starting this business as far as time and money but I'm deep into it both ways now so there is no going back.

The worst thing is when crap like my surgery comes up. It has set me back a month or two. The surgery went great but it slowed me down and I've pushed too hard and for the second time now I'm down sick and worn. I know it will all come around but I feel bad because I haven't been able to meet the time tables I gave you or Ed Folmar, fortunately Dan B isn't in a hurry and the other customers I have I was able to forewarn. I've had several people locally want me to look at stuff for them as well as some on this site but I finally had to put the brakes on so I can get healthy and get running right so I'm making sure my quality is above quantity.

You guys have been a great source of inspiration and I appreciate it and I look forward to being leveled out enough that I can have a business that concentrates on the handgun hunter. I can't and won't try to re invent the wheel but I will give you my best and treat your guns as if they were my own. It's times like this I reflect on Tig. I sent Tigs wolf a letter after his passing telling her how much of an inspiration he was to me. I've had to deal with some of the worst pain imagineable but I always knew it wasn't terminal and if Tig could fight the fight he did then I could get up in the morning hurting and shrug it off and go to fixing guns..

Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: wapitirod] #85998 04/09/2011 1:13 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
Hoo Yaa Rod!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: TCTex.] #86001 04/09/2011 2:55 AM
wapitirod Offline OP
Shootist
OP Offline
Shootist
thanks Tc, you know how sick I am after talking today but I actually made it out today for a bit and built a barrel and got a little more stuff done. It's amazing even the fixtures I made before won't work with my new equipment so I'm having to start out machining jigs a fixtures before I can even start on guns again.

Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: wapitirod] #86005 04/09/2011 5:08 AM
junebug Offline
Gun Slinger
Gun Slinger
Thanks for the info Rod. Starting a busisness is hard enough when everything goes smooth,but throw in surgery and the pain and worry that goes with it and it get's to be almost to much.
They say adversity shapes our character ,and yours is shining through. Your not putting quantity ahead of quality speaks volumes, about the man you are ,and your ethics. John Wayne called it the big C ,and although he knew he couldn't win said he would fight the fight anyway,one day at a time. I am sure Tigger felt the same way. If you take inspiration from them ,they will never be forgotten, and there struggle was not in vain!

junebug
Re: Shop is taking shape [Re: junebug] #86197 04/14/2011 5:06 PM
Vance in AK. Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hey Rod!

The shop is looking great my friend, & I will be praying that your health holds up so you can start kicking out the quality work you are becoming known for.

I'm still dreaming of having you convert one of my BHs to a plain Jane 480 someday, but that will be at least a year or two down the road due to finances. Worth waiting for I am sure!

Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 103 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod