Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
rcbs carbided dies #103868 02/26/2012 2:49 AM
gene Offline OP
OP Offline
Loading 44 mag and they are a little buldged at the bottom of the case. There is a little at the top with a 300 xtp. So it looks like a hour glass effect. Loaded 180xtp and just a buldge at the bottom. Called rcbs and they said it is fine as long as they fit the gun. They also said that when you use there carbide dies that is what you get a hour glass. Something tells me that is not right. I know you all can't tell me much unless you do them your self. I do know it is happening when I size them. there is about .010 between dies.

Re: rcbs carbided dies [Re: gene] #103872 02/26/2012 3:22 AM
TCTex. Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I think I understand what you are saying. I have had the same effect on some of my 44 Mag rounds. The resizer actually reforms the case, but when you seat the 300 XTP it is larger diameter than the specks of the sizing die.

I have a couple that I will take pictures of and post them latter… Lets see if we are talking about the same thing.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb
Benjamin Franklin
Re: rcbs carbided dies [Re: TCTex.] #103875 02/26/2012 3:30 AM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
It's actually fairly common on straight walled cases. I've had the same issue using Hornady dies with my 458 Win and Lott mags as well as RCBS, Redding and Hornady dies on straight wall handgun rounds. The die is cut a little small in diameter probably from a worn reamer just like Ruger cylinder throats so the case is sized down a little tighter. So far I haven't had any accuracy issues from it. I think it's luck of the draw because I also have dies from all of the above that leave nice straight cases. Bottom line if they chamber and shoot straight then there shouldn't be any problems.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Re: rcbs carbided dies [Re: gene] #103876 02/26/2012 3:36 AM
s4s4u Offline
Shootist
Shootist
That is the way they seem to work. The sizer sizes slightly smaller so that the expander has something to work with. All my straightwalls look a little thinnner in the middle, wish I did ;-)

Rod, too.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod