Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bushnell Backtracker? #136637 10/14/2013 6:27 PM
FAH Offline OP
OP Offline
Does anyone have experience with this item? And which model?Your comments please.
Thanks

Practice Perfect
FAH
Re: Bushnell Backtracker? [Re: FAH] #136644 10/14/2013 10:08 PM
98Redline Offline
old hand
old hand
I may be a little paranoid but I would never trust a GPS device where I couldn't see where on the map I was in relation to where I wanted to go...or get back to. A little electronic arrow pointing this way or that gives you absolutely no information on where you are, how far off your previous course you are, etc...

For $86, I think I would invest in a good compass and a topo map and save your pennies for a real GPS with a display.

Re: Bushnell Backtracker? [Re: 98Redline] #136648 10/15/2013 12:13 AM
Raptortrapper Offline
Shooting Master
Shooting Master
I had one of these. My little cousin bought it for me for my birthday cause he knew I liked "outdoorsy" stuff, as he calls it.

I hated it. I grew up learning how to use a compass and a topo map correctly. Knowing how to allow for declination, reverse bearings and such. That little unit drove me nuts. Trying to remember what button to push, and how many times to push it to make it do what I wanted.

MUCH easier for me to use a cammenga compass, and a topo map. It has NEVER failed me, no batteries to worry about, and frankly, its a skill I think everyone should have at their disposal.

My suggestion is the same as Redline's. Use the money you already have and get the cammenga compass (or something similar), a topo map, and a orienteering book to learn how to use the compass properly, and have money left over. Or keep saving a little longer, and get a better device if you'd rather have the electronic device. The better electronic devices work fine as that is what my dad uses, but I personally don't trust anything that runs on batteries when I'm in the outdoors. Keep a spare with ya, and you'd probably be fine though.

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
karl 1
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod