Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Damaged crown? #137362 10/31/2013 2:25 PM
MattC Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi Guys. I have a question about barrels and accuracy, and I hope the Experts (you all) can help.

I bought a 7mm-08 encore barrel a while back, and I just can't get the thing dialled in. I bought it used, frame and all, and there are 'chips' in the barrel, on the outside of the dangerous end. They are not in the rifling, but the outer edge and it is obviously damage and not an intentional alteration.

When we talk about protecting the Crown of the barrel, are we talking exclusively the rifling part, or can these dings/chips on the outer circumferance cause innacuracy? I have admittedly only taken it to the range a couple of times, and I do have a new scope on it so that is a variable.

I am flumoxed.

Re: Damaged crown? [Re: MattC] #137363 10/31/2013 3:11 PM
doc with a glock Offline
old hand
old hand
MattC,

Mike Bellm, an extremely knowledgeable and experienced gunsmith, that deals with Contenders and Encores, states that many Encore crowns are not cut in line with the bore and hence poor accuracy. He is the man to contact at: http://www.bellmtcs.com or his son at: kurt@bellmtcs.com

Doc

Re: Damaged crown? [Re: doc with a glock] #137370 10/31/2013 9:17 PM
wapitirod Offline
Shootist
Shootist
I agree, while I was still doing the work I found many factory crowns that were out of whack. Mike is a good friend and I highly recommend him for anything T/C.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne-The Shootist

Moderated by  Chance Weldon, Gary, Gregg Richter 

Newest Members
Redhawk41, Striker243, Sxviper, RobbieD, IRONMAN
9668 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Okie Hunter), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod